Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
20191014_090011.jpg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
unPaved.

Is a dang cool ride. Race? Yeah, maybe if you have the balls to chase Ted King for 200k, uphill, both ways, in dirt. I sat in the front group until about 1/2 way up the first big-data climb. At that point, I realized this was not the group for me. Ted King is fast. Maybe if it were a 600k things would be different.

I took a short stop at the 50 Mile Rest Stop for a cup of soda, 2 little dentist cups of jelly beans, and to refill 1 bottle before heading into the "extra" loop that separated the 120 from the 90.

The extra loop was uh, fun. After a climb it went into what looked like a climb at Ringwood or something. Rocks all over the place. Mountain bike shit. It went up forever. It was tiring to continually pick lines and get a gravel bike through that stuff. But then!! We had to go down all the same kinda shit. Forever down. It was slower than the up. Then, it went on all the shit flat. That was slightly faster, but not by a lot. I was pretty thankful when it finally started going back uphill on normal gravel roads.

I get back around to the same Rest Stop, which is now mile 80. I drink the Red Bull in my drop bag, and swap bottles for the one in my drop, eat 2 more little cups of jelly beans and hit the road.

The climb out of the rest stop seemed to go all the way up the the Chaise. It was pretty long. Not steep or hard, just long.

I get to the Chaise and shoot the shit with Mike. I've been trying to button up a Sponsorship deal with Salsa so, this is how it's done. Get a good foot in with the guy that calls the shots.

The rest of the ride was downhill. Basically 25 miles of down and then flat. The 90 mile loop would've definitely been way too easy so I'm glad I made the right call.

Super well run event, Dave does a great job. Probably the best event on the East Coast. It's easy to see why Gravel has exploded. Compare this to $100 MTB race and it's a no brainer. Tons of swag. Great food. An expo. Awesome rest stops. Raffles for all kinds of poop. Etc...

Top Bottom