Just when I thought I was going to start saving some money...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Which crank slx or xt I'm considering the xt since you can rock a wider range of rings
I got the XT, the interface for the rings is the same, however I noticed that they don’t have 28t for the slx

But seeing the interface, doesn’t make sense that a 28 wouldn’t work on the slx

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Finally Hope. Now we need Stan’s

7ACBF598-9892-4A2F-BB28-C66107E79C69.jpeg

JDurk

Used to be a huge hope hub fan... until the day my front hub ripped apart on my road bike going 40+mph down Ludlow Station rd.
Kinda lost that loving feeling after that. But they are nice to look at.
Not looking to hijack this thread, but would really like to hear more about this.

Reactions: rlb

serviceguy

Meh, when I started this thread i was on a set of Hope hubs, feeling sorry that I wouldn’t be able to spend some more money updating my bike to a 12 speed Shimano group. Now that I can, my rear hub is in pieces in the garage waiting for the weekend when I’ll install new bearings after the original ones died on me after just a few hundred miles (focus on few) right before JORBAFest. Nothing major, but the drive side hub bearing(not the ones in the freehub) got a major sticky point, more like a segment actually. In the meantime, I am running a set of 350 with the 54t ratchet and love them. Irony is, since I could not upgrade the freehub to a micro drive, I purchased the oneup set to update with a 50t and the Hope minidrive freehub to run the 10t cog...which would require me to go back to the Hope wheelset...oh, decisions, decisions!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Meh, when I started this thread i was on a set of Hope hubs, feeling sorry that I wouldn’t be able to spend some more money updating my bike to a 12 speed Shimano group. Now that I can, my rear hub is in pieces in the garage waiting for the weekend when I’ll install new bearings after the original ones died on me after just a few hundred miles (focus on few) right before JORBAFest. Nothing major, but the drive side hub bearing(not the ones in the freehub) got a major sticky point, more like a segment actually. In the meantime, I am running a set of 350 with the 54t ratchet and love them. Irony is, since I could not upgrade the freehub to a micro drive, I purchased the oneup set to update with a 50t and the Hope minidrive freehub to run the 10t cog...which would require me to go back to the Hope wheelset...oh, decisions, decisions!
That major sticky point is Hope's Achilles Heel, however isnt much different that the sticky point that Mavic freehubs develop. Remember, the rule of thumb is the more expensive the hub, more maintenance is required.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Remember, the rule of thumb is the more expensive the hub, more maintenance is required.
Disagree
Buying the right expensive hub requires little to no maintenance.
'08 CK zero maintenance
'11 Hadley zero maintenance
'14 CK zero maintenance
'16 I9 zero maintenance

2 hope hubs cracked rear shells
1 hubstore hub rebuilt twice

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Disagree
Buying the right expensive hub requires little to no maintenance.
'08 CK zero maintenance
'11 Hadley zero maintenance
'14 CK zero maintenance
'16 I9 zero maintenance

2 hope hubs cracked rear shells
1 hubstore hub rebuilt twice
Let's be honest here Matty, how man hours are you dropping since 14?

FTR, I think Hope's are junk...

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Yeah, i believe ChrisG was on that ride also. Came to a stop at the train tracks.
Yep. Happily, not much of a story. It could have been a really bad story.

Another Ludlow Station story was when I launched off of those tracks at 25-30mph, in my drops, and both of my bottles auto-ejected while I was in the air. It's still one of my funnest memories of the rides we used to do in those hills.

As for Hope hubs, Mrs. G is riding on a Hope rear hub that I put into service in 2003, and would still be using the matching front hub if I'd been able to convert it to 15mm.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Let's be honest here Matty, how man hours are you dropping since 14?

FTR, I think Hope's are junk...
That '08 CK probably has close to 10k and it's a SS.
Not close to your hours but I never completely stopped riding as you might think. I gave up strava a few back but I do zero maintenance unless i have to.

merritt

Yep. Happily, not much of a story. It could have been a really bad story.

Another Ludlow Station story was when I launched off of those tracks at 25-30mph, in my drops, and both of my bottles auto-ejected while I was in the air. It's still one of my funnest memories of the rides we used to do in those hills.

As for Hope hubs, Mrs. G is riding on a Hope rear hub that I put into service in 2003, and would still be using the matching front hub if I'd been able to convert it to 15mm.
Yeah i was behind you , iit looked like you hit a button to launch the bottles.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
That '08 CK probably has close to 10k and it's a SS.
Not close to your hours but I never completely stopped riding as you might think. I gave up strava a few back but I do zero maintenance unless i have to.
10,000 hours is impressive, no doubt.

Top Bottom