Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
2 things.

1 - PayPal refunded my Mukluk money so now I need to track another one of those down.

2 - It feels great to be back on a Stumpy. It does so many things well. I have it set up in low and the thing just rails. I went down to a 2.3 tire because the Moto Wheels are so good there's unlimited traction. Might as well run a lighter tire so the bike climbs well too.

PSX_20220123_131325.jpg

PSX_20220123_131123.jpg

FYI - seeing Dennis on an S-Works is a trip. I don't remember a time he wasn't on a Fat Bike in the 15+ years we've worked together.

Steve Vai

Next 2 weeks I have to button up my drops and get them mailed out to the various villages. I have enough meals I think, 11 dinners and 16 breakfasts. Figure with some Checkpoint Food and 6 Lodges or so I should be good for 20+ days. If not I can buy food in the Villages.

I'm gonna set my Nutrition in baggies per day so I can make sure to stay on track. I'd like to get 5k per day but I highly doubt I can pack that much. 3 meals is 1,500 calories and 60g of Protein.

I need 1 or 2 small dry bags for my fork to stash my Big Agnes Parka and poofy pants. I bought 8l Big Rivers but they're about twice as big as I need.

I'll do a gear post as I finalize pieces.

Steve Vai

Walking around the house this morning trying to get my 50 Below setup to fog. It doesn't here but I'm sure the whole thing will freeze solid at some point.

Outdoor Research Tundra Aerogel Balaclava.
Lightweight Neck Gaitor.
Outdoor Research Fleece ITI beanie.
Smith Goggles.
Big Agnes Fire Tower Parka.

I also have 2 baselayers and a multitude of lighter shells to get this heavier if need be but generally temps don't get too much lower. Rare years have seen -70 on the Yukon but with Global Warming and all...

PSX_20220126_073918.jpg

Steve Vai

Sleep system ✔️

Big Agnes Bivy.
Thermarest Neo X Therm Pad.
Big Agnes Cinnabar -40 bag.
Big Agnes AXL Air Pillow.
Big Agnes snow tie downs.

20220126_080801.jpg

Splitting the system up this round so I can take my bag into a Checkpoint or use it straight on the snow if it's warm. Bag is in a 35l Big River bag, everything else is in an 8l. Bottle for reference.

20220126_081936.jpg

Steve Vai

How dependent are you on glasses?
You carry a spare pair?
Might even want to tether them so they don't fall off into the snow.

I can't see shit without them. I was gonna get a prescription goggle but I feel like when I'll use them, you won't be able to see anything anyway. I'm planning on putting my regular glasses in a feed bag on the bar so they're easily accessible.

serviceguy

It might be. I'm going to get new glasses before I leave so I can see where I shit.
Don't forget a good headlamp too, LOL. I just realized that given the current temperature, every time I walk the dog in the backyard to do her business I'm basically training for ITI, do you think I have any chance for an invitation say in 2030-2035?

Have you ever got ass frostbites? In theory should be an instant cure for hemorrhoids, but I'm not 100% sure...

Top Bottom