Jshort’s bike thread

I was confused on the base layer thing. Looking at the site now, doesn't seem to be what I was looking at last night. They seem like regular bib straps.

Did you go with the "Core Cargo Bib Shorts" or "Cargo Bib Shorts"? Core seems like almost half the price.

I pretty much went full bib shorts for racing, but it's nice to have the easy to access pockets and I'm not a huge fan of the rear pockets on jerseys. The rear pockets do open up options though.

One thing I do like about Rapha is they have a store where you can actually check sizing.

I bought the core. I’ve think it was ~150? I’ve used them a ton on the trainer and they’re holding up perfectly.

I feel like I need you in my ear during my race. :)
Like I said, the main goal is to get a workout. But the more I do the more I’m going try to finish near the pointy end.
One of the attractions/scary things about road racing, especially in close quarters, is the sensory overload. Stuff is happening all around you, people are moving in constantly shifting trajectories. Having even a few reliable cues to provide focus can really help, especially when everything is new.

One of the attractions/scary things about road racing, especially in close quarters, is the sensory overload. Stuff is happening all around you, people are moving in constantly shifting trajectories. Having even a few reliable cues to provide focus can really help, especially when everything is new.
I was bit hard by this, I kind of forgot how it felt... I told myself I wasn't getting a USAC license but I might just have to this year now that we are talking about it

Crits are like hard drugs: Addictive, fun...until something bad happens. Man, I miss road racing. At BB races, you're winning if you are getting a good workout.

Can U race Masters? Tends to be stonger field but less sketch.

@ChrisG is spot on. The snake that bites everybody at Branchbrook is the S-bends. First guy goes through in the fastest line, which happens to be a straight line. The swarm behind and pinched by the belgian block curbs. People crash.

The snake that bites everybody at Branchbrook is the S-bends. First guy goes through in the fastest line, which happens to be a straight line. The swarm behind and pinched by the belgian block curbs.

That’s where the first crash was. The one I was in front of and didn’t hear.

One of the attractions/scary things about road racing, especially in close quarters, is the sensory overload.

Adding more sketch was everyone wearing head warmers. Some guys had so much shit on their head, I know their hearing was impacted

If I do it I would do the 2 4/5 races. I could do the 35+ bi that food was huge. I don’t know if I’d like to be in a smaller sketchier group or more experienced huge group. Shit can go sideways in either.

Since I have some free time on my hands, here I am. Right now, both of my 2 kids are out of school just like everyone else’s. The teachers gave them about 2 weeks of packets to do, but they’re both pretty bright kids and will burn through them in a day if we let them. So we’re spreading them out and letting them just play and have fun with each other. Our only real rule is 90 ish minutes of playing outside when it’s not raining and no electronics between 9 and 3. Long story short is that we’re doing fine with the social distancing thing. I’m really not here to talk depressing end of world shit. I am pretty confident we will all return to normal in due time, and its just a matter of staying sane, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and keeping up with work.

Also being grateful that black river roasters is offering 20% off and free shipping! I’m trying to support local business as mush as possible because I want them to still be here when this is over.
AC63CC11-AB5B-4EC1-8298-81237743C979.jpeg

Anyway -
Most of the early season races have been cancelled, which forced me to re-structure my training program. With the schedule totally up in the air right now, and me not wanting to overdo it with hard effort intervals, I’m going back to sweet spot base.

When last season’s racing went off the rails, I did a 6 week block of high volume sweet spot. It really felt great and got me back on track fitness wise. The only problem was that it was in the middle of winter and i timed it all wrong. Looking back I should have just taken another week or 2 off after that block, did an FTP test and then restarted the sweet spot phase. Instead i veered off the plan and regressed. A couple FTP tests actually showed I had lost 20 watts or so. I know i need to take these “tests” with a grain of salt, but the stress i was experiencing during the workouts supported the fact I was bleeding fitness.

So now, this current situation is allowing me to re-start and re-re-group my training. I took another FTP test on Tuesday and now I have a baseline. My w/kg dropped almost .25 which isn’t the end of the world, but it does suck.

Instead of doing a high volume plan which consists of 8-9 hours a week on the trainer, i am going mid volume which is more around 5-6 hours a week. With some timing and re-arranging the workouts, I can still squeeze in 2 or 3 outside workouts. The beauty of the training program I am using is that you can push the workouts to your Garmin and although I have not done that yet, i plan on doing so when the time permits. Even though it is a PITA to do intervals which depend on consistent roads, I think the benefits will outweigh the negatives. The to and from the roads which would support the intervals will be JRA and enjoyable.

I could go on and but I’ll wrap up this post for now. I’ll leave with some pics of upgrade made to my road bike (which I have not upgraded at all in the 5 years I’ve owned it)

New Shoes!
F1FCAB7C-4E31-47AB-8C74-7AA12B1749EB.jpeg

Some new GIro Tech Lace Road shoes. I am a huge fan the Empire VR90 MTB shoes with laces and these are also really comfy for my feet. The Boa + lace/Velcro really allows for a secure but not tight form fitting feel. I am looking forward to many more miles with these.

New Power Meter
60ADA4A8-E1CF-494C-B803-20392486E8BA.jpeg

These Assioma pedals were on sale over the holidays and since I had been eyeing them up I took advantage. They are rechargeable and hold a charge for months which is a really nice change from my Stages PM. These match my Kickr power pretty closely so when i transition to road workouts, they’ll be the tool of choice.

New Bar tape
A7AAEA78-A04D-4250-9CCA-6589420F7DBC.jpeg

New Supacaz bartape. This is almost the best upgrade I’ve made. Gloves/no gloves, they are always sticky and feel nice. Plus the matchy design checks off my OCD box.

New Wheels
86C8419A-C716-4314-BDE9-36DF95317DF5.jpeg

I picked up the Dura Ace c24s used and pretty cheap. They are a huge upgrade from my ancient HEDs with a power tap. And they also took almost an lb off the bike which is really noticeable on the climbs. Maybe it’s placebo but placebo is a real thing!

6B3199FB-4683-48D5-AE2F-B419A8B53E03.jpeg

And when I replaced the bar tape (original) my bars were so crusted and corroded i had to replace them. I found these Easton EC70s online and cheap.

No real bling here. Just “peasant” stuff. I don’t ride my road bike to look cool, i ride it to get faster and with the exception of the shoes, these upgrades are functional. Now, when it comes to MTB parts that’s a different story but I can save that for another post.

It sounds like you're using TrainerRoad? If so, have you tried the workout builder? It was really nice to enter Mayhem and have it sort itself out.

I like the outside workout aspect, but find it hard to find a good place to do the workouts.

Read all the words

You mean these words that suggest he ordered online? The words that make no mention if the storefront is actually open for walk-in?

Also being grateful that black river roasters is offering 20% off and free shipping! I’m trying to support local business as mush as possible because I want them to still be here when this is over.

Asking for a friend.

You mean these words that suggest he ordered online? The words that make no mention if the storefront is actually open for walk-in?

Asking for a friend.

Not open for walk ins. I believe I was the first person to suffer the indignity of going there and having it closed seconds before i arrived.

Anyway... 20% off and free shipping... !! Use coupon code corona. (Srsly)

i have those pedals too, their claim of 50 hours battery life seems to be pretty spot on, at least for me (iv had them for about a year now) you may be able to eek a bit more out of them if you do longer rides.

also take note that when you get the low battery warning, i have been getting about 4 rides(~1 hour each) out of them (not the 8 hours that they claim).

I find it hard to even think about any structured training now, with races on hold. It would be fun to kick up CR Thursdays again. Getting together(at a distance) with Bruno, Millz, you, Jeff Johnson, Dave Taylor...for an hammer ride would be great...but if you drop me you have to regroup.

People have come and gone in racing, you continue to be focused on it and the training that goes with it, which is challenging year after year. Good races or bad races, showing up aint easy. Congrats, hopefully your training will be put to use at some point this year.

Back
Top Bottom