Keyless Adventure - Lost fob

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Someone lost their key fob in our family.
Looks like there is a DIY procedure for adding-a-new, or replacing-all.
No procedure for removing one and replacing it. (this prevents someone you loaned a key, from adding a fob)
The car can be paired to 8 fobs, but only if the primary two are present.

Dealer wants $450
Ebay wants $60
What is the chance I delete the existing key, then fail to pair the new ones?
Stay tuned!

Oh, and i'm going to order a new emergency key by sending a picture of the current one to "someone"
this doesn't sound like a great idea.

Last edited:

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Try this place: https://www.keylessshop.com/ (in Fairfield). My van came with just 1 key and they were able to cut my eBay blank key and program it. I think they can do it with just the VIN number. My van is also one of those vehicles that needs 2 keys to program. They carry a bunch of blanks for a bunch of car models. Maybe call them first.

Patrick

Staff member
Success! But it wasn't easy.

The working remote looks like the cat chewed on it, so figured replacing it with two new ones was the wtg.

putting the car in programming mode without two working keys means the working ones get erased,,
and up to 8 new ones can be programmed. Easy peasy, I purchase the two "aftermarket" fobs from ebay.

Review the instructions, watch a video, and away we go. Couple steps and it is ready to program the first fob.
In goes a new one, and the car responds that it is ready for the second. Hit the unlock button which completes the first,
then go on to the second - another new one. Same thing. In goes the third, and all is good. It calls for the 4th.
I hit the unlock on the fob to complete the programming, and unlike the other two, it unlocks the door.

uh oh. The two new fobs have no response from the car.

check the internet and there is one clue on the 100 pages read, and 10 videos watched.
Back to it, and the programming is acting differently now. That and the theft deterrent has triggered.
It is kinda responding to the third remote - it will start the car, and unlock the doors - but seemed
weird. I didn't see any messages, but put the original fob in the programming dock, and hit the button.
Nothing. went inside and watched Pittsburg.

Went back out and there was a message "ready for second fob" - put ia new one in and pressed the button.
"ready for the third fob" - hit the unlock button and BANG - the car unlocks - repeat for third.

They now all work as expected.

So I didn't get what I wanted, I got what I needed.

$$$ Saved. now to get the emergency keys cut.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
so.......

I just sent two blank keys to brooklyn with pictures of the current key and my home address.
$34 to cut two. It was $25 for one, so I guess once it is set up, it is good to go.

Insurance is in-place. When it gets stolen, it better be a total loss.

iman29

so.......

I just sent two blank keys to brooklyn with pictures of the current key and my home address.
$34 to cut two. It was $25 for one, so I guess once it is set up, it is good to go.

Insurance is in-place. When it gets stolen, it better be a total loss.
You should have just dropped a note that said

“Please don’t return vehicle for 31 days”

That’s the time limits for the stolen vehicle report. 🤪

Patrick

Staff member
And the adventure continues.

The new fobs work inside the car, and the button work outside the car, but they don't trigger the proximity system
for unlocking the car with the button on the handle.

Oh well. I guess i can be inconvenienced.

Patrick

Staff member
The key cutting guy used first class to return them. They are tracked, but who the hell knows when they'll get here.

Patrick

Staff member
And someone found the key fob they lost.

pronouns obfuscated to protect identity.

just to complete the story - the fob giving me trouble is coded as driver #3.
The aftermarket driver #2 fob works fine.
Using an original as driver #1
not sure what i'll do with the other original.....

johnbryanpeters

And someone found the key fob they lost.

pronouns obfuscated to protect identity.

just to complete the story - the fob giving me trouble is coded as driver #3.
The aftermarket driver #2 fob works fine.
Using an original as driver #1
not sure what i'll do with the other original.....
Pay a dealer to set the original keys up correctly and toss the stuff you just wasted your money and time on.

Top Bottom