just move to NJ... help laws about biking on the road

iceman600

hello MTBkers :D Im also a newbie when it comes to biking. I just move here at NJ Mantua area and im just wondering about biking on the streets? Im not really familiar biking on the street. is there a law that a bikers have to abide? i noticed also some roads have wide sidewalks (i dont know if that is a sidewalk or in case of emergency pull over:confused:) can i stay on that lane? and do i have to follow the flow of the traffic? meaning always on the right side of the road? even if my destination is on the other side of the road.
and do adults have to wear helmet also? im sorry bout asking to many ???
thanks

ChrisRU

Hello, welcome to the board!

The basics: Always wear your helmet. In general cyclists follow the same rules of the road as any vehicle. Obey traffic laws, ride with the flow of traffic. Don't ride on the sidewalk.

TeamMuddySprocket

Hello, welcome to the board!

The basics: Always wear your helmet. In general cyclists follow the same rules of the road as any vehicle. Obey traffic laws, ride with the flow of traffic. Don't ride on the sidewalk.

^agree^

as a cyclist you need to follow traffic laws, sadly most motorists don't remember that a cyclist has the same rights on the road as a car

iceman600

^agree^

as a cyclist you need to follow traffic laws, sadly most motorists don't remember that a cyclist has the same rights on the road as a car

i agree... i just saw onetime this lady honking this biker and and the biker stoped and the lady just overtake him and give him a finger :mad:

and thanks Arwen's Mom... thats very helpful

Last edited:

tednugent

it is similar to other states.... but.....

http://www.nj.gov/lps/hts/bike.html

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/bike/regulations.shtm

so, even though it's not legally required (for adults)... wear a helmet whether you're on the road or on the trails.

Bike_Safety_Ani_Header.gif

I'm guilty of not having a bell on my road bike... gotta find one that fits...

BABOYTOY

No helmet flat pedals and no carbon. Oh wait, I live in PA where freedom is still alive:getsome:

Top Bottom