Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Anniversary 200k went better than expected. I made a last second decision to run the Tarmac just because I really wanted a 32c tire for this. The roads through Fort Lee are shit, West Milford is shit, going through Wayway is shit. And then all that coming back is shit. So 32c Tubeless tires.

Led the 70ish rider group out of town where I was joined by 3 other guys. Guys I've ridden with before so it was a good group. Chris #1 kept pulling hard as F up any climb so the other 3 of us were like, we should just let him go or we're going to die before C2. As it is we hit C2 with a 22mph average, which was mostly uphill.

Chris #1 blew through the Control after dropping us, so we passed him, he went back, caught us, and then got to drop us a second time. There was a bridge out at mile 50 something so we had to walk through some water and climb a bank. We caught Chris #1 again. He dropped us again.

At C3 John decided he needed to eat lunch and he was having Garmin issues. Me and Chris#2 took a 2 minute stop and continued on. Nice and steady pace to C4 with a few gravel sections, again 32c was the right move. C4 we bought donuts, which we ate in line to pay to save time. Off the bike 5 minutes tops.

Going over Harriman my legs started to backfire a bit but I knew it was essentially 30 miles downhill so it wouldn't matter. It didn't. Until like 5 to go where we seemed to hit every red light and little BS climb imaginable. My legs locked up and I had to stretch off the bike for a couple minutes. Chris#2 was committed to finishing together being we rode like 125 miles together already.

Legs came right back and we finished in 8:04 in 2nd/3rd with the same time. Chris #1 ran a 7:28. He said he wanted to run a straight through Brevet like I did to him earlier in the season. They learn young. Stopping is always slow.

strava6683942172205466408.jpg

PSX_20210911_160939.jpg

PSX_20210911_160858.jpg

Steve Vai

Monday Recovery Commute. Legs were surprisingly stingy after Saturday, which is something that doesn't really happen very often. I may have gone slightly harder than I thought given my current fitness level.

Anywhoo. Took today off the bike to rebuild Pinky after the flood and to prep for Bearscat and the now cancelled Iron Gate. Frame up tear down including a fork refresh and bump in travel to 100mm. Also swapped back to my favorite tire combo of Ardent/Rekon in 2.4. The bike is just over 20lbs now but the trade off is worth it I think. Especially for Bearscat.

PSX_20210914_185744.jpg

JDurk

Monday Recovery Commute. Legs were surprisingly stingy after Saturday, which is something that doesn't really happen very often. I may have gone slightly harder than I thought given my current fitness level.

Anywhoo. Took today off the bike to rebuild Pinky after the flood and to prep for Bearscat and the now cancelled Iron Gate. Frame up tear down including a fork refresh and bump in travel to 100mm. Also swapped back to my favorite tire combo of Ardent/Rekon in 2.4. The bike is just over 20lbs now but the trade off is worth it I think. Especially for Bearscat.

View attachment 167215
I was Ardent 2.4 F/R. Currently Rekon 2.6/2.4. Thinking of going back to the Ardent 2.4 up front. Can't seem to find the right pressure with the 2.6. Cushy soft, it tends to roll in turns. Higher pressure, and it seems to wash out.

Steve Vai

I run the 2.6 on my 27.5 wheelset. Sorta in the same boat, it's either too stiff, or rolls off the rim. I was going to just swap the Motos from my Reeb with the DHF/DHR because seems like a lot of fun.

Steve Vai

Up at the buttcrack of dawn to battle 3 family members making their way out of the house. It didn't work so I wasn't able to leave until 7 because everyone else is out at 6:35. Or I get up at 5am and beat the rush? Anyway, the new shop hours eat balls. 10am? Psshhh. Horseshit.

Hitting Crizzle at 7:30ish gives me 2 hours ride time including averaging 125mph down 78 to Summit.

PSX_20210915_124128.jpg

PSX_20210915_195026.jpg

Tbof

what didn’t you like about it ? Thinking of purchasing some myself. Thanks
Free Huel if anyone wants it. I bought the 3 bag deal with the pot and scoops but I don't like it. They have a satisfaction refund and said to give it away instead of sending it back. So, free if you want any

Steve Vai

Bearscat.

Was fun. In a Bearscat kinda way. Was pretty greasy with a couple spots right at the beginning we had to walk because of some flooding.

I bobbled a bunch trying to start and stop when I got kicked off line. Ended up snapping the wire for the Boa on my shoe at like mile 5 or 7 or something 🤔

Took my number plate off the bars and used the twisties to sorta close my shoe back together. That worked until the trail along the lake just before the Aid Station. I stood and mashed on the pedals and broke those too. Walked to the Aid Station to see if I could find some course tape or something to tie it together. Eventually I took my saddle bag apart and used the velcro strap to sorta hold it together.

Rode and walked for the remainder of the first lap and figured I didn't want to press my luck during lap2 so I called it there. Good times as always at Wayway. I never expect a good day.

PSX_20210918_151421.jpg

Super fun day on Sunday at the Schilling Ride. Even though I try to avoid Allaire at all costs, once a year is just fine with the right gang.

20210919_095204.jpg

Monday Recovery from the bike, but, deadlifts.

Tuesday back on Rusty for my Commute. Both of my kids are sick so I might be on borrowed time this week.

PSX_20210921_191531.jpg

Steve Vai

Sqweebin' at the Rock this morning...

PSX_20210922_103652.jpg

During the Sqweebin' I realized that I completely forgot this bike was filled with flood water when my basement filled up. The pivots were so much F'ed and the drivetrain made a racket. Luckily a pair of headphones and Infant Annihilator took care of the noise but a full strip down and rebuild was in order.

20210922_151709.jpg

Top Bottom