Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Thanks yo. That kid jumped that thing and I was like, holy balls, do it again!! I've never seen anyone actually hit that stuff across Hospital Road.

Steve Vai

Registered for the PA600k, should be a hoot. A couple NJ Rando folks are headed down to VA for a 600k the week after so I'm trying to get in on that as well. Then it's the NJ400, Longest Day, and NJ600. Gonna be a busy 6 weeks!!

The Kalmyk

Registered for the PA600k, should be a hoot. A couple NJ Rando folks are headed down to VA for a 600k the week after so I'm trying to get in on that as well. Then it's the NJ400, Longest Day, and NJ600. Gonna be a busy 6 weeks!!

Jim- enjoy the ride. Can’t wait to here about it.

Steve Vai

Always screwing around with my set-up. Using a Swat bottle mount to put an anything cage and bag under the saddle. Also using the XL K Edge with a Go Pro mount light to clear up space on the bars.

20180514_214623.jpg
20180514_215053.jpg
20180514_215109.jpg

Steve Vai

Those K-Edge mounts are the balls

Hells yes. A lot of the new things, like this light are coming stock with GoPro mounts so it's finally legit. I had a Barfly one but the light just gets rubber banded to the bracket and the light would fall off. Dumb. Time will tell if a 1,000 lumen light will be enough though. I found a company that 3d prints Cateye to GoPro adapter mounts if needed. Then I can run my trusty 1600...

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Hells yes. A lot of the new things, like this light are coming stock with GoPro mounts so it's finally legit. I had a Barfly one but the light just gets rubber banded to the bracket and the light would fall off. Dumb. Time will tell if a 1,000 lumen light will be enough though. I found a company that 3d prints Cateye to GoPro adapter mounts if needed. Then I can run my trusty 1600...

Whoah, Cat-Eye to gopro? I want one! Scratch that. I NEED one.

qclabrat

noticed you went without aerobars for the new distance bike. Why the change from the last build? Also never spotted it, but see you have Speedplays, do you find the extra float help on longer rides?

Steve Vai

noticed you went without aerobars for the new distance bike. Why the change from the last build? Also never spotted it, but see you have Speedplays, do you find the extra float help on longer rides?

The new bike is comfortable enough that I no longer need the bars. Although I may run them for faster events.

I've been on Speedplays since the Zeros came out. I run the float at almost Zero degrees. I use them because they have a much larger contact patch and stop hot spots for me. Also, I'm so used to a dual-sided pedal that I can barely clip in to a normal road pedal.

Steve Vai

650 wheels?
Are rear racks out of fashion? Is it an aero reason

700c wheels. I'm not sure why folks don't use rear racks anymore. I personally prefer weight over the back wheel or in the frame. We use a Pizza Rack like this on our lunch bike and the bars are pretty hard to turn when it's loaded.

I just build what people ask me to :)

The Kalmyk

700c wheels. I'm not sure why folks don't use rear racks anymore. I personally prefer weight over the back wheel or in the frame. We use a Pizza Rack like this on our lunch bike and the bars are pretty hard to turn when it's loaded.

I just build what people ask me to :)

Rookies load the back before the front. A very close friend of mine taught me that years ago. Front to back. He’s completed over 20 tours across the world

Steve Vai

Front to back? Amateur. The Pros weigh their gear and pack in equal amounts over the length of the bike starting in the middle. That's why Ultra racers use frame packs ;)

The Kalmyk

Front to back? Amateur. The Pros weigh their gear and pack in equal amounts over the length of the bike starting in the middle. That's why Ultra racers use frame packs ;)

Fair point. Serious question here. Are traditional rando guys buying into the frame packs for longer rides?

Steve Vai

Fair point. Serious question here. Are traditional rando guys buying into the frame packs for longer rides?

No. They're still into those weird handlebar bag things. There was a guy last year with a Revelate saddle bag though. My bike is always totally different than anything else there.

Dean S

Cool build. Front load bias works great only when paired with a low trail steering geometry. Feels very stable but responsive. Nitto M-12 with boxy handlebar bag makes a lot of sense, easy snacking & changing clothes without stopping. Quick release decaleur for bringing the bag into the quickie mart,/truckstop/hotel. Bag is in line with your body so its pretty aero. I lash a wald basket to my m-12 and stuff a big shopping bag into that for bike camping, maybe 25lbs, the steering slows down a little bit in a nice way.

Top Bottom