Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Buttoned up my last project for Rusty, which was doing a proper lever setup instead of the ghetto Tektro ones I was running in the previous pic. Gutted a pair of Force Carbon shifters and filed the mounts away to make a stoker. Feels 100 times better.

IMG_20190906_192830_647.jpg
20190906_191338.jpg

Also dusted the Timberjack off and Oval'ed it for tomorrow's Schilling Ride. I also borrowed a pair of 29er wheels that I'll run for Iron Cross so the bike is a little faster on the road. Should be fun on the MTB.

20190906_200940.jpg

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why fixie? Just mixing it up a bit to keep cycling fresh, or is there some sort of fitness/training benefit coming out of this?

Steve Vai

Why fixie? Just mixing it up a bit to keep cycling fresh, or is there some sort of fitness/training benefit coming out of this?

I commuted on a Pista for 3 or 4 years before I owned a road bike. Originally it was just to have a winter proof bike and something reliable. Then I went back to commuting SS with a Nature Boy when I started at HB, then I sold that bike and converted Rusty into a fixie. This is actually it's second year as a fixie but I've been commuting mostly on the Fat Bike so it flew under the radar.

And yes, there are HUGE training benefits for me riding fixed. The climbing is just the same as riding SS but being forced to spin on flats and descents creates power in areas I'm usually very weak. I have a big diesel engine and rely on putting out a ton of power at low RPMs (I average 70-75rpm on most rides) Getting up to a normal 90rpm is a huge task. This bike forces that. Tonight I averaged 86rpm during my ride home.

That leg speed translates into the ability to accelerate and follow an attack. Something I have never been great at but can get to a point that I can sorta fake it.

Steve Vai

Kind of remember seeing these back in the day now. Building your own frame must be a satisfying box to check off the list.

It was a lot of fun doing this. I would probably do it again to build an SS Gravel frame. The current industry pickings all sorta suck.

Reactions: rlb
Top Bottom