JORBAfest Ride Descriptions

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
A know a lot of this is basic for MTBNJ'ers, but these are the general ride descriptions we are going to have available at the festival. Last year we had some people who underestimated the difficulty of the terrain and duration of the ride, so we are publishing these descriptions to help folks get a better understanding of what these ride levels mean.

Allamuchy Joe

JORBA Mountain Bike Fest Ride Descriptions***

Advanced Expert Ride (18 miles, 4 Hours): There are three advanced rides including one women’s only ride. The advanced rides will consist of a spirited pace with rough hill climbs over rocky technical sections in Allamuchy State Park. These rides will be up to 18 miles in length and approximately 4 hours in duration. There will be very few breaks and the spirited pace will be steady throughout the ride. Our ride leaders understand the terrain and physical demands required for this type of ride, so please heed any advice they might give.

Long Intermediate Ride (10-15 miles, 2.5 - 3 Hours): The long intermediate rides are designed for the experienced mountain biker who wants an extensive tour of either Stephens State Park or Deer Park. These rides will be approximately 10-15 miles in length, 3 hours in duration. These rides will be at a brisk pace with very few rest breaks. There will be lots of climbing involved and rocky areas will be ridden through. Our ride leaders understand the terrain and physical demands required for this type of ride, so please heed any advice they might give.

Short Intermediate Ride (7-10 miles, 1.5 - 2 Hours): The short intermediate rides are designed for the experienced mountain biker who wants a more casual paced tour of Stephens State Park or Deer Park. These rides will be approximately 7-10 miles in length, 2 hours in duration. These rides will be at a more casual pace with longer rest breaks. However, there will be lots of climbing involved and rocky areas will be ridden through. Our ride leaders understand the terrain and physical demands required for this type of ride, so please heed any advice they might give.

Beginner Ride (4 miles, 1 Hour): The beginner rides are designed for the newer mountain biker – someone who may or may not have ridden on the trails a couple of times. These rides are sponsored by our Title Sponsor Local Bicycle Shops – Bicycle-Pro, Cycle Craft, Cycleworks and Marty’s Reliable Cycle. These rides will consist of mostly rolling terrain with frequent stops. Feel free to ask questions & get technical pointers from the ride leaders. These rides are designed to introduce novice mountain bikers to a Local Bike Shop, to help learn skills from experienced riders and to show that mountain biking can be very fun & social activity.

Kids Ride (~4 miles, 1 Hour): The kids’ rides are sponsored by Team MTBNJ.com. Team MTBNJ.com will take the kids and parents on a fairly short rolling ride on dirt roads and singletrack trails. This ride is designed to be fun for the kids and parents alike. Parents are strongly encouraged to join the rides. If parents cannot join the ride, they will be asked to sign an additional waiver.

*** Please make sure your bicycle is in good working order prior to departing on a ride. That includes properly inflated tires, working brakes and your chain is lubricated properly. If you are not sure if the bike is in good working order, feel free to stop by any of the bicycle shop sponsor areas or the JORBA tent to get a quick assessment of the bike. We ask this so everyone can enjoy a nice ride and not have to wait on the trail while mechanical problems are fixed. All riders are responsible for making all appropriate repairs in the event of a mechanical problem during the ride. Everyone must have water and wear a helmet.

Last edited:
The descriptions are good but when they sign up maybe someone should ask to see the bike they'll be riding and evaluate if the bike is suitable for the type of ride they're signing up for.

The descriptions are good but when they sign up maybe someone should ask to see the bike they'll be riding and evaluate if the bike is suitable for the type of ride they're signing up for.

On the descriptions, I mention that everyone should have a bicycle in good working order and, if they are unsure, to have them evaluated. I also mention that they should heed any advice from the ride leaders. In other words: The ride leaders have the ultimate authority on who goes on the ride.

I wouldn't be too quick to use bicycle types as a method of evaluation. If they have a road bike, then yeah, that's not going to cut the mustard. If they have a BSO (bike shaped object), I wouldn't use that as a gauge for their abilities. As Bob W points out, his wife started out on a Huffy -- as you know Tony, she can kick out butts on the trails anyday! :)

Yeah boy I'm all over it with my trusty rectal thermometer:

boxer.jpg

:rolleyes:You guys always give me a good laugh---just one of the reasons I love this site---Thanks--- Can't wait for jorba day...

Damn wish i could be there but i will be taking my annual trip to Niagra falls with my wife for a week, hmmm, wonder if theres any trails near where im going....

Damn wish i could be there but i will be taking my annual trip to Niagra falls with my wife for a week, hmmm, wonder if theres any trails near where im going....

Do the barrel thing -- just watch it, as that first downhill is a doozie!

debating on what ride ima do. im so out of shape from not riding.

I'm leading two different intermediate rides the short 7-10 miles and large about 15 miles... I have been doing the short with wife and would think that it's very doable for you. Also don't forget there will be bailouts and self guided trails marked too.

Totally non constructive but..........Advanced Expert,few breaks,spirited pace, 18ish in 4? You'd be DFL in cat 3 at that pace:popcorn:

I didn't do the expert last year but that's what I intend to do this year. IMO I don't think it's fast like CAT whatevers but you just need good endurance and a steady pace for a few hours. You'll probably ride mooch's cream of the crops which means climb after climb but the rewards are on the way down :D. I have only ridden mooch with ppl that know the place and those specific riders push me to ride a total different style. Hopefully I'll see some of those men.

If you did expert last year chime in and tell us how it all goes down...

Back
Top Bottom