jaychallenge

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There are currently no races held at Allaire, but that may change as some people are working on bringing at least 1 race back there.
I say a good place to start if you want to do endurance type racing is to try "The Running of the Dogs". See link for info from last years race:

http://www.teambulldog.com/docs/Flier_2006--Running_of_the_Dogs.pdf

I did this 2 years ago on my ss & must say I had a pretty good time (until I crashed hard on my 5th lap). Two pluses are; it's early in the season to measure your fitness level & it's not to expensive if you want to quit.

Kirt

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Kirt,

I think it's Running of the Dogs, no?

ArmyOfNone,

It depends on what you're looking to get into. If you want to race in one of the H2H races, I would suggest Lewis Morris. But then a lot of people don't like the NORBA stuff. If you're looking for more "organic" races in NJ, I think you have 4 options: Running of the Dogs (April), the 12 Hour Allamuchy (June), 24 Allamuchy (August) and All-A-Muchy (October).

The ROTD Race in April is 2/3/4 hours depending on what you sign up for. The park (KVSP) is not that technical, race early in the year. The 12 hour race is in the "easy" part of Allamuchy, but anything you do for 12 hours...still, that's a good way to introduce? The 24 hour race, as Sean says, may be easier on a team. I would be pretty surprised if you couldn't cobble together 3 other guys from this forum alone to get a team. I did a team last year and solo this year. The 50k is a pretty tough first race.

There are other races in south Jersey and PA/MD/DE if that's actually closer to you - the Mid Atlantic Super Series. Sewell, NJ - wherever that is.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i just tried looking and couldn't find any results for Running of the Dogs. anyone know where they are? i googled and checked usacycling.org

anrothar

entirely thrilled
wow, that's quite a fast group in the senior expert class, name-wise.

as for the eleven laps, i guess....... mmmmmmm....... shaggz.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow, good guess. What's more impressive is that he never left his garage.

ArmyOfNone

Wanna race?

All,

Thanks so much for the info. The running of the dogs seems like a race that i could get into and wouldnt be to far over my head. I think i will plan on making that my first one unless something else crops up. is the 12 hour allamuchy race a team race also? that would be a good way as norm suggests to break myself in for endurance racing. What is there about NORBA that people do not like? where can i find the '07 race listings once they are released? Does anyone have plans on riding these? Ill most likely ride in the beginner class, but it would be great to have some of you great ppls to tag along with.

I know how much Sean liked sourlands...so mayb i can get ya out a bit more so i can get skooled on how to ride technical terrain. I have learned alot from him and brett just in the two rides i have been on with them. Ill also have to make a few trips up your way to seewhat north jersey mtb'n has to offer.

till the race season...i will continue to work to squeeze my way into the middle of all the "mtb superstars" that i ride with. Every weekend is a race, for me atleast.

NJ Jess

NO ROTD in 07

I'm so sorry to report, but I truely doubt the Running of the Dogs will be held in 2007. TeamBulldog received a lot of flack about trail conditions even after we put in 90 hours of TM the 2 weeks after the race.

I also hate to report that there will be no 12 hours of Deer Park either. Same reason as above with even more hours of TM to remedy the trails.

Some of the best race results can be found on bikereg.com, look at the left margin.

You should do the beginner category in the Campmor H2H race series since It's usually one lap. If you improve greatly, you could move up to Sport and take your points with you.

The Mid-Atlantic is a fun series, however, since it isn't always techinical; the racers are very fast. A lot of road racers do the mid atlantic since it isn't techy.

Go to ride424.com and bikereg.com and see what races are already scheduled for 07. A lot of races are posted in February.

Whatever you do, continue with your base miles. Fitness wins more races in the beginner category. Good Luck!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
beginner class is a great place to start. i honestly see you bumping yourself up to sport after 1 or 2 races though. all that riding with fast guys has resulted in you being fairly quick yourself.

i would be more than happy to come back down to sourlands as time permits. might not be till early or mid-january though.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No ROTD and no 12 hour races sucks ass. Those 2 were on my radar this year for certain.

ArmyOfNone

Boo

That really is to bad to hear bout those races. I guess no biggie because It seems there are plenty of races out there.

there is a whole list of ppl that i could credit to kicking my ass week in and week out. Sean you are one of them soo whatever progress i have made thanks.

January is right around the corner, so lets hope the weather stays great so we can keep riding. id also like to get a taste of what you do when the weather isnt so great.

Top Bottom