James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

Today

...the kids were off school. I suspected this would be the case after the repots came in. As the day went on and we saw the carnage, I figured they would be off tomorrow as well. Sure enough, I got an email in the afternoon that verified this - after a single day of school, they would now be off for 6 days straight. Tough start to the new school year.

Covid test came back negative for all of us so we are free & clear to make big moves.

Went to Hilltop to collect Simon's bike, which Jim was not able to make new again. The fork has seen too much rain and is rusted dead. The bike itself looks in decent shape and once we get the new fork on there, he should be good to go through next year on this. I also spent way too much time trying to get D's old Scalpel back into working form. This is the one Julia taco'ed the front wheel at Killington. I found a wheel but neither of the 2 tires I tried to mount worked. I threw a tube in and called it a day. Now Simon has a bike for the short-term future.

Decided to take the dog with us this weekend because our sitters bailed at the last moment. The sitters would be my parents. And the reason being that they had a tree fall on the house. So they are somewhat preoccupied. This is nothing compared to Carson's Dee, whose mom had her house blow up in Somerville last night during the storm. This was so massive is shook our house at 11:30 at night. I had gone outside to see if something fell. Turns out that nope, it was a house exploding.

You read correctly. Her house blew up. You can donate to that fund here.

Went for a road ride tonight to do some sightseeing. The carnage is impressive but nothing compared to many of the pictures we have seen. Chimney Rock Road is indeed in a bad state.

This is orange from Gilbride. There is a new trail there that was effectively created by a rock landslide.

ZrySqAK.jpg

Thank you, @Norm and @rottin' for being so generous. Susan, Dee's mom, literally got out with the clothes she was wearing and the dog.

EDIT: and Joy, Glenn, and Patrick, too.

Last edited:
This is crazy, I went down to see this house as its a block away from where I'm working. Thanks be to God for Dee's moms safety.

Today

...we drove to Canada. It was a beautiful day, and while it would have been nice to be outside, it was a nice day to drive. The border was such a non-issue, it was kind of refreshing. I think it took us 15 minutes in total to get through, including the wait in line. Traffic outside Montreal on a Friday evening is awful. So that is what it is. We are here now.

No bikes were ridden today.

D's dad was sitting at the dinner table when we got there. We all came in, said hi, and ate dinner together. While he is not the same guy he was 2 years ago, he's really doing great compared to mid-June. He seemed very happy to see us all. It was kinda nice to be all together again and see him back at the head of the table.

We are back in Tremblant for the first time since Xmas 2019.

sohQ7dn.jpg

In reverse order-
Glad to hear about Opa, and glad you are able to be with him.

@Carson glad Dee’s mom is okay

@Contractors- painters just arrived this past week for a quote we got in December.
it’s a good time to have a trade.

Today

...we rode mountain bikes in Canada. We have hit that point where we can all go on the same ride. Philippe, Alexi, D, Simon, Zac, and myself. We all did the same ride today and it was a fun set of trails up here. A lot has changed in the 3 years since I have ridden up here. Lots of forward movement. It really helps to have a local guide though. My BIL knows the place inside & out so puts together great loops.

Then we walked the cottage property which was a 2.5 mile loop with the pup. Man if we lived up here we would have such a killer backyard set of trails.

Today's blog post is here.
Yesterday is here.

I would say that blog post from today is the better read of the 2, since yesterday was really just driving. That is a pretty good cross-section of what we do here. If nothing else, the pictures give you a good idea what it's like here right now.

WEc1af8.jpg

Today

...we rode bikes again even though the weather was predicted to be a rainout. We got an hour of different trails in before the rain came. But that was an hour more than expected.

We celebrated my FIL's birthday tonight with a big family dinner of steak and poutine. Simon and I insisted we double the poutine order and it's a good thing, because we all eradicated it. Plus we had chocolate cake.

Today's blog can be found here for those wishing for more words than above.

r6R7O0O.jpg

Today

...we hiked up the big hill. Blog post can be found here.

Second day in a row we got rained on in the last 2 minutes of the outdoor endeavor. The weekend had rain forecast for Sunday & Monday but in the end, we managed to squeeze in thing both days, in addition to Saturday which was beautiful.

This morning we woke up with 13 people here and now we are down to 8.

This is our album cover. So much going on here.

KVpjTwc.jpg

Today

...we drove home from Canada. We had a last breakfast with Opa and to me this morning, and I remarked that he was more himself from a speech/mental perspective than he was the day I got there. The previous 4 days he was there, but in a sort of mechanical, not super happy about things, kind of way. This morning he was more animated, more talkative, and some of the "Opa mannerisms" were there that I had not seen previous to this. I think this family trip was good for him, and I think he really showed progress over the weekend.

The drive was 9:20 to 5:40 with a stop for gas/lunch just across the border. This drive is really long. Then you get home and you have to unpack the car, clean up, and cook dinner. Then walk the dog. Going up is a lot easier because things just happen. Here you need to do it all yourself. Also, I think it was 35 degrees warmer when I got out of the car at home. The weather was mint there.

I think I am also going to drop my riding goals from 10 hours a week to 8 a week starting now. I was thinking about this for 2022 because I think that riding is starting to take away from other things I should be doing. A week ago those other things would be walking the dog at CR in the mornings, or starting to lift weights. Now I am going to add putting in more time with CR TM to that list. Given what the park was hit with, I told Kirt I would commit 2 mornings a week to take the dog out and do what I can with some of my days. In some respect, that has to squeeze the riding time somewhere. I think this is a good event to trigger that.

My rear tire was flat again today, It holds at 40 PSI still bit not 20. So I drop it to go for a ride and it's ok, but the next day is flat again. When I got home I put in 2 bottles of Stans and jacked it up to 40 again. Eventually I think this will hold, I just need enough Stans glue in there. The rim is dented in 2 places I think.

Also brought a dehumidifier into the basement as there is a distinct musty smell now. This is a first and I expect it will not last long. It's just a remnant from the mess of last week.

Reality is now about back. Oh and that hike yesterday combined with the sitting int he car today was murder on my legs. Holy shit I am so stiff.

I have no pics today. Facebook memory from 2 years ago shows we built a fire:

70553436_10219228172231098_1834311129745063936_n.jpg

Today

...we drove home from Canada. We had a last breakfast with Opa and to me this morning, and I remarked that he was more himself from a speech/mental perspective than he was the day I got there. The previous 4 days he was there, but in a sort of mechanical, not super happy about things, kind of way. This morning he was more animated, more talkative, and some of the "Opa mannerisms" were there that I had not seen previous to this. I think this family trip was good for him, and I think he really showed progress over the weekend.

The drive was 9:20 to 5:40 with a stop for gas/lunch just across the border. This drive is really long. Then you get home and you have to unpack the car, clean up, and cook dinner. Then walk the dog. Going up is a lot easier because things just happen. Here you need to do it all yourself. Also, I think it was 35 degrees warmer when I got out of the car at home. The weather was mint there.

I think I am also going to drop my riding goals from 10 hours a week to 8 a week starting now. I was thinking about this for 2022 because I think that riding is starting to take away from other things I should be doing. A week ago those other things would be walking the dog at CR in the mornings, or starting to lift weights. Now I am going to add putting in more time with CR TM to that list. Given what the park was hit with, I told Kirt I would commit 2 mornings a week to take the dog out and do what I can with some of my days. In some respect, that has to squeeze the riding time somewhere. I think this is a good event to trigger that.

My rear tire was flat again today, It holds at 40 PSI still bit not 20. So I drop it to go for a ride and it's ok, but the next day is flat again. When I got home I put in 2 bottles of Stans and jacked it up to 40 again. Eventually I think this will hold, I just need enough Stans glue in there. The rim is dented in 2 places I think.

Also brought a dehumidifier into the basement as there is a distinct musty smell now. This is a first and I expect it will not last long. It's just a remnant from the mess of last week.

Reality is now about back. Oh and that hike yesterday combined with the sitting int he car today was murder on my legs. Holy shit I am so stiff.

I have no pics today. Facebook memory from 2 years ago shows we built a fire:

Really, really happy for the positive turn of things with FIL/OPA!

Today

I find when this happens, I just need to treat the bike like a road bike and get my air pressure set when I grab the bike. I'm pretty sure my rear tire is full of a gallon of Stan's, yet it's flat the next day and nothing is leaking out.

Also, it's better to have it lose a lot of air and get in the habit of always checking and going out with the right psi, as opposed to losing just a few psi and not realizing until you're riding and slamming the rim or losing traction.

On the wheel…can you pinpoint where the air is leaking from. I tend to use a little more sealant than needed and do several rotation (picture steering wheel movement) and flipping of the wheel (off the bike).

Today

...I went to CR this morning with the dog after I swung by the high school for my taxi run. We did a loop of the ballfield trails then I went up & down the spine to the start where the trail comes in from the field. I had seen some of the pictures and this area by & large is not too bad. But the end of the spine close to the bridge is just this rock landslide that's hard to fathom when you consider this was done by water. Sometimes I wonder how these rocks got to be broken up this way, and when you see the rocks just moved in this massive volume from a storm, it makes more sense. The sheer force of the water is really insane when you see what it can do.

I came home and started this CR thread to chronicle what we'll be doing there. Hopefully I see some subset of you out there in the next few months.

I expected work to suck today but I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually pretty ok. I just started the week today and tomorrow is Thursday. I would like all weeks to be like this.

Ordered a new chain & cassette for Zac's bike. He really did a number on it. I cannot really explain how he did what he did. Picture below. I have never seen that one.

Did a quick road ride tonight in the swamp. It was nice to just ride a flat road the whole time (save for the up & over).

Simon had tryouts for the middle school team. As a 6th grader he is up against the 7th & 8th grade kids. They ended up keeping 21 kids on the roster and it turns out that he made the team. This is really big for him and I think will help his development a bunch. I remember when Zac made the team as a 6th grader. I feel like that was the year he really progressed the most.

rpvlTaa.jpg

Today

...I woke up at 6:00 for the kid's morning bed scraping and it was dark out. There were some heavy clouds overhead, but still, it was dark. I am not against this concept, per se. But it seems a tad early for this. It just took me a bit by surprise.

The work-suck I expected yesterday showed up today.

There's a new trail at KT called Martha's Pines which uses some of the old Pines trail that was closed. Pines was 1 of my favorite trails up there so this is a huge motivator to go back. I expressed to D that we could be there by Friday night. I am 100% game for this ad hoc trip. Combine this with the new trail up on top of Black Bear and I don't see how we can stay home this weekend.

Put new cleats on the road shoes today. I know, wow.

After thinking about this for months I finally lifted weights today. This is something I want to start doing on a semi-regular basis because I think I need to round out my game. I will 100% regret this at some point in the next 2 days. But it felt good today.

Walked to the dog park & back, ended up being out for almost 1:20. No bike ride though. Too much rain today and stuff to do.

Somerset county nailed this one...

0QboH8V.jpg

2 things: Pines was also one of my favorite trails at KT, really disappointing to miss it this year when we were up there...IIRC the last time I actually rode it was behind you on our team trip in 2017? 16? One of the two...might need to check my notebook...

Second thing, that is extremely impressive work on CR Road...When I saw the initial pic last week I thought for sure it would be months to get that fixed, especially here in NJ.

2 things: Pines was also one of my favorite trails at KT, really disappointing to miss it this year when we were up there...IIRC the last time I actually rode it was behind you on our team trip in 2017? 16? One of the two...might need to check my notebook...

Second thing, that is extremely impressive work on CR Road...When I saw the initial pic last week I thought for sure it would be months to get that fixed, especially here in NJ.

Pines was part of the “lost” land so you didn’t miss it, you were shut out!

Agreed on CR road. Super impressed.

Back
Top Bottom