Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
So after getting 4 flats during the Longest Day, with normal tubes and Rubino Pro 28 tires, the Rapides are not going to work. I had them on the first week I had this SL7 and got 12 or 14 flats in 7 rides. They're too stiff or something for NJ or my riding style or whatever the case may be.

The CLX50 is generally my wheel of choice but I've now broken 2 sets of those, along with a pair of C38s and CLX32s.

I currently have a 5 day trip to the BRP planned this week so I need to come up with a solution quickly. If I were alone I'd throw slicks and gears on Stormy but I'm riding in a group and will definitely get dropped, especially with 10k of climbing per century.

I have a pair of Crests that might work with 32c tires.

Steve Vai

Amazingly, this works.

Crest Mk3s with 32c GP5000TL. I have a couple XX1 groups kicking around so I'll run a road mullet 1x for the Blue Ridge climbs.

20210620_205451.jpg

mfennell

So after getting 4 flats during the Longest Day, with normal tubes and Rubino Pro 28 tires, the Rapides are not going to work. I had them on the first week I had this SL7 and got 12 or 14 flats in 7 rides. They're too stiff or something for NJ or my riding style or whatever the case may be.

there was speculation that the Rapides were supposed to be tubeless but must have failed some kind of internal test so they pivoted to "not tubeless because LIGHTER!!". According to this article, very early builds even came with valve stems.

Steve Vai

there was speculation that the Rapides were supposed to be tubeless but must have failed some kind of internal test so they pivoted to "not tubeless because LIGHTER!!". According to this article, very early builds even came with valve stems.

I've had this discussion with the rep already. Easily the biggest blunder in the Industry right now. The rear is a rebranded CLX50 and is 100% tubeless. The front will set up tubeless but they claim the rim is so stiff the tire will unseat while cornering.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I've had this discussion with the rep already. Easily the biggest blunder in the Industry right now. The rear is a rebranded CLX50 and is 100% tubeless. The front will set up tubeless but they claim the rim is so stiff the tire will unseat while cornering.
Considering all the PO's that were cancelled for bikes at the beginning of the pandemic, this is nowhere near the biggest blunder in the industry.

Steve Vai

So this happened sort of by accident.

20210621_192110.jpg

Chris dropped off all of his 2021 trials bikes for me to strip and rebuild to his specs. I stripped 4 Fireballs for paint and he ended up giving me all the stock parts. At the same time a random P.3 frameset just came into the shop so, for like an extremely limited amount of dollars, park bike. And the stock orange Mongoose parts actually match.

serviceguy

So this happened sort of by accident.

View attachment 160219

Chris dropped off all of his 2021 trials bikes for me to strip and rebuild to his specs. I stripped 4 Fireballs for paint and he ended up giving me all the stock parts. At the same time a random P.3 frameset just came into the shop so, for like an extremely limited amount of dollars, park bike. And the stock orange Mongoose parts actually match.
You mean Chris Akrigg? Didn’t he move to GT ? :shrug:

Steve Vai

You mean Chris Akrigg? Didn’t he move to GT ? :shrug:

Chris Clark. It's all the same company. Chris is technically a Schwinn rider so he takes the other Chris's signature Mongoose Fireball and has it painted in the Schwinn Team Colors while the other Chris strips it and paints it to look like a GT. I'm not a Chris, so I took Chris's parts off Chris's Signature bike and put them on a Specialized.

mwlikesbikes

Chris Clark. It's all the same company. Chris is technically a Schwinn rider so he takes the other Chris's signature Mongoose Fireball and has it painted in the Schwinn Team Colors while the other Chris strips it and paints it to look like a GT. I'm not a Chris, so I took Chris's parts off Chris's Signature bike and put them on a Specialized.
Are you gonna send the picture to Sinyard to piss him off?

Steve Vai

Are you gonna send the picture to Sinyard to piss him off?

I'm currently on their shit list. Apparently you're not supposed to save the parts from Warranty wheels until you have a pile big enough to start building new wheels out of them. It's a huge waste to just dump this shit. We had a Tarmac come in with a scratch on a spoke and they're like, cut the wheels apart and throw them in the garbage, we'll send out a new set. I'm like, fuck you, I'll Sharpie this scratch out and ride these fuckers.

Top Bottom