Going Long and Hard.

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
Sorry, I was in the stoopid Windoze half of my computer!! Here!!

4987_1174029192856_1291834825_479715_8246039_n.jpg

-Jim.

A white saddle and bar tape would be pretty.

BB30 is where it's at son!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Monday...

Scheduled for today was a typical "tempo finish" workout. These are great for simulating a road race, as most of those are rather slow until the last few laps. The object was to ride in Zone 2 and then for the last 30 minutes pick it up to 270-280 watts. Normally this would be a fairly easy ride for me, but with 7 hours on the bike YESTERDAY, I was dreading the tempo block...

Entire workout (210 watts):
Duration: 1:50:12
Work: 1391 kJ
TSS: 131.8 (intensity factor 0.847)
Norm Power: 246
Distance: 35.217 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 915 210 watts
Heart Rate: 65 168 129 bpm
Cadence: 29 183 81 rpm
Speed: 2.2 43.4 19.2 mph

And the block. Some points to this. A) I mis-judged how far out I was, I'm a bit fitter at this point so it took me 10 minutes less to get from Warrenville road across Washington Valley, up Washington Rock, through Dunnellen, and then through P-Way to my crib. B) Rolling down Washington Rock Road brought my average down so I had to push well over 300 watts for a few minutes to bring it back into "zone". The 900 watt effort was after I got stopped by a train and had to once again get my average back up...

Power-Tap #1:
Duration: 20:10
Work: 325 kJ
TSS: 36.3 (intensity factor 1.039)
Norm Power: 301
Distance: 6.982 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 915 269 watts
Heart Rate: 74 168 148 bpm
Cadence: 30 111 81 rpm
Speed: 2.8 43.4 20.8 mph

Day off tomorrow...

-Jim.

RNG1

Been following your thread, why does the bottom 4 elements have 3 different numbers? Did you hit lap or something?

RNG1

Got it, I guess that should have been obvious. At least you know someone is paying attention.

Steve Vai

Tuesday and Wednesday...

Had a scheduled day-off yesterday. Good thing, the cold I've been trying to out run finally outsmarted me. Bastard. I felt fairly-quasi-terrible last night and feel worse this morning. I had a personal veggie pizza for breakfast after I dropped the boys off at school because it required the least amount of effort to make!! I'm gonna stay home and drink Emergen-C until I pee neon. Normally these go through me very fast so I should be good enough for an "actual" endurance pace ride tomorrow.

Ps-Peep the super-ill dope shots from the Highbridge race. SICK!! I'm actually gonna pay the $50 to get the CD. And he doesn't have any silly commercial use disclaimers so I'll be able to use some for my Fisher blog. Not sure why some dudes want $50 for a single-shot on a grassroots site?

www.specimage.com

I'm number 55...

-Jim.

Last edited:

RNG1

Wow great shots, you have quite the lot to choose from. The ones that jumped out for me were 3627 and 4111. Stair shots are cool too but I a remember seeing one of those from last year.
Interesting technique I noticed on the stairs that you seemed to have intentionally taken them on an angle. I guess that does reduce the steepness slightly:hmmm:

Steve Vai

Interesting technique I noticed on the stairs that you seemed to have intentionally taken them on an angle. I guess that does reduce the steepness slightly:hmmm:

There was a 90 degree turn 1/2 way down. I stayed in the "racing line" through the turn. Outside, inside, outside to carry speed. I wish he had video, a couple laps I skidded around the corner, it was fun!!

3900 is my favorite. It seems so out of place:D

-Jim.

Steve Vai

Thursday...

Unintentional day-off:(

Originally had a 3+hour day planned with Freddy. First day of my son being out of school and I went to drop him off with his aunt and she wasn't home. She forgot that started today!! We went back home and chilled until she got home and then I dropped him off on my way to work. No ride. Probably better off being I was sick yesterday, I think someone's trying to tell me I need a little rest:hmmm:

I'll try to get a little volume in the next 2 days just so my legs aren't flat for Sunday, but given the weather forecast, I'm not too sure it'll matter either way:rolleyes:

-Jim.

ArmyOfNone

Well this makes me feel a little bit better. When you didnt answer the phone I thought you were out riding! I was getting ready to chase you down! See ya sunday my man!

Steve Vai

Nope, I was just on the phone with my wife trying to figure out what happened:popcorn:

-Jim.

Steve Vai

Friday...

Back on the bike...Just needed to get the legs rolling again so I took it easy during my commute in...

Entire workout (180 watts):
Duration: 37:23
Work: 405 kJ
TSS: 35.4 (intensity factor 0.754)
Norm Power: 219
Distance: 10.107 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 599 180 watts
Heart Rate: 74 161 131 bpm
Cadence: 34 244 73 rpm
Speed: 2.3 40.9 16.2 mph

After work I hit the swamp with DD, again, just trying to get the legs to come around...I picked up the pace throughout the ride but never spent any extended periods at high effort...

Entire workout (184 watts):
Duration: 2:17:41
Work: 1518 kJ
TSS: 140.9 (intensity factor 0.784)
Norm Power: 227
Distance: 42.358 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 706 184 watts
Heart Rate: 54 166 126 bpm
Cadence: 29 244 80 rpm
Speed: 2.2 37.8 18.4 mph

I'm pretty sure at this point I won't get enough volume in my legs to be competitive this weekend:(

-Jim.

Steve Vai

Saturday...

Light ride into work. Planned on doing my "openers" after work but decided not to ride in the rain instead. It's an off week for me anyways so, whatevah:popcorn:

Besides, they drop 2 races don't they?

Entire workout (179 watts):
Duration: 37:10
Work: 400 kJ
TSS: 35.9 (intensity factor 0.762)
Norm Power: 221
Distance: 10.177 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 444 179 watts
Heart Rate: 67 160 125 bpm
Cadence: 29 126 76 rpm
Speed: 2.3 38.6 16.4 mph

-Jim.

Steve Vai

Darkhorse Gallop...

So did anyone notice the mud? I knew from my first pedal stroke during my pre-ride that A) The legs were a no-show and B) Although I knew it would be fun RIDING in the mud, I wasn't feeling RACING in the mud, again...I fell off pace pretty early on and was bobbling around in the mud like a bitch. Lost my rear brake in the beginning of lap#2 and the front brake through Major Mike on lap#3, leaving me brakeless for 6 miles or so. I was riding pure defense and then caught a slight bit of luck when I came across Keith with a flat on lap3, I stopped and gave him my CO2, then took his spot in 4th place. I almost died riding down the hills toward the end and got passed right before the fire road. I wasn't gonna just let him ride away from me and bridged up to his wheel and waited for the move. He stood up right towards the top of the climb and went for it, I shifted down, gave it a few good pedal strokes to get around him and then buried myself to the line, I took my 4th place back!! Uphill sprint finishes are pretty painful after all that racing:drooling:

Even though I didn't ride nearly as well as I wanted to, the course was a ton of fun and the guys at Darkhorse are by far my favorite promoters. It's also a pretty good sign that I felt terrible, rode super-sketchy, had no brakes, and still managed to stay just off the podium and still in the money:hmmm:

Entire workout (165 bpm):
Duration: 2:14:16
Distance: 22.207 mi
Min Max Avg
Heart Rate: 124 184 165 bpm
Speed: 0 25.8 9.8 mph
4858_1178287139302_1291834825_493755_1034189_n.jpg

-Jim.

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Monday...

Recovery day. No bike, albeit I did spend some time running around the track up the street. I need to start getting some running in for cyclocross season, and in reality, some running fitness isn't gonna hurt if the H2H races keep up the current trend;)

-Jim.

Steve Vai

Some H2H math...

After a quick number crunch, the new top five...

Seabeast-684
*me*-660
Chris LeDonne-636
Keith Licata-588
Ross Anderson-528

There's still plenty of racing to go, I think it's gonna get a LOT harder from here on out. In this class anyone in the top ten has a shot at winning the series overall:getsome:

-Jim.

kush

Good job Jimmy

Attachments

• 2009-06-21 H2H #3 Stewart race_2293.jpg
    2009-06-21 H2H #3 Stewart race_2293.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 357
Top Bottom