Going Long and Hard.

Nice setup. I saw that clip on Z-Packs. I'm trying to get the bladder/bottles off my body and onto the bike for a bikepacking trip. Ideally, looking for a 1l Pepsi bottle (very light) with a wider opening and thread compatibility with the BeeFree, directly or via an adaptor. I might try 1l Smartwater bottles and using the Z-Packs bottle holders for shoulder straps (16 gr vs 102 gr of the Revelate Mountain Feed bags), adapting those to hang from the handlebar & stem. The form factor of those might too tall/skinny though.
No room in the frame bag for a bladder? I would run an extended hose with the winter sleeve and valve cover to keep dirt out of the system. Clean cockpit and nothing on the back is heaven.

Unlike the Sawyer which plays nice with smart water bottles, the 42mm threads on the be free limit the options. For deep backwoods stuff i use the bladder for overnights and transfer to a ‘clean’ bottle for drinking, for day hikes i use the regular bottle with a clip i got from z-packs and just hang it from the shoulder straps of my pack.

View attachment 159428
View attachment 159429

What type of hiking are we talking about? For a 3-4 hours in the wood I maybe carrying a small bottle of water or my osprey hip pack with 1.5l bladder. I ain’t drinking no stinking deer pissed in water unless I’m dying after a week lost in the woods! BTW I am planning to get some Aquamira water filtration system, but I believe it works only with bladder type hydration system, it’s an in-line filter, so may not be of any use here unless used with a funnel to fill a regular bottle...

No room in the frame bag for a bladder? I would run an extended hose with the winter sleeve and valve cover to keep dirt out of the system. Clean cockpit and nothing on the back is heaven.
Little room on this frame bag (FS bike). I won't know for sure until I get the bag (on order). I did ran a 4 L MSR bladder on the frame bag of my HT for 3 long trips (normally filled to 2.5-3L). I liked that the weight of that was right on top of the BB. However, trying to bring the water from down there to my mouth while riding, climbing/tired and at altitude, almost made me pass out a few times. Especially when you're trying to get the last of the water, as you have to shrink/compress the bladder to get that. I hate that feeling of gasping for air :) A guy I know has a the same system but with a hose with a pump from Hydrapack that pressurizes the system and "squirts" water when you squeeze it. Really nice but I don't want the extra weight :)

What type of hiking are we talking about? For a 3-4 hours in the wood I maybe carrying a small bottle of water or my osprey hip pack with 1.5l bladder. I ain’t drinking no stinking deer pissed in water unless I’m dying after a week lost in the woods! BTW I am planning to get some Aquamira water filtration system, but I believe it works only with bladder type hydration system, it’s an in-line filter, so may not be of any use here unless used with a funnel to fill a regular bottle...
Any time I’m out alone on less traveled trails for more than hour I have it with me. Doesn’t mean I’ll need to use it, but just in case. I’ve spent too much time off the grid alone to not bring a few survival basics with me (Fire, Water, Navigation, etc,)

Let me save you a little time…. The Katadyn BeFree is what you want. It’s the only acceptable filter in a time sensitive situation.
Interesting concept, as I've never had water needs and time sensitivity. I prefer high-volume (2.5l/min) pump purification, but I can certainly see the space limitations of a frame bag.

Let me save you a little time…. The Katadyn BeFree is what you want. It’s the only acceptable filter in a time sensitive situation.

Yep. Packs up tiny and flow rate is so much better than the squeeze (don't even think about the mini or micro Sawyers). Used it on the AT this week and slowed down a little after filtering some gnarly puddle water at a summit but never stopped working.

I'm thinking about getting this one. I use a Sawyer and hate it. Not a fan of the 1 l Katadyn flex bottle. Do you happen to know of any bottles that fit the BeFree? I couldn't any, or any adaptors ready to buy. There a couple of files online so you can 3Dprint one but I don't have access to one of those.

They don't thread onto normal water bottles unfortunately, it's a 42mm thread. CNOC Vecto but that thing is massive and not conducive to riding. Their bags are made by Hydrapack so those may work if they're better for you. Katadyn usually will replace their bags for you if they start to leak which is cool.

If you have access to a 3D printer this is an option:

Yep. Packs up tiny and flow rate is so much better than the squeeze (don't even think about the mini or micro Sawyers). Used it on the AT this week and slowed down a little after filtering some gnarly puddle water at a summit but never stopped working.

They don't thread onto normal water bottles unfortunately, it's a 42mm thread. CNOC Vecto but that thing is massive and not conducive to riding. Their bags are made by Hydrapack so those may work if they're better for you. Katadyn usually will replace their bags for you if they start to leak which is cool.

If you have access to a 3D printer this is an option:

Hydrapack has a 1L flexible bottle that you can thread on the BeeFree, but it weighs 7X the weight of a 1L water bottle. Part of it is the cap/valve & loop. I'm inclining for taking 2 1L water bottles on Revelate Mountain feeds and use Aquamira tabs. The other option is a UD vest with a 2L Hydrapack bladder that I'm using now. OK, but complicated to refill and sanitize water as everything gets mixed up.

Yep, that's the adapter I saw. It would be interesting to try it.

20210617_113746.jpg

ABS for bikes? Drive train and suspension already take advantage of electronics. Brakes will do too, at some point.

Went to prep my Tarmac for Longest Day and realized I broke all of my Rovals. Last time I rode the 50s was Cranbury so not sure what happened there that I didn't realize.

20210617_192348.jpg

Went to swap everything onto my 38s, no dice.

20210617_132032.jpg

Went through our pile of Warranty wheels at the shop to see if I could make something happen. We had a Rapide 50 rim, so I quickly laced up a wheelset to hold me over until I can get replacements.

20210617_192419.jpg

I could swap my 303s onto this bike if really needed but I'd rather keep them on my Stormchaser.

Went to prep my Tarmac for Longest Day and realized I broke all of my Rovals. Last time I rode the 50s was Cranbury so not sure what happened there that I didn't realize.

View attachment 160004

Went to swap everything onto my 38s, no dice.

View attachment 160005

Went through our pile of Warranty wheels at the shop to see if I could make something happen. We had a Rapide 50 rim, so I quickly laced up a wheelset to hold me over until I can get replacements.

View attachment 160006

I could swap my 303s onto this bike if really needed but I'd ratheAdamantiumr keep them on my Stormchaser.
I’m beginning to think you might need Adamantium rims…… just say’n. 🙃

I’m beginning to think you might need Adamantium rims…… just say’n. 🙃

I get Zipp wheels fo' free when they become available but I have to run Rovals on my Tarmac because of our Specialized Dealer thing. I had CL50s on my SL6 for like 2 years with no issues, so I suspect there's a quality control problem as these companies try to pump out record level product with no employees.

Anywhoo...it's ready. I modified my bottle ejection system with an actual bike packing strap so hopefully it works? I don't plan on running at record pace so I'll make 2 stops. Might be good to skip Browns Mills because it gets sketchier every year and bike theft has gone up like a billion %

20210618_090849.jpg

20210618_090900.jpg

20210618_090935.jpg

I get Zipp wheels fo' free when they become available but I have to run Rovals on my Tarmac because of our Specialized Dealer thing. I had CL50s on my SL6 for like 2 years with no issues, so I suspect there's a quality control problem as these companies try to pump out record level product with no employees.

Anywhoo...it's ready. I modified my bottle ejection system with an actual bike packing strap so hopefully it works? I don't plan on running at record pace so I'll make 2 stops. Might be good to skip Browns Mills because it gets sketchier every year and bike theft has gone up like a billion %

View attachment 160009

View attachment 160010

View attachment 160011

If you're going TT bars, why don't you go front hydration? That at least solves the ejector issue.

Back
Top Bottom