James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So yesterday, 12/21, I hit the goal of 200 pounds. Officially that would be 20 pounds in 81 days. Not bad. I imagine things will start to taper off soon but it's been a good end of year run in that regard. I think I posted this already but it's pretty much been 2 things: not eating after 9:00 and cutting out ice cream. Not the end of the world - easy enough I guess.

I would like to get to 190 in 2021. But that's another year.

I'm also a few hours from 500 for the year on the bike. Usually at this point in the year I have to slam out a ton of hours to make it to the end. No problem this year.

This guy takes up a lot of our time right now:

a23a99f1-5956-4495-aab3-9052303b58b6-jpeg.145886

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I went back to see what my statements and/or resolutions were for 2020, just to sort of have a laugh. But when I look back I have nothing. Well, I said I wanted to do 10,000 pushups which I changed after a few months because it wasn't doing what I wanted to. It doesn't matter why. You don't really care that much.

Looking back at 2020 here are some things:

* I sleep 6.72 hours a day on average
* I did 618 hours of activity
* I rode my bike 510:46 according to Strava
* I rode 7730.9 miles
* I added stretching to my routine, which I started after 10/1
* I woke up on 10/1 at 220 pounds, and woke up on 12/31 at 200 exactly
* I wrote 149 times in 2020 - blog posts here or elsewhere
* I did 173 things in 2020 and 124 social things. I confess that Zoom calls now count as social
* I read 53 books, which includes audiobooks
* I watched 114 movies or complete series, almost entirely on the bike
* I rode 36 distinct places this year, 24 of which were outside NJ

So back in 2019 I wrapped up the year with an assessment - I passed myself. I think it was a strange year, but I would give me a pass again. So whatever either way. Who cares?

For 2021 I don't necessarily have goals so much as a combination of things I want to see happen in 2021. I do not have a formal list, at least not yet. I am still trying to work on it and I want to tack it to my board in the office and keep tabs on how it's going.

Some stuff to think about:

* Go to a Broadway show**
* Go to Canada**
* Have eggs Benedict made for me at a restaurant where I sit down and someone takes my order and neither of us fears dying in a few weeks**
* See 190 pounds, ok maybe 185
* Go to another country not Canada***
* Go to Vermont to mountain bike
* Ride my mountain bike somewhere new
* Ride Vietnam, MA which is next to the office I now work at**
* Eat a great bowl of ramen - this local stuff is passable at best**
* Ride 500 hours again

This is sort of a random list of things. There's other stuff like maybe go skiing, or go to NYC for a day, some work things, but a lot of this ends up being COVID-related so it becomes a mix of goals for 2021 as well as hopes & expectations that things will get back to normal. I turn half a century old this year and I want to take a trip for my birthday. But how do you plan a trip today when you have no idea WTF is possible and not and in what timeframe? You can gamble on things if you like. And we may. But right now the puzzle is sort of unknown right now. Is it 100 pieces and all white? Is it 200 and license plates of 50 states? Who knows.

So I guess if I am making a list of 2021 resolutions, it comes out like this:

1. Hang the fuck on and hope for the best.

Cheers!

** More dependent on the COVID thing but they're still things I want to do or see happen

*** Partially COVID-related

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
But how do you plan a trip today when you have no idea WTF is possible and not and in what timeframe?

Decide where you want to go and just book flights. They are probably still ridiculously cheap. If you end up not being able to go yet, you can change them for free. Book a hotel or airbnb at the last minute if you are able to go. If it's a mountain bike trip, send me the details and make sure there's a couch for me.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jim is right on the flights.

Besides, up your risk factor a bit. While you don't need to hop on an airplane filled with diseased people, you can do a road trip. Just take before/after precautions.

You can totally go somewhere now and safely eat and eggs Benedict where you shouldn't have to worry about dying any more than usual.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Here is a graph of my weight loss over the last 3 months of the year:

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 7.58.49 PM.png

To me, it breaks down into 3 phases:

October - steady decline
November - a bit of a plateau
December - back to steady decline

If I do it by 3 day average it shows more or less the same but that graph overlay looks messy. This also happens to correlate with the following approach to riding:

October - ride as many miles as possible
November - I was aiming specifically for Zwift climbs & the PRs
December - back to max miles

This sort of goes to show that when you start "training" (which you could argue the harder November efforts were) you have a harder time losing weight. That said, I need to keep things interesting to keep the indoor riding from driving me mad.

I think in January my aim is to mix in some actual work with the volume. Volume burns calories. Anyone who trains with power will be able to tell you that constant, moderate efforts actually burn a lot of calories where smaller, higher efforts do not. That said, you do need to mix it up, insanity ensues otherwise.

I did a ride tonight with 2 hard efforts. I got the 2nd best time on the Volcano Climb and set another PR on a flat segment of no consequence. I'll probably try to sprinkle in some races once a week this month.

Boring part done.

TRIPS

From a holistic, family perspective this is how the year tends to shake out. We always need to look at the year through the lens of the kids and the "other" parents.

President's Weekend - not our weekend so likely a non-item for us
Spring break - just confirmed that we have the kids for this. Very possibly a ~10 day Florida road trip for this one
Memorial Day Weekend - for the first time in a while we have the kids but the calendar tells me there is a soccer tournament. Ugh
Summer - this is a huge unknown right now:
* the boys usually go to Toronto for 2 weeks then Montreal for 2
* Julia may go to Taiwan this summer
* sleepaway camp has been brought up for Julia
* typically we will take a 1-2 week vacation as a family
* the last 2 weeks are off the table now due to HS activities (soccer, band)
* we also go to Vermont every summer
Labor Day Weekend - Our weekend but limited due to the activities mentioned above
Teacher's convention - Not our weekend this year
Thanksgiving - this is our weekend with the kids and around my birthday. So this is where the big trip would likely be. In order to do this with the family we would need to take the kids out of school 3 days before Thanksgiving day
Xmas - we go to Canada for some subset of the winter

Right now the only thing we know is that A) we have the kids for spring break and B) it is highly unlikely that we are getting on a plane so C) we are looking at a road trip. Since Florida is free housing, that is an easy target for us. Due to the dog thing, driving is a very likely option for us.

We need to discuss and formalize but this is where our initial thoughts are right now. Beyond that, there's a whole lot of uncertainty.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We are also mapping.
It looks like our big summer swing is the Colorado Wyoming Montana swing. Pretty sure @Patrick did some form of this except baseball were their thing or something. I'm sure 50 million others will book the same trip which is always discouraging when you visit national parks but we are running out of time to do vacations with our kids.

I want to take advantage of the cheap flights now so sending P to Florida to stay with her folks in March while I go to Sedona when she returns :)

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Going forward, can you plot weight loss by 7DMA vaccination rates?
I have a hypothesis I want to check.

And glad to see you are planning trips with Bear in mind.
Right on.

I want to take advantage of the cheap flights
Yup on this.
Looking at Sedona in November.
I might be comfortable in a flying tin can by then.

jackx

Flights are cheap and refundable...not just for COVID-world-ending reasons. Just booked Munich in September. Non-stop R/T on Lufthansa for $675/pp.
Wondering if this means you are going to the BMW Welt for European Delivery. Seems a bit far from Porsche. Munich ist wunderbar!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I drew a timeline with the workouts that you would do in a traditional training program to show D what it sort of breaks down into. I was going to take a picture and post it but it looks like creamed crap so I will post this image of what "creamed crap" comes up with when I search:

Oo1j3u_TIRKdE4awMk84F7uNojXsjcOhJF6xzzoY8uQ.png

I got on the scale yesterday and it was 199. I did the same today and it was 199. I'm happy to be in the 1s, even if it's more than likely I will bounce back & forth a bit. Clothes are fitting better. Still, the time after 9:00 sure does suck some days, especially when I ride late.

The number of variables involved in a week long trip with the kids during school are too numerous to wrap my head around so for now, safe to say that we won't be booking anything with the family in November. You will note that nobody with kids said anything along the lines of how easy it is, and just do it. Add in "other" parents and it's beyond complicated. You gotta understand that every decision we make needs to be vetted and approved by a set of humans we no longer live with. And literally everything we do is a negotiation. Everything.

We've gotten the green light on Florida for spring break so @JimN if you would like to go, looks like it'll be the 24th or 25th of March through Easter Sunday. 11 or 12 days. But I'll warn you there's not a whole lot of fun mtb riding down there. This will be the biggest road trip ever with the family. There is some potential to swing by Asheville for a night on the way down. The exact plan has not been set in stone yet.

I climbed the Alpe tonight and beat my previous best time by 2 minutes. So things are going well.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I drew a timeline with the workouts that you would do in a traditional training program to show D what it sort of breaks down into. I was going to take a picture and post it but it looks like creamed crap so I will post this image of what "creamed crap" comes up with when I search:

Oo1j3u_TIRKdE4awMk84F7uNojXsjcOhJF6xzzoY8uQ.png

I got on the scale yesterday and it was 199. I did the same today and it was 199. I'm happy to be in the 1s, even if it's more than likely I will bounce back & forth a bit. Clothes are fitting better. Still, the time after 9:00 sure does suck some days, especially when I ride late.

The number of variables involved in a week long trip with the kids during school are too numerous to wrap my head around so for now, safe to say that we won't be booking anything with the family in November. You will note that nobody with kids said anything along the lines of how easy it is, and just do it. Add in "other" parents and it's beyond complicated. You gotta understand that every decision we make needs to be vetted and approved by a set of humans we no longer live with. And literally everything we do is a negotiation. Everything.

We've gotten the green light on Florida for spring break so @JimN if you would like to go, looks like it'll be the 24th or 25th of March through Easter Sunday. 11 or 12 days. But I'll warn you there's not a whole lot of fun mtb riding down there. This will be the biggest road trip ever with the family. There is some potential to swing by Asheville for a night on the way down. The exact plan has not been set in stone yet.

I climbed the Alpe tonight and beat my previous best time by 2 minutes. So things are going well.
Asheville is really far from the direct route down to FL...

However, if you do go that way, we'll meet you there, Jim would rather ride there also.

I never really thought about it, but Pisgah would probably be everything Jim loves for a ride.

Top Bottom