Kid's MTB Race, 8th Annual Grasshopper, Hilltop Reservation, Saturday, August 12

overbrook

All the kids who aren't yet old enough for NICA can race in the Hilltop Grasshopper! Here's a chance for the older NICA siblings to watch the younger ones who had to wait all day while NICA events happened.

Kids from pre K to grade 8 (based on grade in Fall 2017)

Registration is open and as always, the Kid's Korse is too.

Parents are urged to get the kids out riding using any excuse or inducement.

More updates soon,

Please add to your calendar, write date on a stickie and put on the fridge, tell all your riding crew and let other families know......

overbrook

Yeah, i admit it, i'm posting just to get this kid's race announcement to the top of the page.....i'm willing to bet that every rider thinks that kid's races are worth shouting about........and telling everyone about, there's a gazillion kids in northern NJ who can race this race

8th year for this race and now we also have NICA to provide a venue for kids on bikes but it's never enough.......NICA kids in grade 8 or lower can race along with all their friends and siblings

Unlike the upcoming 6 mile last race of the season for the NJ NICA teams, the grasshopper will also again include a quick few laps for the parents to show off their abilities. Parents or basically anyone who is too old for the grasshopper, that's anyone older than grade 8 this fall, can line up and run 3 fast laps (NICA kids, that basically means anyone in high school in the fall). NICA kids will likely spank most of the adults. No participation ribbons or medals or anything will be awarded but slower riders will be heckled.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Asking for a friend...... how strict are the age groups? Or are they more of a recommendation...

overbrook

Regarding ages and race classes, we are careful to not allow the following, older kids (higher grade in the fall, 2017) can not race in a lower or younger class, that is inexcusable sandbagging. However younger kids can race up a class, in fact it happens every year.

The not kids race, i.e. the race for adults acting like kids, puts everyone in one class, it's not pretty but it is a lot of fun and very competitive even though there are no awards, no participation ribbon and there is a good chance that some local fast highschool kids will kick everyone's butt.

overbrook

This weekend is the Bloomfield bike fest! Younger kids are the focus. See the separate post and get out there with the kids. Note the adult bike race on kids bikes. Be thankful that is not the format for the adult event at the Grasshopper.

overbrook

The kid's korse is going to get some attention later this weekend in preparation for the races in august, expect a track that is very similar to last year with a possible change at the very end before it pops out on the paved roadway. It is not too early to pre ride and train a bit on that trail, it's a great way to get out with kids for a shred and explore a bit of the Hilltop Reservation.
Thanks to Cycle Craft and JORBA for helping again this season. And thanks to NICA for creating a buzz about kid racing.

overbrook

Kid's racing in the Hilltop is about a month away. Adult racing with the kids is about a month away.
The course has been trimmed and is definitely a bit faster than last season, thanks to lots of traffic and minor improvements.
Do tell everyone about it. Do start training because if you are riding with the kids at 1030 you can be sure it's going to be competitive.

overbrook

over 20 kids are already pre registered, thanks for that! hope the local shops are seeing kids come in for tuneups or new bikes!

help spread the news about this event, support it however you can, volunteer at the race, post a flyer, get a plane with a banner to fly all over essex and surrounding counties

happy trails, even happier trails when kids get out on their bikes on those trails

overbrook

latest tally, 33 racers already registered, spread over all 4 age groups, shaping up to be a good day of kid's racing

and kids regularly spotted doing practice laps......and that training works....while doing some simple maintenance, ran into a young girl who podiumed every year, guess what she was doing last weekend

the kid's korse is riding very fast, thanks to lots of riders burning it in

on friday evening at 53pm, Aug 11 volunteers are needed to help set up and add a final buffing to the official korse, we'll be blowing it out and weed trimming as needed and putting up the caution tape

and quick reminder, the adult fun race is at 1030, depending on who shows up, it might be humbling, tortuous or comical, but definitely fun

overbrook

shaping up to be a great turnout this season, likely lots of the 45 registered kids are indirectly associated with NICA and want to get in on the fun of racing.

course was just blown out and is shred ready, totally doable challenge for all kids on real mtb type terrain

many thanks in advance to lots of people and cycle craft for making this event happen and spreading the word

domo

is there a raindate?
forecast is for showers in the morning

asking for a friend
thanks
shaping up to be a great turnout this season, likely lots of the 45 registered kids are indirectly associated with NICA and want to get in on the fun of racing.

course was just blown out and is shred ready, totally doable challenge for all kids on real mtb type terrain

many thanks in advance to lots of people and cycle craft for making this event happen and spreading the word

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Curious about rain as well. Looks like chance of AM showers.... rain delay?

Is this the best place to check up to date status?

I'm over an hour away and trying to figure out game plan. Getting 4 kids under the age of 8 loaded up by 6am is formidable task lol

moose35

Zoe and i just wanted to say thanks to all that make this race happen. We had a great time. Course was excellent today. The Outlaw race was a great time as well. (The nica kids are fast)

Matt_

I Get Jokes
^Ditto. Thanks a lot for all the hard work everyone put in making the day a success and fun for everyone! This was a fun group of people to spend the day with!

And thanks to @moose35 for staying on my case to get my kids signed up for a race. They're hooked!

The 3 Amigos:
2017-08-12 14.07.14.jpg

Matt_

I Get Jokes
These kids have more bling in their wheels than my whole bike.

:D only thing stock on my daughters bike is the aluminum under the paint.... but she designed and helped build it (was my son's red Superfly 20, cheaper and better to do a complete rebuild than sell and buy the girls version)

20170311_132928-1.jpg

Son's bike ain't to shabby either, but the elves get to take credit for his wheel build. :(

Top Bottom