Kid's Mountain Bike Race, Hilltop Grasshopper, Saturday, August 17

overbrook

Race day is coming and last year's competitors know they have to start working now for a podium spot and medals.

Saturday, August 17 @ 9:00 AM first race @ the Hilltop Reservation, North Caldwell

This is the Fourth Annual Kid’s Bike Race in the Hilltop in North Caldwell in Essex County, NJ

The Essex County Parks Department and JORBA and the Hilltop Conservancy invite all bike racers, grades k - 8 to come and ride and race for prizes on a specially prepared 0.6 mile Kid's Korse. You can practice ride the Kid's Korse right now, it's marked and clear.

The spectator friendly course is next to the sports field parking lot on Courter Lane and Mountain Avenue in North Caldwell.

Registration opens at 7:30 AM and competition starts at 9:00 AM for the youngest competitors, K – 1st grade. There is a $10.00 registration fee per participant which includes a bicycle technical inspection. Any bike in good working order is eligible to race. Grade level is grade in Fall 2013

Classes for boys and girls K – 1st grade, 2nd – 3rd grade, 4th – 5th grade, 6th – 8th grade, with prizes for top 3 class finishers.

Helmets are mandatory.

Cheering and racing vicariously through the kids is strongly encouraged.

To Pre-Register online

o visit Bikereg.com and Hilltop Grasshopper Kids Bike Race

For up to the minute details and links to maps, see

o Hilltop Grasshopper Kid's Race | JORBA - You Dig?
o Map of the Hilltop Reservation Trails

You have probably heard that this is a great event to give your kids a taste of the fun and excitement of racing......please please help bring out more kids and help distribute this event notice any way you can.....kids on bikes, it's all good

Volunteers are needed to help on race day, email hilltopkidsrace@gmail.com with questions or send a private message through this forum

overbrook

keep this morning open for the kids to get out and race.....this event is successful because there's so many parents who are willing to bring the out the racers and encourage them to go for it

the kid's korse is open all the time for training and figuring out the fast lines.....and it's been revised somewhat this season .....enjoy

overbrook

just under 30 days until the first race start for boys and girls, k - 1

the kid's korse is always open for training, but if you can't make it there, get out and ride at your local single track to be ready for some seriously fun racing .....

and take some time to work with the kids to tune that bike up so it's race ready, the grasshopper has noticed that most of the fastest bikes took off extra things like kickstands to make the bike lighter so they will be faster and safer

kdebello

I took my 8 year old daughter to the course on Saturday, and she did a lot better than I thought. Some rocks, a little hill. Great for the kids.

There is a large tree that is down right before the road near the end. It looks like someone has started cutting it to get it out of the way. I told my daughter it's staying and she'd have to jump it for the race. She told me to try it first and we'll see how I make out. LOL

-Kevin

overbrook

that big tree is now out of way thanks to some cg locals who regularly ride there,

glad to hear about more training, it makes a big difference on this course

game on for race day august 17

overbrook

shameless bump to keep this event foremost in everyone's mind....even if you don't have kids, you know people with kids who would probably enjoy this .... who knows, you may help create a new full time mountainbiker......help get more kids on bikes

one week until the first start at 0900, k-1 boys followed by k-1 girls .....

Last edited:

kdebello

A big thank you to everyone who put this event on! My daughter had a blast and wants to do more races. She can't wait for next year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

smachski

Thanks again for running another smooth kids race. That was a huge amount of racers, I think 2nd-3rd boys had about 27? That's some devoted little shredders. The talent of some kids was remarkable... kids riding flats, bmx, training wheels etc. through the rock gardens.

Zaskar

Great turn out and the weather was perfect on Saturday! My son raced the 2nd/3rd class and really had a blast. So cool seeing the youngster out there having fun on the Kids Korse. Kudos to Geordie Smith, The Hilltop Conservancy and the rest of the volunteers!

kdebello

Do you know if there are any pictures of the race? i saw a few on teh Cycle Craft facebook page, but that was about it.

Here's one of my daughter after the race.

katie_hilltop_sm.jpg

Top Bottom