JORBA article in the Star Ledger

Wazu

GREAT JOB JORBA. Thanks for all you do. Can't freaking wait to see what you guys are gonna do to the Mooch! p.s. Way to lobby for the money.:cool:

ArmyOfNone

Le
0094631039058.jpg

Git

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nooooot exactly where I was going with that Fred, but I'll give you a half point.

It shoots through schools.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Yes! Exciting stuff! Thanks guys.

I have to mention that our treasurer/grant administrator, Mick Tormey, did an outstanding job! We asked for a lot of money from the state and they have entrusted us to build trails and improve public lands. Its a big responsibility we look forward to... til then. Hope to see some of you out there enjoying some new trails.

Jeff

p.s. I'll never get used to seeing my name in the paper :getsome:

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
I will fight this w/ every scrap of my existence................

I wouldn't worry about JORBA turning your favorite trails into superhighways. There's too much great terrain in Jersey that you couldn't get to with a Ditch Witch without throwing the track every hundred feet or watching it tumble down a rocky sideslope.

Machines are really good for three things- (1) beginner/multi-user trails that most of us on this forum won't be riding much anyway, but which are an important part of bringing new people into the sport as well as providing a reason for other trail user groups like walkers, joggers and equestrians to support mtbers (since they enjoy such trails, but rarely if ever *build* the trails, and none of the parks departments have funding to build new trails like that), (2) trail remediation, ie rerouting and covering up older, poorly built fall-line trails and carriage roads that would be nearly impossible to do by hand but which is an important part of mtb'ers contribution to overall trail health, and (3) dirt jumps and other man-made freeride-ish terrain.

We've shied away from machine-built XC trails in NYC, because they're initially too wide (even though they do get narrower as time goes on) and that width would attract negative use from ATV's and motos. But I can see how a machine would come in handy over the next decade of trail building, trail remediation, and technical feature building all over New Jersey.

Nice work, JORBA!

T

tlnj

Is this a good thing?

First of all, I have to give JORBA props for all their hard work. I'm really impressed that you guys got state $

On the flip side, I have to question whether this machine [and announcing the purchase of it] does us any good.

It seems to me that this may give our adverseries some fuel based on these two arguments:

1. "Not only are mountain bikers bringing bikes into the woods, now they're bringing in a machine?"
2. "Yikes, mountain bikers are going to build more trails! This will destroy our woods."

I'm not saying this is how I think, but I can easily see the potential for controversy.

Where does the Trail Conference stand on the use of this type of machinery?

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I'm reading that they did not get money.They have to spend their own and then get reimbursed.....hopefully they don't have their own$$

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you have a valid objection you should put it together and voice it. Hoping they can't get the money isn't going to work, since a fair number of people have credit card limits of $20k these days.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I will fight this w/ every scrap of my existence................

Are you against the use of a tool, to construct trails under the supervision of the land manager, with methods recommended by IMBA? Did you bother to ask what the tool would be used for, and where?

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
If you have a valid objection you should put it together and voice it. Hoping they can't get the money isn't going to work, since a fair number of people have credit card limits of $20k these days.

It's the best he can do without crayons.

Top Bottom