Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
PSX_20220619_135546.jpg

Steve Vai

Wildwood 400k.

Went into this with somewhat of a bad attitude, I'm not a big fan of this route so that kinda set an early mood. I purposely started an hour late, right as the opening Control closed to let me spend time with folks as I went by. Figured that would keep the mood up. And it worked for a while.

Downside, I went through to the front by the 90 mile Control and was riding in a group with some good guys. This was during the most exposed portion of the route and the heat started to hit me pretty hard.

I was skipping pulls and sitting in to keep the effort low but I put in a hard Century to get here so at that point even sitting in felt a bit much. I dropped off the group to spin the legs out.

Caught them at the 200k Control. Caught them at the 150 mile Control. Caught them when they flatted. Caught them at the 185 Control.

Sat outside that Wawa with no shelter from the shade and just baked. Sweating so much I couldn't see what I was doing. I left the group and looked for a shady spot in town to catch a break but it's south jersey and all the trees just burned down so 🥵

Rode off course at mile 195 because I already drank the 2 bottles I just got. Stopped at Atco to see if there was a concession stand but they wouldn't let me in. Called it and started riding towards my father in law's house in Egg Harbor. Thankfully my wife was down visiting him and was able to get me or lord knows where I would've ended up.

Good reminder that July is almost here, and Kayak Adventures begin soon.

strava5880305146828215352.jpg

teabagger11

Wildwood 400k.

Went into this with somewhat of a bad attitude, I'm not a big fan of this route so that kinda set an early mood. I purposely started an hour late, right as the opening Control closed to let me spend time with folks as I went by. Figured that would keep the mood up. And it worked for a while.

Downside, I went through to the front by the 90 mile Control and was riding in a group with some good guys. This was during the most exposed portion of the route and the heat started to hit me pretty hard.

I was skipping pulls and sitting in to keep the effort low but I put in a hard Century to get here so at that point even sitting in felt a bit much. I dropped off the group to spin the legs out.

Caught them at the 200k Control. Caught them at the 150 mile Control. Caught them when they flatted. Caught them at the 185 Control.

Sat outside that Wawa with no shelter from the shade and just baked. Sweating so much I couldn't see what I was doing. I left the group and looked for a shady spot in town to catch a break but it's south jersey and all the trees just burned down so 🥵

Rode off course at mile 195 because I already drank the 2 bottles I just got. Stopped at Atco to see if there was a concession stand but they wouldn't let me in. Called it and started riding towards my father in law's house in Egg Harbor. Thankfully my wife was down visiting him and was able to get me or lord knows where I would've ended up.

Good reminder that July is almost here, and Kayak Adventures begin soon.

View attachment 187512
Still an awesome effort Jim!

Steve Vai

600k setup. Running a bit heavy due to the very limited resupply on course + DNF'ing 200 miles into the 400. First swap is running a 3rd bottle and an extra bag of drink mix. Next swap was to run the legit overnight setup because I'm gonna try to ride straight through. The hotel is not only booked up, but it doesn't provide much in the way of Recovery because there are no stores around it. I'd be better off refilling from my car and riding around the course more and stopping somewhere else if needed. I'm sure Baklava Lady wouldn't mind me sleeping on her porch.

Anywhoo. I need to ensure this one gets done for my PBP registration, I don't want to rely on getting the 1,200k done.

20220708_084917.jpg

20220708_084928.jpg

20220708_084944.jpg

20220708_085028.jpg

JDurk

600k setup. Running a bit heavy due to the very limited resupply on course + DNF'ing 200 miles into the 400. First swap is running a 3rd bottle and an extra bag of drink mix. Next swap was to run the legit overnight setup because I'm gonna try to ride straight through. The hotel is not only booked up, but it doesn't provide much in the way of Recovery because there are no stores around it. I'd be better off refilling from my car and riding around the course more and stopping somewhere else if needed. I'm sure Baklava Lady wouldn't mind me sleeping on her porch.

Anywhoo. I need to ensure this one gets done for my PBP registration, I don't want to rely on getting the 1,200k done.

View attachment 188965

View attachment 188966

View attachment 188967

View attachment 188970
Lack of hotels, stores and that cue sheet looks like you're riding around the Pine Barrens

Steve Vai

East Windsor 600k.

No goals heading into this one except button down a finish for my PBP Registration.

Started last to ride into the field. Chatted it up with everyone as I went through. Stopped to take a couple pics...Sunrise.

PSX_20220709_234529.jpg

Started raining about 8am and rained until 5 or 6 at night. It was perfect. Cool. Only rained hard for a few minutes here and there.

Sky was pretty cool right before Sunset.

PSX_20220709_234448.jpg

And then actual Sunset.

PSX_20220709_234330.jpg

There seemed to be a shit ton of traffic during the night. I felt like I passed by 1,000 cars an hour. All assholes. I rode way way way to the right though a construction zone and ended up getting a flat. Pulled off to fix it and my first Co2 blew up in my hand. Tried to pump it but I unscrewed the valve instead. Rode it flat for a bit in the grass until I could get to a spot with light and see what I was doing. Took my tools out and fixed my valve and used my 2nd Co2. Bingo bango. I was maybe 3 miles from the hotel 🤣

The traffic and flat convinced me to not ride through. I didn't want to deal with Pineys at 3am. I go to book myself and they said $300. I was like "hey, fuck you buddy, I live 20 minutes from here, I'll just drive home and sleep there." So that's what I did. It was just before 11pm so I had plenty of time in the bank. First Timed Control for the 200k loop closed at 1:09 Sunday.

strava8962628708054759939.jpg

Sorta lolly gagged in the morning. Ate a good breakfast and headed back to the Hotel at 7am Sunday. Talked to Mac and Paul for a while before heading off. My shifter was dead. I pulled my tool kit out and swapped the batteries. With all the rain the batteries were rusted and broken. So SS it would be?

PSX_20220710_181340.jpg

At the Whiting Control Mike had a spare battery with him because he also runs AXS. Booyah.

PSX_20220710_181424.jpg

Give the volunteers something to break up the day.

Screenshot_20220710-122716_Chrome.jpg

Started to get hot during that last 50 miles. I stopped at every spot I passed just to stay cool and hydrated. Even with 6 miles to go I stopped because I was out of Water. Worked out because I started going around the 200k loop again after missing a turn. It looked so much like the road to the Hotel I didn't notice for a couple miles.

strava2647854270667984109.jpg

PSX_20220710_181448.jpg

Completed Brevet Card with about 4 hours to spare. I could've lollygagged more. I'm not super looking forward to the 1200k Pre-ride so it's nice to have a 600 in the bank in case it goes bad.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Seems like my AXS batteries don’t last long in the rain either

Steve Vai

They lasted almost 2 years which is longer than I expected. The ones that were dead from the rain were in my spare tool bag, I carry spare batteries for when this happens. Maybe I should leave them in the packaging so they're protected.

onetracker

They lasted almost 2 years which is longer than I expected. The ones that were dead from the rain were in my spare tool bag, I carry spare batteries for when this happens. Maybe I should leave them in the packaging so they're protected.
Maybe a thick ziplock bag too for extra insurance.

jackx

Resupply from Rich at Undrbudr. Thank goodness because I dipped into my last stash of Travel Size Packets this weekend. They are an absolute life saver during monster rides. Or any rides for that matter. Shop Local.
Is the UndrBudr chamois cream really much better than others that you've tried? I appreciate your insight and figure you are one to know having ridden 600k and prepping for 1200k brevets.

Does your shop sell their products or samples, or do you have to order directly from Undrbudr?

Top Bottom