kayaking, time to upgrade again?

alex_k

Nice lookin'craft! Now go paddle the shi# outta it! Remember proper self rescue gear as the water gets colder and you venture farther from shore. Good luck!
thanks, as soon as rain stops here I'm on my way to Round Valley

alex_k

I quite surprised that I cannot find a single scratch on the hull, the boat is definitely used I can see that inside but the hull is perfect. Are those Epics so though?

giff06

The performance layup is pretty tough, built to last! That being said keep it out of the sun and don't drag it across the driveway!;)

giff06

There are a lot of tech videos on the Epic site and the Tube. Forward Stroke is something easy to pick up but like a golf swing takes a lifetime to learn. I once said to Greg Barton that after 35 years of paddling you would think I would get the stroke correct. As an ex olympian gold medalist he told me he still works on his every session. Best of luck with the boat.
Ed

alex_k

The kayak is fast but requires better balancing skills than I have now so my average speed improved from 4.9 to 5.4 mph but I was on guard most of the time. I definitely need more time paddling flat water before I'll be able to handle Sandy Hook. I love the cockpit - the central foot brace is must for me that's why I was looking only at Epic 18x and Stellar S18R.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1749708820

giff06

Its always good to train with purpose. Its also good to take a day and just enjoy the fruits of your labors.

ebarker9

This probably warrants its own thread, but this seems to be the most recent kayak discussion so I'm just going to piggyback on here unless someone objects...

I'm just back from a trip where we spent a couple of days paddling around in either the gigantic battleship style inflatable kayaks or giant battleship style sit on top kayaks and, while I didn't find the equipment terribly inspiring, I did enjoy doing some paddling. Naturally this got me researching all of the cool new things I could potentially buy. I've been out in kayaks maybe 10 times and spent a lot of time growing up in canoes but I'm otherwise a complete amateur. I'm looking for something that's probably towards the quicker/longer end of the "entry level" spectrum because if I'm going to go out paddling I want to feel like I'm actually getting somewhere.

I'm in Randolph within walking distance to the Black River so I'd be interested in checking that out when the conditions are suitable, but would also be looking to go to Cranberry Lake, etc that are within an hour or so, and would (maybe) try to do a 1 or 2 day trip with camping gear on occasion at a location farther away. Budget is flexible but probably thinking around the $1k mark unless there's reason to spend more. Thoughts?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
in Randolph within walking distance to the Black River so I'd be interested in checking that out when the conditions are suitable, but would also be looking to go to Cranberry Lake, etc that are within an hour or so, and would (maybe) try to do a 1 or 2 day trip with camping gear on occasion at a location farther away. Budget is flexible but probably thinking around the $1k mark unless there's reason to spend more. Thoughts?
I'd recommend a plastic kayak in the 14' range with hatches big enough to stow gear for camping. Look on Craigslist and such, this is a good time of year to buy, not many buyers and people want to clear stuff out. Post up what you find, we'll advise from there. Good luck.

alex_k

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's this option locally but probably a bit more than I'd want to spend:
Yeah, that looks perfect for what you are looking for, those hatches are better then older kayak hatches, they are easier to use and yet water tight.
Keep looking for used, otherwise pay more and get what you want now;)

ebarker9

Yeah, that looks perfect for what you are looking for, those hatches are better then older kayak hatches, they are easier to use and yet water tight.
Keep looking for used, otherwise pay more and get what you want now;)

Ha, yeah I am generally pretty good at paying more immediate gratification. Do people generally paddle through Oct/Nov? I'd imagine the water and air temp would kind of raise the stakes a bit but it's certainly nice scenery.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do people generally paddle through Oct/Nov? I'd imagine the water and air temp would kind of raise the stakes a bit but it's certainly nice scenery.
Yes, people even paddle in the winter months. You can get away with wearing a wetsuit in Oct and Nov but once water temps get in the mid 50s and lower you need a dry suit.
NRS is the go to for a lot of kayaking gear, they sell good stuff.
https://www.nrs.com/

Top Bottom