Jungle Habitat

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Riders,

Please check out the post on JORBA.org with respect to Jungle Habitat. The park is a little rough at this time (not too mention under a foot of snow) ;) but we hope to get it shaped this year for riding of all abilities.

http://www.jorba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=144

(There's a little more information since my first post...)

Cheers,
mergs

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
mergs said:
Riders,

Please check out the post on JORBA.org with respect to Jungle Habitat. The park is a little rough at this time (not too mention under a foot of snow) ;) but we hope to get it shaped this year for riding of all abilities.

http://www.jorba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=144

(There's a little more information since my first post...)

Cheers,
mergs

That's awesome!! I will be there this season for sure!

Shaggz

A strong 7
uhh, did you read the post on jorba?

"As of today, mountain biking, hiking, hunting, equestrian XC skiing, snowshoeing etc are all legal uses (anything non-motorized)."

it's not about being dumb hippies, it's a matter of the municipalitiy's planned use for the trail network/land

edit - poor grammar

Last edited:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
goodvibe said:
I went to the Norvin Green State Forest web site and it mentions hiking but not mountain biking. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/norvin.html
It looks cool and I would like to ride there, but I would want to make sure that it is legal. Please advise.

Understand... its totally confusing... Jungle Habitat is in a odd state of management: is part of Norvin Green SP (hiking only) but its administered by Ringwood SP (bike on!). Thus you'd think its hiking only but it is not... its multi-use and biking is permitted. I've spoken to the superintendent and the head ranger of Ringwood in person and they both told me face to face that biking is permitted. If you run into a problem, quote me ;) but seriously I've run into rangers there and they have no problem with bikes.

I mapped the park on Saturday and Sunday. Here is my recap: http://www.jorba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=279&sid=867d303e0953720c469c4323ae93a476#279

Sadly, its mostly paved (you won't find techncal singletrack there) but would be a great place to explore and if you want to see the old relics of the place or you want to tool around on a hybrid bike or you want a nice quiet place to bring the kids on thier little BMX bikes.

Note the area is still in rough shape and needs TLC (some deadfall, etc). Also kids *should be supervised* because the relics strewn about should not be handled and might be dnagerous. There is some cool stuff back there, but its not a challenging place to ride. I would consider it heaven for hybrid bikes at the current time.

I do plan on exploring more as time permits and I'll report on any single track I find.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
... its totally confusing... Jungle Habitat is in a odd state of management: is part of Norvin Green SP (hiking only) ...

So is Norvin Green not for MTB? A friend of mine showed me that place about 4 yrs ago. I remember some good trails, I don't recall seeing any signs that banned MTB's. The place is huge and I didn't get familiar with the place in 2 rides. I never went back since I didn't want to get lost and my buddy stopped riding. But I always wanted too.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
So is Norvin Green not for MTB? A friend of mine showed me that place about 4 yrs ago. I remember some good trails, I don't recall seeing any signs that banned MTB's. The place is huge and I didn't get familiar with the place in 2 rides. I never went back since I didn't want to get lost and my buddy stopped riding. But I always wanted too.

sorry man... Norvin Green = No Bikes

the trail conference has been totally supportive of Jungle Habitat so my stance is that we should be supportive of the foot traffic only designation at NG. riding there only will cause conflicts and access issues elsewhere.

besides, there's plenty of terrain up here without needing to ride NG.

Glancing Aft

I used to do TM work up in Norvin Green and a number years back was involved with a GPS mapping project there. I've hiked all the trails in there and I would say 75% of them wouldn't even be worth it on a bike if it were legal. You'd be looking at a whole lot of hike to bike. So don't even waste your time.

Great hiking up there though, and if you know where to look some of the best rock climbing in the state! :D

xc62701

Great hiking up there though, and if you know where to look some of the best rock climbing in the state! :D

Yes and I believe even that is off limits too. I've heard you'll get your gear taken if you climb there. Maybe you know something I don't?

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
if your talking about the "pine paddies" then no doubt (besides de water gap), its a great place to climb within NJ. i actually did my first lead there.

however, if i have my facts straight, i believe that its privately owned by the operators of the quarry on west brook road, and technically its outside of norvin green.

i still have my gear, but ymmv.

Glancing Aft

if your talking about the "pine paddies" then no doubt (besides de water gap), its a great place to climb within NJ. i actually did my first lead there.

however, if i have my facts straight, i believe that its privately owned by the operators of the quarry on west brook road, and technically its outside of norvin green.

i still have my gear, but ymmv.

Yes, I'm talking about the "pine paddies" not that I've ever actually been there or climbed there ;) There's some hope for that lands future, but none of which I will post on here.

t.wach

Does anyone have a good map of a loop i could there? I have never been there and dont really know where to go.

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
When were you planning to go?
I am always there and would be more than happy to show you around.
I will be wheels on ditr there saturday morning at 9:30 if you would like to join. I dirve a beat up white Jeep Cherokee.
As of now the state has no maps printed up for the trail system.

PM me if you want to meet up..

idbrian

Crotch Rot
So went for a later ride there today with my grilfriend and took the map that is up on Jorba, i don't think i've ever gotten so lost while riding. Everything near the dumptruck hill was great. Some really great tight features around there. Then we headed over to find the trails on the far other end of that map. Somehow we ended finding a blue blazed trail and judging from the map i assumed from the blue circle that is on the map that the blue blaze trail was what we were looking for. So followed that for a good while and it was great riding, even though it was odd because it seemed we were like the second people to ever ride the section. Then we are hike a biking up some cliffs and starting to get worried as it is getting dark. I have no idea what blue blaze trail we were following but it had no signs of previous riding and there were clearly unbikable sections. We ended up bailing out after miles on that trail and had to road ride back in the dark about 10 miles.

Anyone know what that blue blaze trail was? When it went over the powerlines section i was totally confused because the map only shows one set of powerlines going through the park and i thought i was on the other side of the park from that. Yeah i was quite lost.

We ended up on Westbrook Rd. I just looked on Google maps and that was quite far away.

Last edited:

Tool

Sounds like you left the Jungle Habitat property and might have been on the Hewitt-Butler Trail.

BTW, I believe it's designated "hiking only". :)

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I don't recommend biking the Hewitt Butler Trail.

There were a lot of MTB treads left on the blue trail and then suddenly none.

F

Fourtyfell

If you ever go again, PM me. I know it like the back of my hand.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions