James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
His millennial friend who also works with us told me. But asked me not to say anything.
Does his millennial friend want video game boy to get fired? Not much of a friend of he doesn't remind him of an important meeting.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does his millennial friend want video game boy to get fired? Not much of a friend of he doesn't remind him of an important meeting.

Millennial friend was not in the meeting. I was just venting to Millennial A that Millennial B was pretty much tapped out and he went to find him.

This is work life now.

serviceguy

We are at 18 memberships today. I have started to think a bit longer team and have some bigger ideas in mind.
Ah, the anticipation! What is it, 27 or even 36 members?!?! J/K, couldn't help it, I know, I'm being ignorant since I don't know they type of work you're doing with it...

For the millennial thing...it may have got worse but I remember back in the late '90s when I was running a small IT department that the young 'star' tried to use as an excuse for his being extremely late to work the fact that his friend kept complimenting on his new car and wouldn't let him go...he was 3 hours late, that's a lot of compliments if you ask me (it was a Lancia HF AWD to be honest, but still).

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's

works for my dog

ekuhn

Today

...I am unfortunately losing faith in most of my coworkers. The kid I would have said is the 3rd most important team member missed a meeting today because he was playing video games. I honestly do not know how to process such an astoundingly low level of work ethic. To the people saying they will never go back to the office, I will tell you people like this is why you will.

I did more JORBA work. I have revamped many of the emails & reminders that get sent out. We are at 18 memberships today. I have started to think a bit longer team and have some bigger ideas in mind.

It rained again so I rode inside again. I did part of a race and put out real power for about 33 minutes. I did 295w for 33 minutes. So on the training front that would work out like this:

295w for 33 minutes
Whiteface?
235w for 73 minutes

The Whiteface item is a meeting of those 2 efforts. The higher number is me pulling up, which is more effective & forceful but harder. The lower number is pushing, which is slower but easier to maintain. Any FTP work is going to be push or pull. I am working them both in the last 2 days. The idea would be to get those 2 efforts to be closer and closer. If you average those out you get 275w for 53 minutes, which probably isn't enough for the climb. So more work to do there.

Also walked the dog, who is afraid of the thunder now. He hides under the desk in my office.

9HRiIxp.jpg

1623333366700.png

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Today

...I finished booking the 4 days of AirBnbs for the time leading up to the team KT trip. I'm still trying to figure out where we're riding exactly, but 10 days and 9 nights of mountain biking vacation is now setup. I'm really looking forward to this. I also ordered 2 each DHF & DHRs to mount up before then, because that's a lot of days and mine are starting to look ratty.

Finally got outside on the road bike and connected the Varia. At first I was like, "holy shit this is amazing," but then it kept telling me there were cars coming up my rear end and it got kind of old. I did ride a route that is pretty car-heavy so it won't always be that way. And it works shockingly well. I did an out & back route which I was flying on the way out, then got hammered by a headwind on the way back, which then explained my flying previously.

Finished up the day with a team NICA event where we went to a place called Life Camp out in Pottersville and fixed up like 40 bikes for the kids to use for summer camp. This place is for kids from Newark to come and experience the outdoors instead of being cooped up all summer with little to do. Decent turnout. I am not sure I would trust any of these bikes so much, but I don't think they use them for anything heavy.

SbaSy6P.jpg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Today

...I did little of note on the bike. After 3 days of hard rides plus rain in the afternoon I just spun my legs and watched Borgen, s2e2.

Ok so back to the Millennials. Millennial A, who ratted out Millennial B, pulls a great one today. Now mind you, this kid is half my age plus a few years, so you know not the most experienced kid in the world. But he does well in front of the clients for the most part. We hesitate to give him 2 things at once because he will use project A to explain why he did not get project B work done, and vice versa. This is idiotic of course, because someone will call me up and ask if he's working on project A and I will say no. So he gets caught all the time.

Anyway, today he emails a director complaining about his contact at some org in Portland, Maine. This is a client I used to deal with and they wanted to get it off my plate because it's too small of a project. So a week after they put Millennial A on this, the guy asked for me back. So ok it's been this way for a few months and they have been a bit rough around the edges back-and-forth at times. So let me rewind to the first sentence of this paragraph and rephrase this to give a little more context.

Today he emails a director at the other org complaining about his contact at this org, who the director manages.

So you can imagine how well this plays out. Long story short, I have never seen my boss so much beyond irate before. He was in the car driving home when he called me and I think if Millennial A had stepped into the road he would have ran him over with no reservations. Also, the end of this rainbow has me back on the project for the time being. When the EM asked me to take a look at what Millennial A had documented, let's say it was less than stellar. I had put 23 Stories in the system to capture the work I had done. Millennial A put 1 in, to cover everything he did 2 months ago. Since then he hasn't bothered.

JORBA update on my quest to have 2021 members by the end of the year. Let's just say that if I were a betting man I'd take the under. I have somewhat stopped the bleeding on membership slide, but not entirely, and I have almost 100 sitting in non-renewal that I can't get to. That said the number is crawling upwards and that's a good thing. I'm tying to get Pat in the mix but his merit badge has not been granted just yet. I will say this. If my goal had been to get us to 2000 members within a year, I am well above that pace.

I have no pictures from today so I will go to my Facebook On This Day and bring you this gem:

62496953_10218492651443538_4006839780020060160_n.jpg

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Today

...I did little of note on the bike. After 3 days of hard rides plus rain in the afternoon I just spun my legs and watched Borgen, s2e2.

Ok so back to the Millennials. Millennial A, who ratted out Millennial B, pulls a great one today. Now mind you, this kid is half my age plus a few years, so you know not the most experienced kid in the world. But he does well in front of the clients for the most part. We hesitate to give him 2 things at once because he will use project A to explain why he did not get project B work done, and vice versa. This is idiotic of course, because someone will call me up and ask if he's working on project A and I will say no. So he gets caught all the time.

Anyway, today he emails a director complaining about his contact at some org in Portland, Maine. This is a client I used to deal with and they wanted to get it off my plate because it's too small of a project. So a week after they put Millennial A on this, the guy asked for me back. So ok it's been this way for a few months and they have been a bit rough around the edges back-and-forth at times. So let me rewind to the first sentence of this paragraph and rephrase this to give a little more context.

Today he emails a director at the other org complaining about his contact at this org, who the director manages.

So you can imagine how well this plays out. Long story short, I have never seen my boss so much beyond irate before. He was in the car driving home when he called me and I think if Millennial A had stepped into the road he would have ran him over with no reservations. Also, the end of this rainbow has me back on the project for the time being. When the EM asked me to take a look at what Millennial A had documented, let's say it was less than stellar. I had put 23 Stories in the system to capture the work I had done. Millennial A put 1 in, to cover everything he did 2 months ago. Since then he hasn't bothered.

JORBA update on my quest to have 2021 members by the end of the year. Let's just say that if I were a betting man I'd take the under. I have somewhat stopped the bleeding on membership slide, but not entirely, and I have almost 100 sitting in non-renewal that I can't get to. That said the number is crawling upwards and that's a good thing. I'm tying to get Pat in the mix but his merit badge has not been granted just yet. I will say this. If my goal had been to get us to 2000 members within a year, I am well above that pace.

I have no pictures from today so I will go to my Facebook On This Day and bring you this gem:

62496953_10218492651443538_4006839780020060160_n.jpg
Tell @Mitch I have a sprinkles hat for him! Oh wait, I guess I just did

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Today

...I got to do something they don't teach you about in parenting school. I got to line up all 3 kids on the couch this morning, then tell them their grandfather had a stroke last night and may or may not survive the day. I didn't say it that way exactly, but that was the message. Spoiler alert: This story doesn't end sadly today. The kids, they didn't know what to make of this news, which I understand. My grandmothers both passed when I was in this age range and I don't know that I really got it then.

We all know our parents will pass away one day. But we always hope it's in the future. As we get older and more financially secure, the kids grow up, and we start to have the freedom to do the things we want, these sorts of realities befall us. I woke up at 6:00 this morning to a text from D's sister to call them ASAP. She had sent it at 3:30 as well as called. Since we both had our phones on sleep mode, we didn't hear any of this.

Long story short, D's dad had a few surgeries this morning. Things looked bleak, then seemed less bleak, then slowly the day went by and no bad news had come in. As they say, bad news travels fast. We're in a wait & see mode right now.

Around noon we went for a walk at Watchung Reservation. In times like these we try to find normalcy to make sense of the chaos thrust upon us. The dog, of course, knows no better and needs to walk. Hell, we all needed to walk today. It was nice, and we did a different side of the reservation than the last time we went.

I rode the trainer despite the nice weather in the afternoon, because I didn't want to leave D by herself. We're both fearing that phone call right now. If it comes, I don't want to be an hour away on the road. This is the hardest part of this, that I can't do anything to alleviate her grief. It absolutely crushes me to see her this sad. There's only so much I can do and it breaks my heart to see her this upset.

We both rode the trainer today. This is what we do, I guess - how we cope. I ended up having a great ride today and this is most likely because I dumped all the emotion from the day into it. Biking is a great stress relief but of course pointless in the context of today.

Zac and I worked on the trails today for the first time in a while. Moved into the South Side and are putting together some crazy plans.

I am now going to get in the car and drive to EWR and pick up D's brother who is flying in from Seattle.

ZvxE5Lm.jpg

serviceguy

Today

...I got to do something they don't teach you about in parenting school. I got to line up all 3 kids on the couch this morning, then tell them their grandfather had a stroke last night and may or may not survive the day. I didn't say it that way exactly, but that was the message. Spoiler alert: This story doesn't end sadly today. The kids, they didn't know what to make of this news, which I understand. My grandmothers both passed when I was in this age range and I don't know that I really got it then.

We all know our parents will pass away one day. But we always hope it's in the future. As we get older and more financially secure, the kids grow up, and we start to have the freedom to do the things we want, these sorts of realities befall us. I woke up at 6:00 this morning to a text from D's sister to call them ASAP. She had sent it at 3:30 as well as called. Since we both had our phones on sleep mode, we didn't hear any of this.

Long story short, D's dad had a few surgeries this morning. Things looked bleak, then seemed less bleak, then slowly the day went by and no bad news had come in. As they say, bad news travels fast. We're in a wait & see mode right now.

Around noon we went for a walk at Watchung Reservation. In times like these we try to find normalcy to make sense of the chaos thrust upon us. The dog, of course, knows no better and needs to walk. Hell, we all needed to walk today. It was nice, and we did a different side of the reservation than the last time we went.

I rode the trainer despite the nice weather in the afternoon, because I didn't want to leave D by herself. We're both fearing that phone call right now. If it comes, I don't want to be an hour away on the road. This is the hardest part of this, that I can't do anything to alleviate her grief. It absolutely crushes me to see her this sad. There's only so much I can do and it breaks my heart to see her this upset.

We both rode the trainer today. This is what we do, I guess - how we cope. I ended up having a great ride today and this is most likely because I dumped all the emotion from the day into it. Biking is a great stress relief but of course pointless in the context of today.

Zac and I worked on the trails today for the first time in a while. Moved into the South Side and are putting together some crazy plans.

I am now going to get in the car and drive to EWR and pick up D's brother who is flying in from Seattle.

ZvxE5Lm.jpg
Hopefully he will make a full recovery and @Dominique will be able to put these horrible days behind her. Our thoughts are we you and your family.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Norm and @Dominique I feel your pain and can empathize, so sorry to read about this. I was with Mrs rottin' when she was having a stroke and we (I) didn't realize it was a stroke until so many hours later as at the time she was only 29 yo and didn't really think this was possible. That was 15+ years ago and there are still noticeable deficiencies sometimes...please reach out to discuss if you want to...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Today

...I watched D drive away to Canada with her brother to spend the foreseeable future with her mother & sister. I didn't really watch. That was just poetic license.

I spent a lot of this morning trying to debug the new software we're using for JORBA, and there are just bugs in the base platform. I'm obviously looking to do things to distract me and I found myself hacking away at this again in an effort to debug the automated email issue we're seeing. I figured it out, sort of. But it only sort of worked then broke again. It did not actually send any emails to the members we were targeting.

Zac really wanted to work on the trails again today, so we build the base of the east/southeast/south trails. It's on a pretty good pitch so we're firming up the edge of the trail with rocks, garden edging I found in the dungeon, and wood scraps. We then started building up tabletop #3 as it needs to be 4-5' longer. It's funny that Zac has wanted to work on the trails the last 2 days and I wonder if this is his way of dealing with the chaos of the weekend. In the crazy year of 2020, one of our coping mechanisms was to spend a ton of time outside working on the trails. Funny how this comes up now. I don't know if that's accurate but it's been good to be out there again.

By 3:00 it was me & the dog. The boys went off with their dad and Julia went clothes shopping with her mom. I went to Costco because we need food. And again, a sense of doing something when there's literally nothing I can do. And normalcy.

I wrapped up my day by watching Infinite on the trainer. The movie was ok, a little less than I was expecting based on the plot summary. I needed 2:23 to hit 10 hours for the week and that's what I did. Until we hit some sort of steady-state with D's father I'm not comfortable being out in the world on my bike in case something happens. My butt really hurts from that ride but I was able to keep in touch with D as she headed to the border, and finally got across it. She's at her sister's now for the time being, in Montreal.

Update on my FIL is that there are signs of improvement and there's been some movement which is a positive thing. He's still in an induced coma in an effort to let him heal but they checked his arteries today and they appear ok. And an MRI seems to look ok. Still deep in the forest but there's room for optimism. To all of you who have sent messages here or by text, they are heard, passed on to D, and she really appreciates all the love you guys are showing. Thanks so much.

Picture from the SE corner of the lot. In the distance is the berm exit. You can see the reinforced trail base which will eventually be built up in some fashion. To the lower right of the picture you can see some of what will be coming this summer.

K39Q5UH.jpg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Today

...I woke up by myself in my own house for the first time in longer than I can remember. Well, there was a dog on the bed, which is probably a bad idea. I should make him sleep in his bed tonight, but I was too tired to care last night. For a little fur ball, he takes up a lot of space.

I found it somewhat hard to work efficiently today. I ended up having something like 6 meetings, each of which were 30 minutes long and it was really hard to focus much beyond that. At one point I sat on the previous meeting link for 5 minutes before I realized it was the last meeting and not the current one. I finished up the totals on the team GU order in addition to other distractions like going to get gas, stopping at the hardware store, and going to Acme to get salad dressing. Eventually my quiet house was broken when Zac came home. Not technically our day but I am covering the basketball stuff.

I did a recovery ride of no consequence while watching Borgen. Julia stopped in during the ride to pick something up. She said hi and was on her way.

After my last call I took Zac to Jersey City and his 2 basketball games. There are parts of JC that are upcoming and nice, really well done. The part we drove through tonight was not 1 of them. Of the 2 games, in total 64 minutes, his team led for 63 of them. Unfortunately the first game ended in that 1 minute of the whole night they were not leading. They crushed the 2nd game. So they went 1-1 when they really should have gone 2-0 but this is what the offseason is all about.

Talked to D a few times and we got some sobering news. Rather, not news but a more sobering assessment from the doctor. Without going too much into the details they more or less said to not get our hopes up too much. The immediate threat to his life has passed, which of course is good. But the prospects of recovery are pretty much unknown and this will be a long, long road ahead in a best case scenario. He is still in the induced coma as far as I know, but he is now breathing on his own, which is also good. Otherwise we are still in a wait & see holding pattern right now. Again, thank you all for reaching out and showing support.

1ruMoRW.jpg

Top Bottom