Keeping Warm

The Kalmyk

I work on my bikes in my garage and it is not heated or insulated. Is there anyone out there rowing the same boat and have suggestions on heaters? Radiant vs. air? Electric vs. gas? I want a heater you need to stay far away from:) so that I know it will warm my whole garage. I've done research on different heaters but people's experiences are much more valuable.

Thanks Spencer

Dimensions of my garage...11x35 and I guess 30 feet high

TonyC

I work on my bikes in my garage and it is not heated or insulated. Is there anyone out there rowing the same boat and have suggestions on heaters? Radiant vs. air? Electric vs. gas? I want a heater you need to stay far away from:) so that I know it will warm my whole garage. I've done research on different heaters but people's experiences are much more valuable.

Thanks Spencer

Dimensions of my garage...11x35 and I guess 30 feet high

pm sent

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
back in the day i used to go to the catskills in the winter. my campers (2 different ones) the internal propane heater never worked. one year i went to ames and bought a kerosene heater. my formen also had a place upstate, and insisted that the thing would keep me warm enough and i could be in my skivvies (underwear). it was acutally too warm for my campers, first i had a coacman tornado, now i have an avion (silver) like an airstream.

at work, we made safety panels out of used printing plates, to keep the wood in the camper from torching

if you get one, be very carefull, they have a similiar unit at home depot

btw: i should have given my k-1 heater to my dad, his boiler was out for 2 weeks, there a good back-up, i would give you mine, but its up in acra, ny, i'm here in jersey, one year i was up there on super bowl sunday, the whole campground was ice, but the k-1 heater keep me toasty warm

0c0e4d19-535a-45e6-9936-b9ba1461245a_300.jpg

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i use my girls garage. its about the same size. she has the electric heater that you pulg in. its like 4 feet wide and sit on the floor. it looks like a baseboard heater you see in houses. works good enough that you can be comfy in a hoody.

p.s. i like how you thanked yourself in your post, lol.

mwlikesbikes

I dragged all my stuff to the basement to work on my bikes this week. The only drag was when I had to vacum all the dirt off the floor when I'm done. Too friggin cold to work in the garage!!!
Although I do have a kerosene torpedo heater, last time I used it was 2 years ago when I had to rebuild my snowthrower after it broke down in the middle of clearing snow!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i am in the same boat, i use alittle electric heater and it doesn't do squat. 30' ceilings?

Last edited:

sixseven

Spencer, with a 30' ceiling and no insulation you will need a jet engine in there. One option is build a hack room out of that rigid urethane foam board with the reflective stuff and put a cheap electric oil filled radiator in there. The room would only need to be like 12' x 12' with an 8' ceiling. That stuff is light and easy to build temporary stuff with.

I have built several of these over the years and they work well for situations like yours. I finished my garage with double wall insulation (walls and ceiling, I think the r value was about 30)1/2" rock and insulated the roll up door with rigid foam, sealed all the cracks and use an electric radiator in there. I turn it on in the am if I plan on working in there at night and its fine. i work on the bikes in the basement where it is toasty all winter long though.:)

The kero jet heaters usually end up making you feel light headed if the space is not drafty.
The regular kero heaters are awesome if the space is sealed and insulated and if you fire it up outdoors and let it warm up before bringing it inside there is no smell at all.
Your garage must be a pretty cool looking space, 30' is tall.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
spence go old fashion and put a wood or even pellet stove find a lazyboy and you got the prefect lounge, crack a coldy and turn up the tunes and your set...

THATmanMANNY

Last two nights I've been in the garage breaking down my bike. It was cold but I was able to withstand. I'm just glad everything is so clean now that I can bring it inside and put finishing touches on it.

lmckee

30' ceilings?

Thats the same thing I was thinking. You could pull an 18 wheeler in there with another one parked on top. It would be incredibly hard to heat an area with a 30' ceiling with anything consumer grade.

djm

If I had ceilings that high I'd probably put a loft in there somewhere. Like others have said you can't heat that large an area without spending major bucks. Build a smaller room in that space. If you don't want to make the space permanent just temporarily frame it out for the winter and wrap it with 3MM thick clear drop cloth.

Kerosene heaters do work well but smell (only for a couple minutes) and are a pain to keep filling up $$. I have one in my 24 x 30 garage and its super toasty but the ceilings are only 9ft. Good luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom