Going Long and Hard.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Next month when I do all of the Delaware I'll think about combining the 2. Just adds another level of logistics.
trayak3.jpg

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Can you please start drinking beer and become a slob so I can attempt to ride with you?
I am kidding about the slob part... but you know where I am getting at ?

Last edited:

mfennell

This is all next-level crazy. My friends and I did 70 yesterday, except for the guy who peeled off down by the Manasquan Reservoir because "I've been doing a century every weekend - catch you guys later". 70 was Jims warmup.

Looking at @jimvreeland nutrition reminds me how bad I am about it on rides over 2 hours. Yesterday, I split a bottle of gatorade between two bottles and choked down a granola bar at about 2hrs in. 270 calories in on a 2000kJ ride is not a recipe for a strong finish. I have real trouble chewing and swallowing while riding because my nose is always stuffed up.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
This is all next-level crazy. My friends and I did 70 yesterday, except for the guy who peeled off down by the Manasquan Reservoir because "I've been doing a century every weekend - catch you guys later". 70 was Jims warmup.

Looking at @jimvreeland nutrition reminds me how bad I am about it on rides over 2 hours. Yesterday, I split a bottle of gatorade between two bottles and choked down a granola bar at about 2hrs in. 270 calories in on a 2000kJ ride is not a recipe for a strong finish. I have real trouble chewing and swallowing while riding because my nose is always stuffed up.

I've started using Half Evil333 this year and it's made a big difference. Full strength is 333 Calories per bottle, and each bar or snack is 100. Ends up being about 250 calories per hour which is the sweet spot for me. If I stop I'll take in like 1,000 calories in 1 shot to compensate for the loss.

iman29

I've started using Half Evil333 this year and it's made a big difference. Full strength is 333 Calories per bottle, and each bar or snack is 100. Ends up being about 250 calories per hour which is the sweet spot for me. If I stop I'll take in like 1,000 calories in 1 shot to compensate for the loss.
interesting... i do pretty well on long road rides solo (70+ miles) during this COVID period by combining things like Cliff block chewies, fig bars/cliff bars and then on water stops i might have some real food like a Dunkin donuts egg/avocado power sandwich. I checked the Carborocket site but I only see the powder but not the tabs/caplets. might want to try a sample if you have a link to order. thanks.

**nevermind - sold out right now**
1592837855374.png

Steve Vai

Boat weekend.

Saturday.

Started with a warm-up paddle out of Johnson Park down the Raritan.

IMG_20200627_163637_698.jpg

Got caught going against the tide and had a thunder storm roll in so I dipped out after 3 hours.

IMG_20200627_163637_702.jpg

Sunday.

Loaded up for a more proper adventure. Started at Old Bridge Waterfront Park. First spot I hit was a little rock in Cliffwood Beach that called Seagull Island growing up. Spent many a day after school swimming out to this spot and hanging out.

IMG_20200628_185512_862.jpg

Headed through Keyport into Matawan Creek to spot #2 - The dock where the real-life Jaws attacks happened.

IMG_20200628_185512_860.jpg

Back out into the bay, under the Keansburg Pier followed by a snack stop on the beach. Was pretty jet skiery through here.

IMG_20200628_185512_863.jpg

IMG_20200628_185512_858.jpg

Next I was aiming at Atlantic Highlands, but the Navy Base is in the way. I thought you could just go under but, uh, no. I did float right up to the base without getting yelled at though.

20200628_151924.jpg

I stayed right along the base and paddled straight out towards the end. Almost at the end there was a spot to dip under the road to the other side. It was super sketchy and not legal, kinda a prerequisite for my adventures.

IMG_20200628_185512_887.jpg

At that point my hands were getting blistery so headed back along the base into Middletown and got out at the boat ramp.

Went to QuickStop for recovery snacks.

IMG_20200628_185512_889.jpg

8-hours. Good times.

1593383916079_0_strava7753609885726689700.jpg

Steve Vai

Today's the day. I recieved my invitation to the ITI.

Being one of the Athletes hand-picked by the Promoter to compete in the hardest race on earth is pretty surreal. This is what we've been working towards all these years. Hard, hard, hard years. Relentless forward movement.

20200629_200452.jpg

20200629_200420.jpg

20200629_200520.jpg

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Today's the day. I recieved my invitation to the ITI.

Being one of the Athletes hand-picked by the Promoter to compete in the hardest race on earth is pretty surreal. This is what we've been working towards all these years. Hard, hard, hard years. Relentless forward movement.
Nice work man.

Top Bottom