James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

On sweaty days, I like that SOS mix. (Only Mango flavor though). It’s probably just salt but it works. When I don’t take it I can definitely feel a difference.

i sweat a ton too, (guys at work refuse to draft me on our rides bc they dont want a shower) My 'solution' is that i walk around with a water bottle in my hand at all times(at work), it certainly helps, but doesnt solve the problem on its own, the electrolytes are the critical part and its HARD to get right, I use the gu tabs in my bottles and then top off hydration after I ride because i physically cannot keep up with the water loss, the electrolyte capsules also help. Take today for example, ~2 hrs elapsed time, 2 of the big camelbak bottles down, still down over 3 lbs of water.

Definitely interested in whats working for you in rebuilding the electrolytes off the bike

Today

...I started the day with an early road ride. Got in something like 33 miles in 2 hours, or thereabouts. Then showered & ate some eggs before the first 9:00 call. It's a great way to start the week, and as I said before it sets up the day with less pressure to figure out where you're going to fit in a ride later. I knew it was going to be brutal today so I opted for this - it was the right choice. By 8:30 the sauna had started.

While I was out there I got a text from my mom that my aunt had died. I haven't seen my aunt in probably over 20 years. And I never had a relationship with her. She's not my mom's sister, but my mom's brother's wife. Even when we did family stuff I never much talked to her. As a kid she always seemed like 80 years old to me, so I guess in a way I was surprised to learn that 40 years later she passed away at the age of 79. It doesn't really bother me, per se. But I worry a little about my parents as they see their peers starting to die.

I decided to cancel the East Burke reservation, because it just didn't feel right. There's something about the idea of going up there solo that doesn't appeal to me. We've built so many great memories there over there years, and it's just not right to go by myself. Now to be clear, if I had business in Lyndon you can bet I would ride the shit out of the trails. But to make a solo trip up just doesn't jive with the way I'm supposed to do it. I'm still going to the VMBA festival to get away. But I'll come back Saturday night and go back for work on Monday.

I'm stuck between this sort of solo house dad thing and the solo traveling biker thing. Both of these have their advantages in terms of ease of function. It's a lot easier to plan your work day when nobody is home. Likewise, it's easier to ride your bike when you just get up & go at whatever whim you want. But there's something inherently missing when you do it all solo. I may have said this before, but I will never be the guy living in a cabin in the woods by himself. I miss having my wife with me.

Finished drilling out the other old mountain bike shoe today so now I have a second set of shoes. I still have 1 more set to drill out, so hopefully I can get a 3rd pair back in the rotation. If I can find replacement plates for these, that would help ensure the shoes last a lot longer.

Also did a lot of work on the LARP project, which I have forgotten the meaning of, but it has something to do with the laundry room. Laundry Asshole Room Project? IDK. Brian will remember.

Just Julia and I tonight, which is +1 above what a Monday would normally be. I made us Impossible burgers for dinner and I have to admit, these were really tasty with a full dress up as shown below. Also quite filling. I can definitely see myself buying this again.

1627342087948.png

Today

...I started the day with an early road ride. Got in something like 33 miles in 2 hours, or thereabouts. Then showered & ate some eggs before the first 9:00 call. It's a great way to start the week, and as I said before it sets up the day with less pressure to figure out where you're going to fit in a ride later. I knew it was going to be brutal today so I opted for this - it was the right choice. By 8:30 the sauna had started.

While I was out there I got a text from my mom that my aunt had died. I haven't seen my aunt in probably over 20 years. And I never had a relationship with her. She's not my mom's sister, but my mom's brother's wife. Even when we did family stuff I never much talked to her. As a kid she always seemed like 80 years old to me, so I guess in a way I was surprised to learn that 40 years later she passed away at the age of 79. It doesn't really bother me, per se. But I worry a little about my parents as they see their peers starting to die.

I decided to cancel the East Burke reservation, because it just didn't feel right. There's something about the idea of going up there solo that doesn't appeal to me. We've built so many great memories there over there years, and it's just not right to go by myself. Now to be clear, if I had business in Lyndon you can bet I would ride the shit out of the trails. But to make a solo trip up just doesn't jive with the way I'm supposed to do it. I'm still going to the VMBA festival to get away. But I'll come back Saturday night and go back for work on Monday.

I'm stuck between this sort of solo house dad thing and the solo traveling biker thing. Both of these have their advantages in terms of ease of function. It's a lot easier to plan your work day when nobody is home. Likewise, it's easier to ride your bike when you just get up & go at whatever whim you want. But there's something inherently missing when you do it all solo. I may have said this before, but I will never be the guy living in a cabin in the woods by himself. I miss having my wife with me.

Finished drilling out the other old mountain bike shoe today so now I have a second set of shoes. I still have 1 more set to drill out, so hopefully I can get a 3rd pair back in the rotation. If I can find replacement plates for these, that would help ensure the shoes last a lot longer.

Also did a lot of work on the LARP project, which I have forgotten the meaning of, but it has something to do with the laundry room. Laundry Asshole Room Project? IDK. Brian will remember.

Just Julia and I tonight, which is +1 above what a Monday would normally be. I made us Impossible burgers for dinner and I have to admit, these were really tasty with a full dress up as shown below. Also quite filling. I can definitely see myself buying this again.

View attachment 163683
Is anyone else curious about the avocado donuts?

Today

...I woke up and soon remembered it's Tuesday. Those of you in the workforce would do well to remember that Tuesday is always the day that the Monday Losers realize the week is 20% over and they haven't done a single thing yet. So there's often a wave of angst that gets universally spread across the world, not unlike cosmic radiation. If you're ready for it, it lessens the annoyance a bit.

At lunch I went for an easy ride, which was going to be a road ride but I hopped on the MTB and tooled around here for a bit. I hit our A line a few times before heading over to East County for some noodling. We knew this was the case but that last tabletop, the BATT, just doesn't work in its current state. You come in so hot and the ramp is so small, it's just not a good flow. After a few iterations of that I did some gravel & dirt over at East County, then the 2 shitty parks across the street, then did more in the backyard to round out the hour. Reality is that the B line rides much better than the A line right now.

P11oeLb.jpg

Tried the new shoes that I resurrected yesterday and they are perfect additions to the shoe rack.

After work I felt the need to work on the BATT because it annoys me. I added 3 loads of dirt to the top and added some clay to the ramp. I also cut off the lip of the ramp because it was too steep for the length, in an effort to make it more of a smooth takeoff. I had to water the clay a bit because it was like powder when I harvested it. So there were no trial runs today. I watered the whole thing in the hopes that it will settle a bit tomorrow. Maybe it'll roll better then but I have to add probably 2-3 more wheelbarrows full of dirt to the end & landing.

I still think the transition may need to be more smooth. Unfortunately I think we need to dig out a bit to the left, which is the downhill slops from Middle Child TableTop and will entail a bit of digging to get right.

Ah7EhMB.jpg

I also mowed sectors 1&2 because the goddamn grass is out of control again this week. I owe Brian an explanation of how I sector out my yard. Instead of words, I give you the following diagram. Outside arrows indicate order of mowing.

zxXpW54.jpg

I also mowed sectors 1&2 because the goddamn grass is out of control again this week. I owe Brian an explanation of how I sector out my yard. Instead of words, I give you the following diagram. Outside arrows indicate order of mowing.

zxXpW54.jpg
I do appreciate the recent influx of diagrams...I feel like I have the beneficiary of a few lately.!

Today

...I did another early ride. As posted on the 31/31 thread, I'm bored of these aimless 2 hour road rides.

I did the "leaver email" for the JORBA mailings which is basically the, "Sorry to see you go, take a survey before you leave." We got some replies already and 4 of 5 said they moved out of state. There's something to be said about people who spend a lot of time outside and leave the state.

At the end of the day I worked on the BATT and the berm following it. I also mowed sectors 3-4-5-6-7 which leaves only #8 left.

Just me and the 2 kids tonight.

I don't feel like writing anymore tonight.

jshUyCP.jpg

There's something to be said about people who spend a lot of time outside and leave the state.

I've ridden a bicycle outside in quite a few states, and I feel like we've got it pretty good here. Most people don't know what they've got until it's gone.

I've ridden a bicycle outside in quite a few states, and I feel like we've got it pretty good here. Most people don't know what they've got until it's gone.

And yet there’s a reasonable chance neither of us live in NJ in 10 years. I don’t disagree with your statement but this isn’t a lifer state. And the vast VAST majority of JORBA members are 40+ years old.

And yet there’s a reasonable chance neither of us live in NJ in 10 years.

That's true, I plan to be a globe trotting millionaire in much less than ten years.

I don’t disagree with your statement but this isn’t a lifer state.

I don't plan to be here forever, but I've been here 40 years - college. I could see myself as a lifer that also spends a lot of time traveling. Though my official residence would be in one of those states that has no income tax.

And the vast VAST majority of JORBA members are 40+ years old.

That describes me, but just barely 😜

i could not live here and still support JORBA at some level.
yacht ain't gunna sail itself. not to mention the helicopter.

I plan to be a globe trotting millionaire in much less than ten years.

I had no idea you played basketball.

Traveling lifer is also a very real option for us. Though that whole free healthcare north of the border gets more and more appealing as I get older and keep crashing. We love Vermont and all but on like a random January Tuesday it probably blows.

Back
Top Bottom