Going Long and Hard.

Sven Migot

Dude,
You got some competition at Iron Cross...
1658964743106.png

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
One of the Jim Vreelands has another couple weeks before training starts back up so I'd root for the other one.

Steve Vai

NJR1200k, as a Volunteer.

We put on the 1200 this past weekend and I signed up to be Nuetral Support for the whole time. Figured I'd pack the MTB and Vado to get some riding in along the way as Will didn't want me to pull a 90-hour straight through shift.

Friday I rode up to the Warehouse to get the sketchy little shop van. Loaded it with supplies and whatnot. Saturday my first shift was bike check 5-8:30pm in Paramus. Bike Check was not a mechanical check, it was for safety gear, we're not allowed to stop someone from riding due to lack of bike maintenance. But, I saw some shit and knew I'd be busy Sunday Night 🤣

Drove home and was up at 3am for my 2nd shift 4am-6:30am for the Start. Again it was a safety gear check only. After that I drove up to Lake George where I'd work the first Overnight. Even with only 3 hours of sleep I was pretty amped up to ride.

Hit Gurney Lane at like 10am because Lake Geaorge isn't that far. Super fun little place and I tried to kill as much time as possible.

PSX_20220731_120127.jpg

Went to the Hotel to help setup the food room and stay busy. Still had a ton of time so I took the Vado on the bike path to the Lake to hang out.

PSX_20220731_154601.jpg

PSX_20220731_154513.jpg

Just after 5pm the first 2 riders showed up. Paige and her coach who I can't remember his name. Paige is a Pro Gravel racer and absolutely crushed it. Sub-12 hours for 207 miles on the 1st day.

From then on it was kind of a blur. Tons of tire swaps. 1 guy had his couplers back off and his bike almost fell apart en route. 1 good bump and he would've been in the hospital kinda close.

20220731_214147.jpg

20220731_214501.jpg

Last rider came in at 2am or so, and I was off to bed. 1st night we had Volunteer rooms at the Hotel because Paul didn't cancel the bookings after some riders didn't start. Yay!!

First rider were leaving at 3am on now Monday Morning. My next shift wasn't until the Burlington Overnight but...5am there's knocking on my door and the phone is going nuts so I'm up. Ed snapped his seatclamp binder bolt. The clamp part that holds the saddle rails. On a 2009 Cervelo S3. Do I have a replacement he asks? Waht!!? Yeah, no, you're fucked dude. Good luck trying to find that shit after your 2 day train ride home 🤣

I try to go back to sleep but my body doesn't work that way. I layed in bed wide awake until 9am. Everyone else was gone. I'm now working on 2x3 hour sleeps since Saturday Morning.

My brain started to fog over. I took the shorter way towards Burlington and stopped for breakfast, looked at Trailforks for a place to ride for some reason and went there. Cadi Hill? Something like that. Brutal OG rake and ride Vt gnar trails. Also seemed like no one has been there in years as there were down trees everywhere.

20220801_144900.jpg

20220801_155014.jpg

Steve Vai

After Cadi Hill? Codi Hill? I drove up to Burlington for the 2nd overnight stop. The hotel was a bit sketchy as 2/3rds have been converted into some sort of homeless shelter. The hotel next door was 100% shelter so we were in some shit. Weird crackhead types had a camp set up in the grass on the entrance and after the first few riders came in they were cheering and carrying on for each rider. Was cool but none of us wanted to leave the table unattended.

Slow mechanical wise. Just a broken chain.

20220801_195641.jpg

One rider hit a hole and demolished his front wheel, it locked up and he slid off the road and snapped the fork. He had zero scratches somehow.

20220801_190616.jpg

20220801_190605.jpg

20220801_223533.jpg

I stayed up until about 2am and decided to take a nap. We had no extra space so I slept in the van.

20220802_101035.jpg

Sorta woke up sometime after sunrise with a heavy rain on the roof. Len rolled into the lot with sweeper van and had Bill's Velomobile stuffed inside. It was completely destroyed. Bill got hit by a truck just after he left the stop for the day. He was in the hospital with enough injuries to stay for the remainder of the week. He posted pics in the group, they're a little brutal.

20220802_094201.jpg

At this point my shifts were all over, Will didn't have me scheduled for the last overnight. My plan was to hit Stowe and Ben and Jerry's Factory, but it was raining and the Factory Tours were sold out until Friday so...I happily got to miss some super touristy Vermont bullshit and started driving to the 3rd overnight.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
After Cadi Hill? Codi Hill? I drove up to Burlington for the 2nd overnight stop. The hotel was a bit sketchy as 2/3rds have been converted into some sort of homeless shelter. The hotel next door was 100% shelter so we were in some shit. Weird crackhead types had a camp set up in the grass on the entrance and after the first few riders came in they were cheering and carrying on for each rider. Was cool but none of us wanted to leave the table unattended.

Slow mechanical wise. Just a broken chain.

View attachment 192962

One rider hit a hole and demolished his front wheel, it locked up and he slid off the road and snapped the fork. He had zero scratches somehow.

View attachment 192963

View attachment 192964

View attachment 192966
I stayed up until about 2am and decided to take a nap. We had no extra space so I slept in the van.

View attachment 192965

Sorta woke up sometime after sunrise with a heavy rain on the roof. Len rolled into the lot with sweeper van and had Bill's Velomobile stuffed inside. It was completely destroyed. Bill got hit by a truck just after he left the stop for the day. He was in the hospital with enough injuries to stay for the remainder of the week. He posted pics in the group, they're a little brutal.

View attachment 192967

At this point my shifts were all over, Will didn't have me scheduled for the last overnight. My plan was to hit Stowe and Ben and Jerry's Factory, but it was raining and the Factory Tours were sold out until Friday so...I happily got to miss some super touristy Vermont bullshit and started driving to the 3rd overnight.
I was all set to make a crude comment (or three) until I read they got hit by a truck. How f’ing awful.

Steve Vai

Also Sunday...

PSX_20220814_174026.jpg

PSX_20220814_173932.jpg

PSX_20220814_173742.jpg

PSX_20220814_173617.jpg

Off-season is going as planned. I have one more good paddle weekend and then I should probably start riding my bike to get readier for the PA 1,000. Not that it really matters, I'm still maintaining fitness while Kayaking, it's not like I'm sitting on the couch. Well, right now I'm sitting on the couch but I wasn't before this.

Steve Vai

How’s the velomobile guy ? That had to be horrifying not sure if being inside that thing was better or worse getting hit by a truck vs a regular bike. 😖

He just made it back home yesterday or the day before. Multiple surgeries to repair internal damage. He'd be dead if it wasn't for the Velomobile. Scary shit.

Top Bottom