James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
We think we won’t be here after our youngest finishes up school. So that’s about decade. Issue for us - where? Most likely close to where our kids settle. I have been to almost every state multiple times (missing six: Hawaii, Alaska, North Dakota, Louisiana, Alabama, and Oklahoma) for longish stays in most, and most are nice to visit but hard passes on living full time for me. For example, Arkansas.

I guess I have to forbid my kids living in certain states, like Arkansas. Beautiful state, but stay in the area of a city there for a week… you’ll want out.

I like the Pacific Northwest a lot. Maybe my wife and I can jump the border and freeload in B.C. and run out the rest of our time there. Time will tell.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I've always figured Alaska or Maine is where I'd eventually end up, but Western Virginia has been on the new short list.

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Searching for the place that has mountains and water, people prioritizing active lifestyle, good healthcare infrastructure, a degree of intellectualism and culture, advanced culinary offerings, and close to major airport. Two places I have been that fit that so far: Denver area and Seattle area. Problem is that gets very $$$!

JDurk

Searching for the place that has mountains and water, people prioritizing active lifestyle, good healthcare infrastructure, a degree of intellectualism and culture, advanced culinary offerings, and close to major airport. Two places I have been that fit that so far: Denver area and Seattle area. Problem is that gets very $$$!
Sounds similar to what my wife and I are looking for, even if it's only for part of the year. Lake Placid checks a few of those boxes.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Today

I woke up far too early to get my ride in. I had to get Zac up at 7:15 for soccer at 8:00. Then I had an 8:30 start to my calls which went to 11:30. Rain was forecast for late morning and the afternoon looked (thunder storm-ish) poor. And so, I scraped myself out of bed and rode around in circles at East County while listening to my mediocre audiobook. Today is 1 of the few days in July I would have skipped, or maybe ridden inside, if it weren't for the competition.

Work has been a bit much these last few weeks. Enough of that.

Spent some time with the Jorba DevCom crew discussing the Q3 newsletter. I'm actually getting pretty stoked about that.

Brought Julia to Summit to hang out with a friend then dropped down to Acme to grab some snacks to leave in the car in an effort to pre-load the road mobile. Now I'm in Jersey City watching Zac play basketball while I prep some decks for workshops I have to lead next week. Got the confirmation today that the client's office is open, so for the first time in 18 months, I'll be at a client site.

We crushed a roast chicken for dinner. Then Zac slept the whole drive to Jersey City.

1627605774058.png

BCurry

I’ve been telling my wife that I’m retiring to Utah, specifically Southwestern. I think geographically it is a perfect jumping off point to travel throughout the western part of the country.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’ve been telling my wife that I’m retiring to Utah, specifically Southwestern.

St George is high up there on my list of places I might live for a while. It ticks a lot of boxes, though the closest real airport is two hours away. Only other problem is the mormons. The biking and climbing out there is pretty stellar though.

BCurry

St George is high up there on my list of places I might live for a while. It ticks a lot of boxes, though the closest real airport is two hours away. Only other problem is the mormons. The biking and climbing out there is pretty stellar though.
I was telling a friend from Utah I was going to move to St George, he asked me if I liked old people. I laughed and let him know I was planning on being one of them.

serviceguy

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Today

I drove to Vermont instead of working in the morning.
Then I rode my mountain bike instead of working in the afternoon.
Then I talked to my wife, Ken, and my wife again, and I wrote my travel blog post instead of working in the evening.

You can see that here:

Work can wait.

Iqx4sSw.jpg

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Today

I drove to Vermont instead of working in the morning.
Then I rode my mountain bike instead of working in the afternoon.
Then I talked to my wife, Ken, and my wife again, and I wrote my travel blog post instead of working in the evening.

You can see that here:

Work can wait.

Iqx4sSw.jpg
That is a stellar travel blog post!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Today

...I rode Ascutney again but this time with Dave VW. Yet another good day. I wrapped up the 31/31 challenge and for the few of you not following that, I rode over 62 hours this month for an average of just over 2 per day.

I am now back in NJ.

Travel blog post here, more pics than words today:

ZR6OC2d.jpeg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Today

...has been a good day of me doing nothing of significance. It started with me not waking up early. Mostly this is because I didn't have much to wake up for. Nothing epic was planed. I would wake up & go to sleep in the same bed. No people here, no dog, no work, no real responsibilities. It was refreshing to just kind of get up...whenever.

I started reading Darwin's Radio today. I've had this book in my stack for an unknown time period and it came up in a different context this weekend so I picked it up. This book is Science Fiction. I have to say that I've been reading a series of duds lately so I'm hopeful this is good.

Then I saw myself on IG in a Flow State post talking to the VMBA guy.

Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 7.46.19 PM.png

In anticipation of things to come, I needed to do some work today so I set myself a timeout from 9-10 to do my first block.

Then I went outside and worked for 90 minutes on the BATT then to mow sectors 8 & 1 again. I think I can call the lawn fully cut right now but as it's raining currently I'm sure this won't last long. The BATT is coming along and I spend various bits of time doing this & that. I do not have the energy to put in a ton of rock work right now but this is what it needs. My day laborer is not here.

The picture is from the start of the berm. The keen observer will note that...well, we just pointed this thing in the wrong direction a little bit. I'm still not sure how this happened but I've started to flare it out to make the landing wider and to transition better into the berm.

H2ibXwS.jpg

Then I took a shower and ate lunch. Worked another block from 1-2, did some laundry, and started working on the better pair of MTB shoes that I need to drill out the seized cleat bolts. Got 1 shoe done but my cobalt bit ground to a nub on shoe #2 and the local hardware store is not opened today. I should also mention that the previous old-old shoes I fixed should have been throw away a long time ago because they are split on the sides. I have no idea why I save this shit.

Worked on a JORBA mailing, then put together a Trello board for the Q3 newsletter which should start to take shape this week. And then put in my 3rd work block from 5-6. Talked to the wife in there and texted a bunch with KenS about stuff. I will say after this past weekend my affinity for Ascutney went up just a little bit. I want to go back to try Jim's Jam.

Side note: Ascutney is only ~2 hours from my work HQ.

Did some old travel blog work, some blog housekeeping, and ate some odds & ends for dinner because I'm tired of salad and just wasn't hungry enough to make anything substantial. Funny how much less my appetite is when I don't ride for 2 hours.

Now I need to work for one more hour before the end of the night.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Today

...I made my way to Massachusetts. This is where I am right now.

Travel blog post here:

The crux of this is that Rockland County Preserve is pretty awesome and I will definitely be back. In the overall scheme of things, Connecticut now sucks a little bit less than it did when I woke up this morning.

FIL update is that he passed his swallow test today. So, for the first time since the stroke he was able to eat a meal. I can only imagine how wonderful that must feel. This is the last major hurdle in him being transferred from the hospital to the rehab center. This should happen within the week. He is also able to get up and walk by himself. And he can speak a little bit, even if it is difficult for him (note: still has a hole in his throat). Lots and lots of progress in the last 2 weeks. He remains very tired which is something that may linger for a while. But we are seeing much progress in the last 2 weeks.

yhmMJdZ.jpg

serviceguy

Today

...I made my way to Massachusetts. This is where I am right now.

Travel blog post here:

The crux of this is that Rockland County Preserve is pretty awesome and I will definitely be back. In the overall scheme of things, Connecticut now sucks a little bit less than it did when I woke up this morning.

FIL update is that he passed his swallow test today. So, for the first time since the stroke he was able to eat a meal. I can only imagine how wonderful that must feel. This is the last major hurdle in him being transferred from the hospital to the rehab center. This should happen within the week. He is also able to get up and walk by himself. And he can speak a little bit, even if it is difficult for him (note: still has a hole in his throat). Lots and lots of progress in the last 2 weeks. He remains very tired which is something that may linger for a while. But we are seeing much progress in the last 2 weeks.

yhmMJdZ.jpg
I have mixed feelings about this post...great news for the FIL, I know the relief that @Dominique must have experience at the news, really happy for her.

A little disappointed for the grips and off center Garmin placement, but then again the Hope stem kind of saves the day...is that a rental bike?

Top Bottom