July 4 Bergen Tour

Not So Fast

This ride is coordinated by BTCNJ. This is a really kool event. Folks line the parade routes and cheer as we ride through their parades. I did this last year for the first time what a blast. TIP: If you decide to do this ride carefully as there many unskilled riders.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 at 8:00 am sharp
Glen Rock Duck Pond

"You must be at this Premier Ride of the season or regret will likely take over your life. If you haven't had the experience of riding in a rolling parade of bikes (150 riders in 2011), then put it on your near-term list of things to do. Most riders have joined in this event for many years. The mandatory dress code requires that you wear all the colors in the ride's title. Optional: decorate your bike to add to the ambiance of the day.

Timing is important as we roll through towns just before or after their scheduled parades. Watch the wide-eyed faces of the "lawn chair potatoes" and soak up their applause as we pass. Listen to them scream in appreciation as we highlight their day. Meet at 8:00 a.m. to sign in, with photo shoot at 8:10 and departure at 8:15 sharp. Strong C* riders are encouraged to attend on this flat to rolling route. Cue sheets included. There will also be rides for various categories after the Parade Loop."
Edit from the BTCNJ website.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
No, they cheered in Ridgewood, but we were diverted in one place towards the end.

It was fun in the towns where the police held traffic and let us through with a smile and not so much in towns where one cop called us "idiots" as we passed. Honestly, it wasn't cool where we had to cut through a moving parade to get to the front and it felt disrespectful to do so.

In general, I'm not a huge fan of club rides. Disorganized packs of sketchy riders beg for disaster and these rides tend to be a stressfest.

On the bright side "The Hat" had a successful day with no oxygen administered. ;)

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
At some point, I decided the safest place was front row or I might end up in an oxygen mask again. Let's say it was an "interesting" experience :popcorn:

parade.20120704.001.jpg

parade.20120704.002.jpg

Last edited:

Not So Fast

Cops are people too

It was fun in the towns where the police held traffic and let us through with a smile and not so much in towns where one cop called us "idiots" as we passed. ;)

Some cops are idiots too. Just like the general public.

The rain scare me off. When I finally decided to go I tried to pick up the group in Oradell. I saw the start of the parade and waited about 15 minutes. I didn't connect. Went to Ridgewood saw the start and waited 45 minutes then went to the Pond. I again missed the group. So I pretty much missed it all.

Top Bottom