Going Long and Hard.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Very observant, is that the connex link @jimvreeland ? Any reason for using that one?

Sram 12 speed link.

CH1077.jpg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
1/18

Took Fatty McStretchy Balls out for a nice all the surfaces ride. Started snowing pretty hard while I was in Keyport and I didn't have enough things to commit to a full day Adventure so I turned around there. Was the right amount of adventure.

IMG_20200118_152903_908.jpg
IMG_20200118_152903_909.jpg
IMG_20200118_152903_910.jpg
20200118_124942.jpg
20200118_125358.jpg
IMG_20200118_152903_924.jpg

4:17 total - 177.5lbs.

I bought a new fancy scale that does all the things so I'm gonna set that up and these results may vary.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
1/18

Took Fatty McStretchy Balls out for a nice all the surfaces ride. Started snowing pretty hard while I was in Keyport and I didn't have enough things to commit to a full day Adventure so I turned around there. Was the right amount of adventure.

View attachment 116662View attachment 116663View attachment 116664View attachment 116665View attachment 116666View attachment 116667

4:17 total - 177.5lbs.

I bought a new fancy scale that does all the things so I'm gonna set that up and these results may vary.
Is it one of those ones with percent body fat and such. If so, drink a shit ton of water when you need a morale boost.

Steve Vai

Here. I just set it up. It has numbers and shit. No idea what it means, but there it is. I'm going to assume the goal is to lose fat mass whilst retaining muscle mass. Obviously.

Screenshot_20200118-204019_Chrome.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
me thinks your legs are confusing the scale....seems you'd be approaching sub-15% body fat? cause i'm around the number you have up there.

Visit Bill Kemmerer at Fit Body in bridgewater and get measured on his fancy scale. it breaks it down to arms/legs/core -

Cool thing about the bike - it looks "normal" from the JVAngle. Proportions seem right other than the chain. but who looks at that?

Steve Vai

1/19

Taking the day to do my Wendigo prep. Going through the gear list and seeing how I want to mount everything to the new whip. I can run all the gear in the bike once I get the new bags, but for now I mounted my little rear rack and will strap my sleep system to that like I've been doing. Rest is pretty simple. Gonna run my tiny stove as it's just a requirement and I won't use it. Will also store my spare calories there, which is another absurd requirement.

P Tec light on the bars. Battery pack in the feed bag, standard. Empty second feedbag for snacks as I go through town. Second fork bag for layers. Empty frame bag if it comes in. I have a ton of shee-ot.

20200119_104714.jpg
20200119_115734.jpg

Also did my hour in the gym, doing gym things.

PSX_20200119_124807.jpg

20200119_124129.jpg

176.8 this morning, shit's gettin' real.

Screenshot_20200119-111824_Chrome.jpg

This scale has an "Athlete Mode" and I switched it to that, so we'll see if anything changes tomorrow morning.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well, you've seen the Rutgers Football Team right?

Lol... you have no idea. Too many times.

For real though. It would be interesting to get some scans and keep track. Just because you don’t drop weight doesn’t mean you aren’t stronger. And this actually proves that with science and shit.

Steve Vai

Lol... you have no idea. Too many times.

For real though. It would be interesting to get some scans and keep track. Just because you don’t drop weight doesn’t mean you aren’t stronger. And this actually proves that with science and shit.

Yeah. A basic set of weights will let you know if you're stronger or not though. Adaptation is measured in increased reps or increased weight at the same reps. If you look at my gym routine the numbers go up and then back down, that's an increase in rep, followed by an increase in weight so there's some measurable advancement. Although these aren't cycling related, I still use an old fashioned Power Meter and HR Monitor for bike fitness.

Steve Vai

No frame bag but all required gear is mounted to the bike. Feedbag #2 is empty as is the Top Tube bag. Other than tucking a spare jacket somewhere, I can race this as is if needed.

20200119_210435.jpg

I ran the Salsa bags on the rear of the fork because I feel like it's faster somehow by being more aero. Don't ask. If nothing else, it looks cooler because peasants have to run them out front.

20200119_210508.jpg
20200119_210519.jpg

Some tricks I've figured out along the way. Running presta valve rings behind the cage for strap room, and running cut road tubes to tuck excess strap so it doesn't flap around.

20200119_210531.jpg

Salsa EXP roll in the rear with a -20 Big Agnes bag in it. Bivy is in the fork with my stove on the right, pad and spare 800 calorie requirement on the other leg.

20200119_210553.jpg

Front end, sans pogies for now. Because I hate them and they're useless in NJ.

Set up is surprisingly light but I won't really know how much better or worse it is until race day.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Seems like this setup would give you a lot more control than the old “load up the front end“ setup. Definitely looks better. Did I read this right that you can run everything in the new bags? Is the new rear bag a custom shaped dry bag or do you just put the sleeping bag in a dry bag, in the bag. Oof, that was a clumsy sentence. ?

Steve Vai

Seems like this setup would give you a lot more control than the old “load up the front end“ setup. Definitely looks better. Did I read this right that you can run everything in the new bags? Is the new rear bag a custom shaped dry bag or do you just put the sleeping bag in a dry bag, in the bag. Oof, that was a clumsy sentence. ?

For a race like this, I would just put the bag in there because I don't plan on actually using it. The requirement only calls for a 0 degree so they roll up about half of what my -20 does. You know, I should see what that looks like. BRB.

Here's the same amount of gear on the S Works.

20200120_070734.jpg

Top Bottom