Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Spent some time today getting feedback from Nome Veterans about Drop Bag Timing and reliability. I figured about 25% would get lost. JayP and Jay Cable suggest that number is significantly higher. So I ordered another couple hundred dollars worth of Good to Go Meals and 15 Green Belly meals. My main plan for now is to ship a ton of stuff to McGratch and the ITI staffed drop in Cripple. Those are guaranteed to get there. Ruby, Gelena, and White Mountain are all Checkpoints at people's houses so they're also mostly reliable. Should be able to make it work within those parameters as long as I don't get caught in weather or trail conditions that stop me for an unknown time. Last of my drop stuff will be here before the weekend and then I'll button those up.

Steve Vai

PSX_20220127_100204.jpg

20220127_072538.jpg

I forgot to pump my tires before I left to ride this morning. Went to Co2 it at the big bridge on Blue and ended up deflating my tire because I brought a broken inflator with me. Slow rolled Red out...Still better than being inside.

Steve Vai

Cleaning up my light set-up. I originally had it routed and taped to the outside of the fork in case something happened, but then I was like, something is less likely to happen if it's inside the fork 🤔

20220128_081955.jpg

20220128_082530.jpg

I have a few inches of wire rolled up and ziptied inside the bracket for a field repair if needed.

The Kalmyk

Cleaning up my light set-up. I originally had it routed and taped to the outside of the fork in case something happened, but then I was like, something is less likely to happen if it's inside the fork 🤔

View attachment 177348

View attachment 177349

I have a few inches of wire rolled up and ziptied inside the bracket for a field repair if needed.

The unknown makes it fun huh🤘🏻🤘🏻

Steve Vai

Oh hey, it's another batch of food. I have 15 of these Meal Bars now. Figure these will be great for Lunch so I don't have to cook 3 times per day. Save some gas. They don't pack any smaller so I'll have to mail them out to McGrath, Cripple, and Gelena. Those will be my big drops.

And 1 box of batteries. I was supposed to get 2 but I think it got lost.

Buying M&Ms and Swedish Fish last so I don't eat them now.

20220128_184800.jpg

serviceguy

Are you going to post a complete recap of your setup for Alaska? Both bike and camping equipment…maybe worth in order to make sure you don’t forget anything LOL

Steve Vai

Are you going to post a complete recap of your setup for Alaska? Both bike and camping equipment…maybe worth in order to make sure you don’t forget anything LOL

It's sort of an evolving theme. I probably won't have my exact setup until Race Start. As JayP always says, you don't need to be ready until the Start Gun goes off.

But here's a first draft from my overnight ride Saturday into this morning. I ran about 90% loaded.

The biggest differences is that for ITI I'll run 4 Anything Cages on the fork. 2 Revelate Feedbags. My jPaks huge top tube bag. And I'll run my Fuel Bottle on the downtube. I'll probably also run my mini handlebar bag to keep spare electronics. I ran 1 pannier with my pot, stove and food and had spare layers in the other. That side will also be filled with food.

During this training ride I only ate Lunch on the trail and skipped dinner and breakfast in 24 hours. I pushed the bike for about 6 hours in total.

20220129_123020.jpg

serviceguy

It's sort of an evolving theme. I probably won't have my exact setup until Race Start. As JayP always says, you don't need to be ready until the Start Gun goes off.

But here's a first draft from my overnight ride Saturday into this morning. I ran about 90% loaded.

The biggest differences is that for ITI I'll run 4 Anything Cages on the fork. 2 Revelate Feedbags. My jPaks huge top tube bag. And I'll run my Fuel Bottle on the downtube. I'll probably also run my mini handlebar bag to keep spare electronics. I ran 1 pannier with my pot, stove and food and had spare layers in the other. That side will also be filled with food.

During this training ride I only ate Lunch on the trail and skipped dinner and breakfast in 24 hours. I pushed the bike for about 6 hours in total.

View attachment 177539
The ride didn’t show up on Strava, keeping it on the down lawn not to give any tips to the competition? Where did you ride?

ekuhn

View attachment 177539
Saw you on Canal Rd and you looked zoned in. Was shocked you were on the road, figured maybe the towpath hasn't gotten any better since the storm in Sept. but you seem to break some trail regardless.

Steve Vai

Saw you on Canal Rd and you looked zoned in. Was shocked you were on the road, figured maybe the towpath hasn't gotten any better since the storm in Sept. but you seem to break some trail regardless.

I had to walk from Griggstown to Rocky Point so I took the road back to Griggstown...

Top Bottom