JORBAFest Schedule

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Okay Folks,

Here is the tenative schedule for JORBAfest. We are trying to pack a lot of activities into a relatively short period of time, so its going to be a fairly action packed day.

Again, just a reminder that JORBAfest is being held on Saturday, September 13th at the Waterloo Concert Field. (The rain date for this event is September 14th.) The concert field is located off of Waterloo Road (near the Mt. Allamuchy Boy Scout Camp entrance). The physical address is 10 Kinney Road, Stanhope, NJ 07874.

Tentative Schedule:

• 10am Registration Opens (Sign-in, Waiver, Bracelet)
  • 10:30am-2:30pm Advanced Mountain Bike Ride in Allamuchy State Park*
  • 10:30am-2:30pm Advanced Women's Only Ride in Allamuchy State Park*
  • 11:00am Jeff Lenosky!!! Trials Demonstration
  • 12:00pm-12:50pm 1st Skills Clinic by Cycleworks**
  • 12:15pm-2:45pm 1st Intermediate Mountain Bike Ride in Stephens State Park*
  • 12:15pm-1:15pm 1st Kids (8-12yrs) Ride by Tilcon Lake (1 to 2 miles)*
  • 12:30pm-2:00pm 1st Beginners Ride in Stephens State Park (4 miles)*
  • 12:40pm-2:05pm Women's Beginner Ride in Stephens State Park (4 miles)*
  • 1:00pm-1:50pm 2nd Skills Clinic by Cycleworks**
  • 2:00pm 1st Raffle
  • 2:00pm-2:50pm 3rd Skills Clinic by Cycleworks**
  • 2:30pm Cyclocross Demo
  • 3:00pm-5:00pm 2nd Intermediate Ride in Deer Park (7-10 miles)*
  • 3:00pm-4:30pm 2nd Beginners Mountain Bike Ride in Stephens State Park*
  • 3:00pm-4:00pm 2nd Kids (8-12yrs) Ride by Tilcon Lake (1 to 2 miles)*
  • 3:00pm-4:00pm Skinnies Contest
  • 3:00pm-3:50pm 4th Skills Clinic by Cycleworks**
  • 4:00pm Jeff Lenosky!!! Trials Demonstration
  • 5:00pm 2nd Raffle
  • 6:30pm Night Ride (Must pre-register and have 2 light systems!)

As you can see, we have plenty of ride options available. For those of you who wish not to ride in an organized group, we will also have a 7 mile marked intermediate loop in Stephens State Park.
Also, some of the Sponsors might be having their own events that are not listed here.

For more information, visit http://www.bikefest.jorba.org

Allamuchy Joe

Last edited:

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Is there something put together that i can post up on local forums? I was thinking of putting some info up on some local Hoboken forums that get a lot of traffic. I wouldn't mind meeting some people that live close to me.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Is there something put together that i can post up on local forums? I was thinking of putting some info up on some local Hoboken forums that get a lot of traffic. I wouldn't mind meeting some people that live close to me.

If you are looking for some super wordsmithing, Mr. Mergler used his silver tongue (and keyboard) to write up a nice description about the Festival on http://www.bikefest.jorba.org -- you can cut and paste that info and provide the link in the Hoboken forums.

Joe

THATmanMANNY

How advanced are we talking about for the advanced ride? Like expert fast (which I'm not). Or you mean just being able to handle techy things?

I would like to ride Allamuchy but doesn't look like there are other rides scheduled for Allamuchy except with the advanced ride...

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
How advanced are we talking about for the advanced ride? Like expert fast (which I'm not). Or you mean just being able to handle techy things?

I would like to ride Allamuchy but doesn't look like there are other rides scheduled for Allamuchy except with the advanced ride...

Our "ride boss" is detailing a description of ride levels. As soon as it is available, I'll post the list up.

One of the reasons for the "advanced" rated Allamuchy ride is the ride length. Once you get into Allamuchy North, you know you are in for a long time in a very technical side of the park (Waterloo Road Side). Stephens and Deer Park are great fast moving fun parks, especially for a festival type atmosphere.

The thought process behind the festival is that people do moderate rides, refuel, enjoy Jeff Lenosky's shows, take demo bikes out (Giant, Specialized and possibly Van Dessel), do the skinnies contest, visit our sponsors, enjoy the raffles, go on another ride, etc.

I digress -- I'll post up the descriptions of the rides as soon as I get the list. :)

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Raffle Prizes...

We have some really neat prizes from our sponsors for the raffle. The prizes include a Giant hardtail mountain bike, 2 Cadillac Cruiser bikes, Princeton Tec lightsets, IPod Shuffles, Thompson components, fender kits and more! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet. :D

Check out this site:

http://www2.jorba.org/index.php?title=Fest_raffle

Those Cadillac cruisers are really retro-cool -- too bad I can't win them. :)

Allamuchy Joe

Last edited:

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
I updated the schedule to include a 2:30pm Cyclocross Demo presented by Marty's Reliable.

The course will be open for everyone who wants to try their skills at Cyclocross.

Last edited:

ccbrendan

Shop: Cycle Craft
Shop Keep
Other Stuff At The Festival

The Cycle Craft Poker Rally got squeezed out by the tons of other rides so we are going to throw our prizes in to the general raffle. But make sure you stop by our truck for some other fun contests and prizes! We will be featuring, a log sawing contest, and a flat tire change contest. Got skillz? Show 'em off!
Also, we will be bringing some new Cannondale Rize 3 bikes for demo purposes, plus some Trek Fuel EX's. I don't have a ton of bikes so if you want to reserve a test ride, shoot me an email brendan@cyclecraft.com
And last but not least: We will have a very limited edition Festival T-shirt available only through us. The shirt will be $25 with proceeds going to JORBA.
See you there!
Brendan

Last edited:

rayder

disappointed

I was so looking forward to the poker run. At other festivals I've been at it was the most fun event. people could make a choice couldn't they as far as the ride or the poker run. maybe others feel the same or maybe I'm the only one in which case I would get the winning hand.

rayder

disappointed

I was so looking forward to the poker run. At other festivals I've been at it was the most fun event. people could make a choice couldn't they as far as the ride or the poker run. maybe others feel the same or maybe I'm the only one in which case I would get the winning hand!

ccbrendan

Shop: Cycle Craft
Shop Keep
Sorry about that Rayder

The powers that be felt the Poker Run timing was not meshing well with the schedule. I might put one together for later in the fall or maybe spring so keep an eye on the boards.
Also, it appears as though my bike toss contest does not excite the insurance types so I will have to can that. However, we will provide prizes for the Skinnies Contest instead! Practice your balance and get on board!
Thanks,
Brendan

D

DANSPANK

Could the second light system (required for the night ride) be a flash light?

f2f4

I really hope I can make this!

My little bro wants to come along too; hopefully he doesn't have football practice Saturday.

DD-

JORBAfest Ride Descriptions

Ride Descriptions:

BEGINNER: Beginner Rides will be held at the Stephens area of Allamuchy. These trails are for the most part smooth with the occasional rocky sections and several short mildly technical ascents and descents. Advanced bike handling skills are not required and your level of fitness does not have to be high although some base fitness is helpful. Slope gradient is beginner, friendly and there will be frequent stops. Expect about 1.5-2 hours for 4 miles of riding. If you have been riding for less than 6 months this is probably where you want to be.

INTERMEDIATE: The Intermediate Ride will be held in the Stephens (morning ride) and Deer Park (afternoon ride) section. Expect long climbs at a casual, conversational pace. Descending skills are very helpful but if you’ve been on the bike for over a year then you should be able to handle this ride without too much strain. Rocky, technical sections may be encountered where you’ll be encouraged to re-do until you successfully clean the section. There will be frequent stops but kept to less than 5 minutes each. Expect to cover about 7 miles in about 3hrs.

ADVANCED: The advanced ride (including the women’s) will be held at the North Section of the Park. The experienced rider with a strong base fitness level and reasonable technical skills will absolutely love this ride. Expect grueling, long, steep, rocky climbs with twisty downhill sections that will test your bike handling skills. Being an advanced ride, the pace will be strong but keep in mind that what makes this ride “advanced” is the terrain and technical challenge that it presents, having fitness will just help you enjoy it all the more. Stops will be limited and kept short. Expect to cover 15 miles in about 4 hours.

ADVANCED SPIRITED PACE: Similar to the advanced ride, this will be held at the North Section of the Park, the rider should have a strong base fitness level since this ride is geared to those with the racer mentality who like to ride at a quick pace. The terrain will be similar to the advanced ride with a bit less emphasis on the technical sections of the park. NOTE: THIS RIDE IS DEPENDENT ON THE NUMBER OF INTERESTED RIDERS, THIS RIDE MAY BE COMBINED WITH THE ADVANCED RIDE DEPENDING ON THE NUMBER OF REGISTRANTS.

Hope this information helps everyone decide which ride level they want to try.:)

Last edited:

DD-

Could the second light system (required for the night ride) be a flash light?

no, flashlight doesn't qualify. From our experience light systems sometimes fail, therefore the two systems have to be "bike light" systems - in case one fails, the other must be capable of allowing you to ride and get out of the woods. Expect 1.5-2 hours of night riding.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I think i will join in on the intermediate ride at Stephens seeing as i haven't ridden there and would like to see my way around. But i'm not finding a ride description from above where i fit in. I like technical terrain, but don't ride fast and depending on the way into the park need to take some rests. I'm working on my fitness level but i'm quite a ways from being able to climb the purple from tranquility without a few stops.

I know it is hard to cater these rides to everyone, so please don't think i'm criticizing. Just discussing an idea.

I want to ride Mooch North but i'll avoid the posted advanced rides as i don't want to hold anybody up. I don't want to do anything too official but i think i will head into Mooch for more techy and slower pace. I know my way around pretty well, but have never approached the park from Waterloo. So if anyone is interested in that sort of pace i wouldn't mind riding with them. Or we could start out with the Advanced group and if too slow split off, that could be a good idea.

I would also imagine there are going to be a lot of people that aren't on this site and have no idea what advanced mountain biking is. One parks advanced trails are another parks beginner trails. I imagine Mooch would come as a shock to those that only ride and have mastered Six Mile.

When you approach Mooch North from Waterloo, where do you enter? If you enter through BSA you avoid the major mountains going in. That could be good.

Top Bottom