Ken Lockwood Gorge

twoslo

Has anyone been on river road through Ken Lockwood Gorge recently? I like to drop down onto river road through Ken Lockwood gorge and take that out to Califon. My question is, did they fix the frickin' road through Ken Lockwood Gorge? I almost killed myself 3 weeks ago trying to ride through there. It was totally washed out with sections nothing but exposed 12"rocks. Thanks for the info.

Mildly Wild

Last I read (a few yrs ago) River Road is officially closed to through traffic. One reason was that they were having problems with (large) trucks using it and getting stuck (often). The rocks are there, I believe, are to discourage people from trying to use it as a thru road. It is open to motor vehicle traffic only to a certain point from each end to allow fishermen access. It is open for biking or hiking end to end but one has to be willing to traverse the purposely unmaintained stretches. If you're into the outstanding river-level scenery, its well worth it.:D

...did they fix the frickin' road through Ken Lockwood Gorge? I almost killed myself 3 weeks ago trying to ride through there. It was totally washed out with sections of nothing but exposed 12"rocks.

...The rocks are there, I believe, are to discourage people from trying to use it as a thru road

Nah, after Hurricane Irene River Road was washed out exposing whatever rock was under the macadam; mostly a mess of sharp-edged irregular babyheads.

I didn't want to say it, because it's hard because there's no real line, but with a proper mountain bike, some skill and a lot of grit and determination, it's possible to ride. Practice, practice, practice. Don't walk that - you'll twist your ankle!

twoslo

Thanks for the replies. There's one particularly nasty section where I had to carry my bike over just north of the columbia trail bridge.

twoslo

That site makes it sound like you aren't allowed to bike ride on river road. That would be totally incorrect, it's one of the intended purposes of wma's.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions