JimThorpe

Shaggz

A strong 7
I was doing some work in PA yesterday, and never realized how "close" Jim Thorpe is to the NJ border. Has anyone ridden there? I'd like to go out there this summer.

D

dzm3

Yeah, I've been there. I know some of the better marked or easier to follow trails, but I've also gone with some locals on really sweet trails, but there are not as easy to find/follow without someone who knows the area.

dz

The Rose

I rode there a few years ago when they still had the Mountain bike weekend there. What a great place. Some of the trails are very scenic.

The Rose

No. The guy who ran them ( can't remember his name ) tried to pass the torch to someone else but I guess he didn't have much luck. I think they were having some problems with the park as well. So it was either 2005 or 2006 that it ended. I think the old site is still up. www.soeast.com . It's too bad it had to end. It was a small event, alot of great riding, in a great place.

T

triameleon

been there a few times...

...last trip was at the festival. A few trips on my own. never was very impressed with the trails there. American standard was good but I hear it's now closed to bikes, in fact the whole Broad mountain section was rumored to be shut down to bikes. I have heard there are great trails that you need a guide to find, I don't buy it. A very beautiful area with an interesting history, just not the "colorado of the East" as they say.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Jt

Super fun spot with lot of hidden stuff that you will ride right by if you don't have a local guide.

One of my best memorios of JT is a ride with Jay Dejesus. Super cool guy with mad skills.

Check it out.

j

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Super fun spot with lot of hidden stuff that you will ride right by if you don't have a local guide.

One of my best memorios of JT is a ride with Jay Dejesus. Super cool guy with mad skills.

Check it out.

j

Jay Dejesus just had some pretty serious health problems, didn't he? Don't know what ever happened with that.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I am pretty sure he had bacterial meningitis.

He almost died but after a rough hospital stay he pulled out of it..

.or so I heard.

j

BLH2

Shop: Eurocycle
Shop Keep
great place to ride and bring the wife, I use to attend the Bike festival, was alot of fun. A great place to spend the night is at Victoria Anns Bed a Breakfast.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's a really fun place to ride. Well worth the trip from Jersey. Been there 5 times & plan on another trip this year. It does help if you hook up with someone who knows the trails.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
I was doing some work in PA yesterday, and never realized how "close" Jim Thorpe is to the NJ border. Has anyone ridden there? I'd like to go out there this summer.

They closed a lot of the trails. Back in 2004 I wrote to PA State about the issue and got the following reply:

"GM, Comments" <PGCCOMMENTS@STATE.PA.US> wrote:

State Game Lands are not intended to be multi-purpose lands. They are, by law, for hunting and trapping. Also, federal regulations would disqualify the Game Commission from receiving millions of federal dollars from the Pittman-Robertson program if we were to give a blanket permit to non-traditional uses of State Game Lands. We have, however, identified more than 1,000 miles of designated routes that can be used by mountain bikers during certain times of the year.

Here is a link to our designated routes (scroll down once you click on the link):
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/browse.asp?a=480&bc=0&c=69913&pgcNav=|

I asked if mountain bikers could buy a hunting permit to ride in the gamelands, and the answer was a resounding "NO!". So, I politely reminded the guy that people who spend $2000-$3000 on bicycles have lots of disposable income to spend in their towns and help out the local economy. I personally would visit the two bike stores in town out there, buy a few things and then go out to dinner there. Also, I would buy a lunch out there for when I was on the trails. In total, I would probably drop about $60-$80 a visit. And I wouldn't go alone, either, so others in my group would spend money as well. Now none of us go there.

BTW, the "more than 1,000 miles of designated routes" he mentioned in the email are all fire roads and rail trails. Really exciting stuff :sleep: Then the official suggested I ride in Hickory Run State Park -- I guess he didn't realize that there is no mountain biking allowed in that park. Oh well.

Some people say you can still ride there, but if the game wardens catch you it could be trouble. Me, I have decided that a place that treats mountain bikers like criminals doesn't deserve my money pumped into the local economy -- I'll spend it places that make an effort to friendly to mountain bikers like Kingdom Trails in VT.

Last edited:

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
They closed a lot of the trails. Back in 2004 I wrote to PA State about the issue and got the following reply:

"GM, Comments" <PGCCOMMENTS@STATE.PA.US> wrote:

State Game Lands are not intended to be multi-purpose lands. They are, by law, for hunting and trapping. Also, federal regulations would disqualify the Game Commission from receiving millions of federal dollars from the Pittman-Robertson program if we were to give a blanket permit to non-traditional uses of State Game Lands. We have, however, identified more than 1,000 miles of designated routes that can be used by mountain bikers during certain times of the year.

Here is a link to our designated routes (scroll down once you click on the link):
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/browse.asp?a=480&bc=0&c=69913&pgcNav=|

I asked if mountain bikers could buy a hunting permit to ride in the gamelands, and the answer was a resounding "NO!". So, I politely reminded the guy that people who spend $2000-$3000 on bicycles have lots of disposable income to spend in their towns and help out the local economy. I personally would visit the two bike stores in town out there, buy a few things and then go out to dinner there. Also, I would buy a lunch out there for when I was on the trails. In total, I would probably drop about $60-$80 a visit. And I wouldn't go alone, either, so others in my group would spend money as well. Now none of us go there.

BTW, the "more than 1,000 miles of designated routes" he mentioned in the email are all fire roads and rail trails. Really exciting stuff :sleep: Then the official suggested I ride in Hickory Run State Park -- I guess he didn't realize that there is no mountain biking allowed in that park. Oh well.

Some people say you can still ride there, but if the game wardens catch you it could be trouble. Me, I have decided that a place that treats mountain bikers like criminals doesn't deserve my money pumped into the local economy -- I'll spend it places that make an effort to friendly to mountain bikers like Kingdom Trails in VT.

Well said, Joe!
The trails at JT were nice though...:(

btw - heading up to Kingdom Trails June 15 - 17.

Top Bottom