Jungle Habitat Race course ride Fri 9/7

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
The first two trails are easy to find. First, go through the main gate. About a 100 feet in there is a little road on your left and painted on the pavement is EMS exit. Turn left on that road and hang an immediate right into the woods. This is the trail we call the animal chute. Follow that trail right to the top. When you exit, you will be on a paved road. Hang a right and follow into the big parking lot. It's a huge parking lot. Now stay to the right and hug the perimeter of the parking lot. DON'T GO DOWN THE HILL!!! The entrance to Warthog will be on the right and just follows the perimiter of the parking lot. You won't find the rest of the course very easily if you don't know the park, so I'm not even going to try to explain where it is.

you misspelled chute. its shute ;)

on this preliminary map below, you can see the "animal shute" and warthog both indicated in blue. shute parallels the main access road in and hog goes around the parking lot (indicated in green).

note: ignore the white and blue trails in the northeast. these are proposed and not yet cut. now that I post I'm sure some kh will bushwhack thinking theres a trail back there :)

enjoy.

Last edited:

Not So Fast

on this preliminary map below, you can see the "animal shute" enjoy.

Or should it be "shoot", as in I think I shoot on myself again.:D

That map looks like a bad finger print.

Last edited:

bozizle

uuuuuggggg

I live 5 mins from the trail and the wonderful world of corperate America may once again screw me over...deff. trying to make it by 6

SpartaBard

Uggg, I think I'm going to have to bail on tonight, time wise it just wont be working out for me (tonights my roomates birthday party). Have a good time all.

And if somebody could GPS it, it'd be great, I'd like to try to ride it tomorrow afternoon!

I will have my gps with me.

SpartaBard

on this preliminary map below, you can see the "animal shute" and warthog both indicated in blue. shute parallels the main access road in and hog goes around the parking lot (indicated in green).

note: ignore the white and blue trails in the northeast. these are proposed and not yet cut. now that I post I'm sure some kh will bushwhack thinking theres a trail back there :)

enjoy.

Mergs, what program are you using to make your maps?

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Mergs, what program are you using to make your maps?

National Geographic Topo

I hate it.

But its all I have at the mo'

My complaint is mainly that its "too heavy" on the contours, esp. when you print or export to image. The best way is a bloody screenshot (which is what I did above). Its even worse when you print to file.

On the upside there are a lot of maps available online for it and people exchange their .tpo files easily.

I need to go to "GIS school". If anyone has a slick(er) program let me know.

p.s. bad fingerprint is about right.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Or should it be "shoot", as in I think I shoot on myself again.:D

That map looks like a bad finger print.

agreed, its crap.

shopping for a better program. one day...

the original park survey is full of misspellings, its kind of hilarious really... and right near where we built that trail, "animal shute" is indicated on the survey, thus the name. kinda dumb i know... but that's the kinda crap you let me get involved. ;)

warthog is named after the dude who did most or all of the layout and a good chunk of the build, dave vanwart. plus warthog seems to fit the hab's jungle safari theme. his son thinks its cool that its named after his old man

not sure what the park will say about the names but they're kind of sticking with us locals.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
really fun trails here. "good job" to all the people who have had a hand in designing and building the new trails. thanks pete for leading the ride, dave and brad for coming along, and steve for getting there, eventually, and that nice aussie that rode with us for the first few miles then ditched us for another group. gotta do something about the stink helmet i guess. :eek: we didn't do the actual race loop, but i think we did most of the trails that will be on it. there is some super tight, twisty, occasionally rocky, yet flowy singletrack, some bomber rocky fire road/quad trail, and some fast, turny paved bike path like sections, that can get rather steep. had a blast. can't wait for the race! everyone but me and dave went back out for some after dark fun in the woods.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=3881360#

anrothar

entirely thrilled
oh, and i think 32x19 might be the compromise gear on a 29er ss for this race. maybe a 32x18, but that singletrack is tight, and a little loamy in some spots. the extra acceleration will definitely help.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
Fun ride guys. And again, sorry about the wrong turn. The GPS plot now makes tons of sense. Looks like we just missed it by thirty or forty feet. We will defs do it again before the race, maybe even Sunday afternoon. I guess I was the only one that went down. Not bad.

ArmyOfNone

Nice to have some more insight to what we are facing for the big race. I cant wait to get up there. I think this may be one of the greatest anticipated races of the year. Collectively atleast.

Sean! You told me i was the only one that you have after dark fun with in the woods! How dare you!:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
really fun trails here. "good job" to all the people who have had a hand in designing and building the new trails. thanks pete for leading the ride, dave and brad for coming along, and steve for getting there, eventually, and that nice aussie that rode with us for the first few miles then ditched us for another group. gotta do something about the stink helmet i guess. :eek: we didn't do the actual race loop, but i think we did most of the trails that will be on it. there is some super tight, twisty, occasionally rocky, yet flowy singletrack, some bomber rocky fire road/quad trail, and some fast, turny paved bike path like sections, that can get rather steep. had a blast. can't wait for the race! everyone but me and dave went back out for some after dark fun in the woods.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=3881360#
*shakes head....

stop trying to project your infidelities onto me fred.

SpartaBard

National Geographic Topo

I hate it.

But its all I have at the mo'

My complaint is mainly that its "too heavy" on the contours, esp. when you print or export to image. The best way is a bloody screenshot (which is what I did above). Its even worse when you print to file.

On the upside there are a lot of maps available online for it and people exchange their .tpo files easily.

I need to go to "GIS school". If anyone has a slick(er) program let me know.

p.s. bad fingerprint is about right.

You may want to check out Topo USA by Delorme. That is what I have been using and am very happy with it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
At some point maybe you guys with the GPS saavy could post up various different little things you can do with the GPS. Free software is always handy.

Brad, can you not upload your stuff to the MB website? Or is that just Garmin stuff?

SpartaBard

At some point maybe you guys with the GPS saavy could post up various different little things you can do with the GPS. Free software is always handy.

Brad, can you not upload your stuff to the MB website? Or is that just Garmin stuff?

I believe it is just garmin, don't they own it or something? I have not really tried though.

I am mainly using the data to make pretty maps :eek: .

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I like pretty maps!

Well here's something that I've wanted to do. Suppose I have 2 courses of, say MD. But I want to make them into 1 big loop and cut out some riff-raff or something, then uplaod it to my unit. Any ideas how to do that?

SpartaBard

I like pretty maps!

Well here's something that I've wanted to do. Suppose I have 2 courses of, say MD. But I want to make them into 1 big loop and cut out some riff-raff or something, then uplaod it to my unit. Any ideas how to do that?

I can easily do that in Delorme's TopoUSA and then upload it to my Delorme PN-20 GPSr... :D

No clue for your Garmin though:rolleyes:

Shaggz

A strong 7
thanks for the tour! what a real fun place, and i am looking forward to see what else you all have planned for the park.

Panhead

It was great meeting you guys. Thanks for the tour of JH - nice tight single track. I will be heading back alot before the 23rd to climb. And there was NO after dark fun for me.

Top Bottom