Going Long and Hard.

TedH

Sarah needs pink or white hoods.

Measure the HT of that massive Seven - I think mine is smaller. Agree with you on the red coloring, especially on nude ti.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Hm. Friday is the last time I was in here? While I'd love to say it's because I've been out putting 100's of miles on my bike, it's simply not the case.

Commuted saturday on the bike. Took sunday off because of the rain. Which may be the first time in a while I've taken off due to weather. I'm getting weak in my old age!!

Monday was family day so we headed out to LSC for a day out.

291972_2337946850070_1291834825_2909721_4859488_n.jpg

My wife is a teacher so we get the hook-up with the admission. We've been here a few times already this year but for some reason this place never gets old!!

296868_2337946410059_1291834825_2909720_5821747_n.jpg

The big turtle isn't there right now. They moved him and replaced him with a big frog. We were sad and went to play in the water instead.

228948_2337947690091_1291834825_2909722_4037453_n.jpg

Tuesday is the shop ride. Smallerish group. Most of the local yokels. I felt like instigating after 2 days off the bike. Nothing worked out for me, but that's how the cookie crumbles. At least I didn't get dropped.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/107685361

I've generally been pretty tired for a bit too long now. Mr. Iggy suggested I take a couple weeks completely off the bike. It's been suggested by my co-workers to get into the Dr. to get some blood work done to see if I caught something. I may do both. Especially after wednesday's CX practice. I haven't felt that bad in quite a long time. Of course I was having way to much fun torturing myself to just call it in. I seem not to have that call it in trigger in my brain. And it's a blast to see everyone come out and play.

298340_2336237527338_1291834825_2907969_1292142_n.jpg

The grass felt pretty deep and soggy. Made you work pretty much the whole time. With a single 42t and a 26 on the back, I definitely got knocked well outside my comfort zone. That's sorta the point though!!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/107685359

Thursday I was supposed to meet up with a fellow on Vortex to buy my wheels off my bunny. Not the gold ones. The other ones, don't worry!! He got stuck at work and couldn't make it so I missed a ride. Dangit!! Figured I'd use the day and get farther into my Jim-TECH wheel pile. So far I've built 8 pairs of these. They seem to be a hit!! Here's some shop stuff...

First off, thanks Colin. The Hawley tip was awesome, I owe you something, just give the word. We called and ordered everything they had in stock, which was only 20. 12 of them were already pre-sold. I posted a Tweet that we had them in the shop and the rest went within an hour or so...

293245_2336234527263_1291834825_2907958_5441295_n.jpg

They look super badass. After work I finished my blue/purple Jim-TECH wheels and plopped the Limus on to stretch. BEEFCAKE!!

297142_2336991986199_1291834825_2908808_3009539_n.jpg

Here's a detail on the blue/purple.

295933_2336968465611_1291834825_2908792_8348843_n.jpg

Somewhat related. Here's a detail on a set of Belgiums I built earlier in the day.

297726_2336493093727_1291834825_2908361_2998867_n.jpg

It's all in the details!! So far every pair of Belgiums I've built has the matching flag nipples, it just seems like the right thing to do!!

My headache for the week. Vittoria ran out of Mastik One a few weeks back. In the meantime my pile of tubulars to glue has gotten bigger and bigger. I started the week with this pile, 10 wheels...

297614_2336239407385_1291834825_2907974_1313188_n.jpg

Add to that all the Limus we just sold? 1/2 hour a pop? Looking at about 14 hours worth of tire gluing. With taking a lunch break that's 2 full days of work at the shop...OMG, I'm leaving right now :drooling:

-Jim.

TedH

Jim - I have the Limus on item watch at QBP. Did you get yours there?

Built Hed C2's to King r45's and love them although I dented a sidewalls at He'll of Hunterdon.

Built up some Major Tom rims to King classic hubs for my not yet present Limus tubulars and am looking forward to that for the sloppy days.

Steve Vai

The Limus isn't coming into stock at QBP until mid-september. It'll be close but should be before the real slop starts :D

-Jim.

Steve Vai

The whole purpose of the Jim-TECH wheels are that they're wallet friendly. $425 for a pair. And they're not THAT heavy at just under 1750 grams per set. I may have said it somewhere before but I can build 4 sets of these WITH 8 tires for around the same price as a single pair of Zipp 303s. That's awesome IMO. We all know in the cross world it's all about tires!!

-Jim.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've generally been pretty tired for a bit too long now. Mr. Iggy suggested I take a couple weeks completely off the bike. It's been suggested by my co-workers to get into the Dr. to get some blood work done to see if I caught something. I may do both. Especially after wednesday's CX practice. I haven't felt that bad in quite a long time. Of course I was having way to much fun torturing myself to just call it in. I seem not to have that call it in trigger in my brain. And it's a blast to see everyone come out and play.

Damn! Sorry to hear it was you feeling bleh that kept you in view for more than a couple of turns the other day. Hope you get this sorted out and feel better.

mtnbiker7

The whole purpose of the Jim-TECH wheels are that they're wallet friendly. $425 for a pair. And they're not THAT heavy at just under 1750 grams per set. I may have said it somewhere before but I can build 4 sets of these WITH 8 tires for around the same price as a single pair of Zipp 303s. That's awesome IMO. We all know in the cross world it's all about tires!!

-Jim.

What would you reccomend for a Jim-Tech cross wheelset for disc brakes? I might have to build myself a pair.

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Friday. Well. No bike. Drove in again. Stupid Vortex guy was supposed to meet me at the shop again but got caught in the city and re-scheduled anyway. It actually worked out because...

LOOK!!

301530_2338772710716_1291834825_2910454_4771144_n.jpg

We got a case of glue in this morning :D

So I spent my day playing with wheels and tires instead. After all the glue huffing I'm not sure I would've been able to ride home anyways. I did run into one small problem. My glue rack only holds 8 wheels. I'll need to come up with a solution so I can have a second rack with the tires so I can do them all at the same time.

205960_2339276563312_1291834825_2911130_5830377_n.jpg

I got to break away from the glue just long enough to build a couple wheels. One little Jr. BMX for some dude. Nothing special. The second an MTBNJ favorite, Hope Pro2 EVO laced to a Flow29. This guy has good taste and went with green. NICE!!

299932_2339882178452_1291834825_2911721_5757126_n.jpg

And just before I leave, I get the details of my first project for next week. Jeff's Resolute is in!! He's going clean and classy. Should be a fun build. Plus he's my size so I'll actually get to ride this thing around. There's something else coming in from Seven on monday but I forgot what it is. More than likely another Resolute, it would appear I've started some kind of trend :D

298118_2338769470635_1291834825_2910449_5346308_n.jpg

PS-On the purple. Still on the hunt for a Aliante TEST saddle, keep your eyes peeled. I have my industry peeps on the hunt so we'll see.

PPS-I found something absolutely amazing and retro for my purple build. Actually it's 2 things. Hopefully it'll make you crap yourself when you see!!

PPPS-Thanks for the concern Sean. I believe wednesday was a 1-2 combo of being tired and having a monster gear, which made me more tired. I think I died during the 2nd set :eek:

-Jim.

Steve Vai

What's the difference b/t with Hope Pro 2 and Pro 2 Evo hubs?

The EVO is just the newer version of the Pro 2. Other than a few minor shell changes to reduce weight, it's damn near the same. The first couple I built I didn't even catch the differences.

These guys have the Limus tubie tires on hand:

http://www.hasgllc.com/

Thanks for the heads up!! I've never heard of these guys before, will have to give them a call on monday. As an FYI, Action will not be getting Limus tires at all. We did quite a bit of Challenge business with them last year.

Saturday

Yeah. Commute to work. Went in a tad early so I could make more of a dent in my pile O' tires. Got 2 tires actually mounted and finished.

It was my turn to teach the saturday flat class. I do a shorter version than the other guys because I just have too much work on my plate. :D

I got my memory jogged on the other Seven project coming in next week. A lovely, and I mean LOVELY older women is getting an Axiom S. I sat in the meeting between her and the Bear discussing the build. It works out best when I sit in on these so I can hear directly from customer how they want the bike. Surprisingly she's doing a black and white theme, so it's gonna look a lot like Scott's.

Slept in today. Skipped the shop ride. Tired son. Gonna catch up on some zzzzz's and see how that plays out.

That is all...

-Jim.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Slept in today. Skipped the shop ride. Tired son. Gonna catch up on some zzzzz's and see how that plays out.

-Jim.
zzz's are good. rest up for xc season then blow your load. i don't want to head about colds/sickness in october. stay healthy.

Steve Vai

Slept in again today. Actually it was planned. My wife has a doctor's appointment this morning so I didn't have to get up and ride :D

Speaking of riding. I've started taking the Training Peaks CX program I have printed out from last year and entering it into my TP calendar. Haven't decided if I'm actually gonna follow it, but it'll be there. It's a small step. Tuesday and wednesday will have to be flipped around, other than that, it's pretty much game on.

The ride. Commute. Same as it ever was. This morning I realized that going over Washington Rock everyday may not be the best approach to recovery:hmmm:

Our older and now 155 pound Eric also brought up an interesting point. Being on your feet all day, every day, isn't great for recovery either. The past couple years I've been injured enough that I've had a bunch of time completely off the bike, like MONTHS off the bike. Taking months off is good for recovery, not for fitness, but for recovery. Somewhere in between the truth lies.

Work was worky. Got no where with my tire pile. We was slammed. Mike is in Philly wrenching the LiveStrong ride and Young Eric is wrenching at the Tour De Colorado so we were down 2 bodies. Jeff picked up his Resolute though, he's building it himself!! So that opens me up a little this week. You've just been auto-tuned (said in weird auto-tune voice).

Craziness. I'm building another trials bike. Even though I haven't spent too much time goofing around with that stuff since I started racing XC, I did jump on the bike from time to time to at least get it out of my system for a bit. I have more opportunity to ride a bike like that these days. Like when I take the boys to the park and such, I still look at everything like it's an obstacle. It'll also be a much better way for me to rehabilitate my shoulder. And it will be a ton of fun just to build:D

Here's a preview of awesomeness...

attachment.php

-Jim.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just one man's opinion, but some notes on that print out you got there:

* week 1 is an attempt to shock & awe you. You may want to pick and choose a little in that first week
* In general, when it says 2-3 or 4-5 sets of something, I'd go with the 2 or 4 instead of the 3 or 5. The plan is meant for elite racers. While you and I might be fast in these environs, really, we're not the top end this plan is targeting. I always opted for the "more" option and by December I was pretty exhausted. Well, I had a 6 week cold, you may remember.
* The 6:murder workout is clearly some leftover literature from the WWII Nazi regime. Yeah I know some people don't like Nazi jokes but I'm going with it. It's impossible to hit the prescribed numbers.
* I sort of threw out the 3-4 hour tempo workouts on the weekends I wasn't racing. I think that was a mistake as my base was about 45 minutes by the end. Anything beyond that was a chore.

But, IME, the plan works.

Top Bottom