July 3rd Firecracker Night Ride

MTB Aussie

A tradition that started several years back with a friend who is now living out west. I am opening this up to my new friends on MTBNJ. (of course my old friends are still welcome since they know the route better than me)

July 3rd each year we would ride to the top of High Mt in N. Haledon. From up there you can see a bunch of fireworks in surrounding towns. It's a great climb to the top and a rocky descent. We only hang around the top for 15 mins then head back down. We don't have to ride as a pack but anyone who doesn't know the trails should follow someone who does. We usually aim to start at 8pm while it's still light and ride a loop on the lower mountain before hitting the steep climb. Departs from the top parking lot by the rec center at William Patterson.

No lime green jerseys permitted :D

MTB Aussie

I think krazor or somebody was having light issues so we had to stop a few times. Also we probably spent a half hour up top, plus bsing in the parking lot afterwards.
Every time I ride with him he has light issues, Allamuchy included.

Note to anyone who didn't ride High Mt before and is thinking of coming - make sure your light is well secured since this ride is very bumpy.

MTB Aussie

Coming up..

Wow, didn't get many takers on this one. Anyway, MixMastaMM and I checked out the route last night and found it... just the way I remember it. A mix of lung busting climbs with loose rocks skittling down behind you, to fairly smooth cruisers around the bottom of the mountain.

All Welcome!

Glancing Aft

Anyone who may be going have a light I could borrow? I accidentally brought my light to Pennsylvania while I was moving...

Engignar

Will - I can try to throw something together for you. It may be ghetto but it is better than the moon. Let me look through my bag of tricks at home and see what I can do. I'll let you know.

Glancing Aft

Will - I can try to throw something together for you. It may be ghetto but it is better than the moon. Let me look through my bag of tricks at home and see what I can do. I'll let you know.

That'd be great! The more ghetto the better I always say, or something like that :hmmm:

J-Dro

Ghetto lights are the best.
icon14.gif

I wish I could join you guys but I'm still in rehab mode. Have fun.

Engignar

So does Mr. Aft need me to piece a light together for him, or does someone else have an extra ready to go and I shouldn't bother? Can someone put a waypoint on a google map so I know where to be in the parking lot...besides by the only other people there at night with roof racks?

MTB Aussie

It looks like I'll be good in the light department, thank you though!
This is where we normally park http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=106075455181547650428.000436420b35a5cf1b665&ll=40.952872,-74.196467&spn=0.00218,0.004013&z=18
However, I'm not sure if we're meeting at Mike's place instead? And what time is this thing going down?
I think we are meeting at Mike's place. PM MixMastaMM for the address. Looking for wheels down at 8:30. Unfortunately I have to go to a memorial service at 5pm in Scotch Plains and I don't know how quickly I can get up to North Haledon so we may adjust slightly.

Top Bottom