Jungle Habitat, West Milford

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
The old jungle habitat land, which state owned land (but reportedly being leased/used by West Milford) may be open for mtb. I don't have complete confirmation on this yet, so caveat emptor, but someone I know of influence in town approached me about building (legal and sanctioned) trails there for non-motorized use. I believe there are some basic trails there now, but I've not been back there in a few years. FWIW, Extreme Habitat (the proposed motocross, atv park) is totally dead. The town wants to find a use for it and mtb appears to fit their bill.

So... wondering if anyone knows the area... if the trails are decent and the terrain is suitable for some nice mtb purpose built trails??? any experience any feedback welcome!

Basically I am investigating how worthwhile an effort like this would be... I'd sure like to build flowy VT style mtb trails with some drops, ladders, jumps. Not another diablo DH thing, but something you'd ride trail rigs on. And no lift passes.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
mergs said:
The old jungle habitat land, which state owned land (but reportedly being leased/used by West Milford) may be open for mtb. I don't have complete confirmation on this yet, so caveat emptor, but someone I know of influence in town approached me about building (legal and sanctioned) trails there for non-motorized use. I believe there are some basic trails there now, but I've not been back there in a few years. FWIW, Extreme Habitat (the proposed motocross, atv park) is totally dead. The town wants to find a use for it and mtb appears to fit their bill.

So... wondering if anyone knows the area... if the trails are decent and the terrain is suitable for some nice mtb purpose built trails??? any experience any feedback welcome!

Basically I am investigating how worthwhile an effort like this would be... I'd sure like to build flowy VT style mtb trails with some drops, ladders, jumps. Not another diablo DH thing, but something you'd ride trail rigs on. And no lift passes.

OMG, that would be awesome. I've only been there once when I was much younger but it would be a great place to ride.

-jay

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
if anything comes of it i'll certainly throw something up here...

almost a foot of snow there now... so might grab the snowshoes and poke around on sat, check out the layout, etc.

Shaggz

A strong 7
would this be a pay-to-play park, or would it have open access?

coming from the mouth of an arm chair quarterback: considering the spirit of mtb advocay in nj right now (as seen in other forums), this might be a great issue for jorba to stand behind.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Jason said:

thanks jason... the last 3 i've seen before... great vintage photos. :)

but the first site is news to me... reading it now...

wow, those guys have put a ton of effort in... i got to go check the place out. i *think* stress think they've gotten the final denial tho. the motorized aspect of their effort is most likely what killed it, the town was not keen on motors (even silenced ones) and the NYNJ trail conference was highly motivated and connected. i believe opponents like that are tough to beat.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
smarencik said:
would this be a pay-to-play park, or would it have open access?

coming from the mouth of an arm chair quarterback: considering the spirit of mtb advocay in nj right now (as seen in other forums), this might be a great issue for jorba to stand behind.

if i had my way, it would be open access. the guy that approached me indicated mtb trails, and wanted someone to try to get them cleaned up, maintained etc. there was no dicussion of an admission... i just think the town wants more tourism. they think you'll buy an extra donut and coffee on the way in and out, i guess ;)

i'm following up with him soon. too soon to predict anything at all, but i'll keep ya'll posted...

NJ Jess

Great idea

Hey Mergs! I hope this thing blooms. More trails equals more fun. Let me know if I could help. Jess

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions