James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

serviceguy

https://www.espressive.com/

Not sure, but probably in the not too distant future for a 3-day onboarding of sorts.

Wow, congrats. I've been trying to launch self enriched, knowledge base based automated customer support (I guess it may sell as AI?) in all companies I've been working for with no success at all, glad to see somebody actually made it into a business concept and had the guts to run with it. I wish you the best with your new endeavor.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As I am cleaning up my work laptop this week, I came across this. I use this as my work profile picture:

Mayor McCheese.png

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I did day 2 of the KT trip this morning:
https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2019/07/24/2019-fam-to-kt-day-2/

Also last night was about to ride the road bike with D from her work and it started pissing down, so I cut bait and threw the bike on the trainer and did Zwift for an hour. Basement is 72 degrees. Put 3 fans on full bore and I felt amazing. It's unreal how much the heat has an impact on how I feel and ride. This past weekend I was worrying about my overall health, I have to admit. After yesterday, it really strikes me how much the heat suppresses me.

Landing the work dirigible. People are shocked I am leaving. It amazes me how little people understand about so, so many things.

Going to ride the road bike this afternoon at some point. Maybe at noon. I wanted to ride the new MTB but it's probably messy everywhere and I didn't have my shit together. Maybe tomorrow.

Tonight I am going to the CR TM around 5:00 and will start chopping out roots. If you join me at 5:00, I'll give you a free MTBNJ water bottle. And 1 of these, which were on the porch when I woke up:

MTBNJ.png

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
- I liked your KT writeup just for the fact that I have absolutely no navigational skills and will probably steal your day #1 ride for when I'm there in a few weeks as I always liked riding your day #1 ride.
- I lasted 10 minutes on the trainer the other day. I don't know how you do it. I'm jealous.

Dominique

Team MTBNJ Halter's
- I liked your KT writeup just for the fact that I have absolutely no navigational skills and will probably steal your day #1 ride for when I'm there in a few weeks as I always liked riding your day #1 ride.
- I lasted 10 minutes on the trainer the other day. I don't know how you do it. I'm jealous.

I would add piggyback down after going hogback up the first time. We skipped it because we were meeting Utah to go to Moose Haven, but I would definitely do it before (or after) sidewinder.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
3rd day of KT here:
https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2019/07/25/2019-fam-to-kt-day-3/

That is all for travel for at least the next 8 days. At least. I hope. Actually IDK what's going on this weekend. We were awakened by a bat in the bedroom at 5am this morning...wait, no scratch that. I was awakened by @Dominique who was awakened by a bat. I would probably just be getting up now because I'm tired from yesterday. The stupid f'ing mouse with wings probably could have bit me 20 times and I would have slept through it. Anyway, we're going to let animal control take care of that and all the little assholes in the attic.

Before any of you complain about us removing the bats like last time, please show up with your check books and offer to write the $500-$3000 rabies vaccine shot per person, multiplied by 5. I can live with more mosquitoes in the world at that price point.

Anyway, we may be traveling again tonight if our house is not livable.

Went to CR last night for TM. Wow, blown away by how bad it is there. This is going to take months to clean up. But we'll get there. I had lined up some work at RV but now I am going to put all efforts into CR for the remainder of the year. It's going to take a while but I am optimistic the trails will be better on the other side. It's just going to take a lot of work. If you're interested in helping, let me know.

2 hour road ride yesterday plus another almost 2 hours of TM, where I hacked away roots much of that time. So yeah, F Bats.

80boK2t.jpg

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I did day 2 of the KT trip this morning:
https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2019/07/24/2019-fam-to-kt-day-2/

Also last night was about to ride the road bike with D from her work and it started pissing down, so I cut bait and threw the bike on the trainer and did Zwift for an hour. Basement is 72 degrees. Put 3 fans on full bore and I felt amazing. It's unreal how much the heat has an impact on how I feel and ride. This past weekend I was worrying about my overall health, I have to admit. After yesterday, it really strikes me how much the heat suppresses me.

Landing the work dirigible. People are shocked I am leaving. It amazes me how little people understand about so, so many things.

Going to ride the road bike this afternoon at some point. Maybe at noon. I wanted to ride the new MTB but it's probably messy everywhere and I didn't have my shit together. Maybe tomorrow.

Tonight I am going to the CR TM around 5:00 and will start chopping out roots. If you join me at 5:00, I'll give you a free MTBNJ water bottle. And 1 of these, which were on the porch when I woke up:

View attachment 100701
oh sweet....you did get a picture of bob in the trailer.....I think he and allison were simultaneously explaining how allison went inside on that switchback and flipped
psBpf5F.jpg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
17 days later, and I'm going to try to blog again. It's Sunday night, but I'll post this in the morning. As it pertains to the title of this thread, it's not dead, it's just resting. As mentioned earlier, I've been putting content in the travel blog. I admit I haven't been super productive these days. I mean, it's summer. Things slow down. Well, ok maybe not entirely. They slow down, a little

As you know, I started a new job this past week. The first week was 3 days in NYC which is a big hole, as you well know. So 3 days, something along the lines of 11 hours of travel in & out of the city. I took the ferry in which was cooler, but more expensive. After a day & change, I confirmed that I don't miss the city. You know what I miss about being home? The ability to lay down and just space out for 15 minutes. I love my couch, especially when I need it.

The office is one of these WeWork places, which is pretty cool. I'll have an office but I'll never go in, nor will I really need to unless we have a client meeting, which will never happen in the office. It will likely be more useful when I'm traveling. Apparently you can jump into any WeWork place in the country if there's space. Pretty useful. I'll need to go back in to get the card and such, at which point @rottin' and I plan on hooking up for lunch. Maybe @jmanic too if he's not busy trying to take back money from @Pearl.

On Saturday @Dominique and I are going to San Francisco again, and I'll be in Santa Clara through Thursday next week. She's going to stay until late Tuesday then redeye home for work Wednesday. The corporate HQ is in Santa Clara, very close to where the 49ers play it turns out.

On the bike, I've just been riding. For better or worse I have had to squeeze some rides in on Zwift. Still working out the logistics of the new job. We're back in a startup so I can't blow off 4-5 hours of my day on a whim anymore. That's still TBD.

Gotta write-up the blog for Lake Placid, which we did last weekend. I'm also going to do a post about NYC, and working in it. For those of you who were not around, I put the old Magic Day post up this morning:
https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2019/08/12/the-magic-day/

Next 3 weekends are Santa Clara, Cranks, then Quebec, which I'm really looking forward to. Also, pretty much putting cross on the shelf for the time being. Just too many things going on to worry about that right now. Plus, motivation on that line is pretty low. Things change, so who knows. But right now I'm mostly interested in riding my new bike, which I love. In fact, we'll be at it tonight, at CR. Join us if you so desire.

Ok, see you in like 18 days or something.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
14 days, the spacing frequency has gone up!

Many things have transpired since the last time we spoke. I finally got around to writing the 2 Lake Placid posts:

Day 1: https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2019/08/03/lake-placid-2019-day-1/
Day 2: https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2019/08/04/lake-placid-2019-day-2/

The trails up there are solid. I'm loving the new bike but I do not see finding time to write a review on it anytime soon. Maybe @jShort can give us his thoughts since we now own the same bike again. Man I have to say I am loving this thing.

Back up 10 or so days ago, we went out to California for 6 days. Well I was 6, D was 4. We did 2 days of San Francisco then 4 days of Santa Clara. I'll get posts up about that but I'm not sure how long this will take. I am not exactly rife with free time with the new job. I'm enjoying this, working for a company that is motivated again. I'm not sure I'll be comfortable sitting in a big org again any time soon. I get too antsy and I dislike my routine if I work in a big company where nothing ever gets done and your coworkers are not motivated to do much. Some people can adapt, but I know this is not good for me.

I got home last Thursday night, then went into Hoboken for a meeting with Ernst & Young. I have to say some of these offices are pretty sweet these days.

Then last weekend we did Cranks but just 1 night. The idea of coming home Friday then driving up & setting up camp in the dark seemed silly. So we slept in our own bed, which was nice. The weekend was nice, got to hang out with our friends and ride bikes, and burn things. Hard to beat that. I don't think I'll do a blog on that because it'll take too long for me to get to it.

We were supposed to go to Montreal-Quebec-Kingdom on a ~5 day weekend but Alex & Mark can't swing it, so we're reassessing plans. I think we are taking Friday off still to ride bikes. And then ride bikes Saturday and Sunday and Monday too. @UtahJoe may make us pie.

sAwRgAG.jpg

After that school starts. The summer is winding down, which is what it is. Kids are back, we had all 3 in the house at the same time today which was a first in 3+ weeks. School is back next week. September is always madness.

The next 5 weekends:

Labor Day - 4 days off of biking
Then Zac kicks off September with a 2-day soccer tournament
Weekend after that we have decided to forgo Nittany and do the NICA Leaders Summit
Next to last weekend her parents come to town
And we wrap up September with a team gathering at Lucky on Saturday and the Jorba festival Sunday

There's a non-zero chance I have to get on a plane the day after the Jorba festival and go to Las Vegas but I don't know where that stands now. There is also some chance I go to Tennessee in the next 2 months. I would say Tennessee is more likely than Vegas but who knows. And my boss told me I can go out to HQ in Santa Clara as much as I like. I think I'll be out there again before the end of the year.

Many things, not enough time. Need to make sure I ride my bike enough, which I admit I have not been doing enough.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm loving the new bike but I do not see finding time to write a review on it anytime soon. Maybe @jShort can give us his thoughts since we now own the same bike again.

I’ve only ridden it twice....because life. I got the SRAM build with the 50t eagle, so mine may be a hair heavier but with a little more gear. Still, identical bikes otherwise. The first ride at Nassau was hard to judge. The bike is fine there, but this weekend cranks ride seemed like what the bike was made for.
I’ve only ridden candyass one other time, and it was solo after 18 miles at mooch in the middle of the winter and all I remember is thinking, f this trail. I probably walked half and barely cleared the other half. But on Sunday, I was able to handle that trail with ease. I only dabbed when I got too close to the guy in front and he stepped off. Otherwise I think I would have cleared everything.
Everything else at mooch was really easy on the new bike, except that “V” drop on Rollie... I got off there because I was paranoid about ripping off my derailleur. I think If I saw someone else’s line, it would have been easy.

You can tell this bike gets its roots from XC but none of the little drops or rollers were sketchy. The head angle wasn’t too steep and wasn’t too slack anywhere else. I’m used to a 100mm XC bike with 32mm stanchions, so this 130m travel with 34mm stanchions is much more confidence inspiring.

And for a 30lb bike, it climbs really well. I don’t think I used the 50t once on the ride but its nice to have if I need it.

Top Bottom