James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

will be a faint memory when they start growing up.

Mine is 17 - and while he is socially liberal, he can't reconcile why criminal activity is tolerated.
Looting, rioting, inciting, etc.
He claimed the country is soft! (because of his deep urban roots in south central branchburg.)
The distraction has taken focus off the goal - not sure if that is getting into the college he wants, or winning in NBA2K playground-mode

i understand kids would like a hard answer to questions. that has been their whole school life.
There is probably also a clique thing at school - although they aren't sitting at a lunch table discussing this (might be a good thing)
He got blocked by a few friends on snap-chat for arguing an unpopular view.
----
The news coverage of the results is comical because of all the data. The talking heads are having a hard time keeping up.

Last edited:
As a father of a daughter I cannot imagine voting for this guy. The fact that she's half minority only makes it more-so. In reality, having a conservative government most likely helps the finances of this household. We do well, with 2 professionals here and living well within our means. Less taxes means more money in our bank account. But it's just not the right way to see the world, in my opinion of course.
Thank you for saying this.

I am hopeful people are "just" voting with their wallets, I know my FIL has simply said, red takes less money. But, having coming from an area of PA that is full on Trump Country, I have seen the underlying hatred first hand. At the end of the day, I can reflect knowing I found a way to not be consumed by it.

Usually, I just pick randomly based on a name.

We had six people and had to pick three. Melinda picked hers based on the names, so I asked who she picked and then I picked the other three to cancel her out. People shouldn't be penalized because we don't care enough to research them at all.

It amazes me that in a country of 330 million, these two are who we have to choose between.
Amen. Same as per previous election IMHO. Exactly the type of 'a la carte menu' I thought I escaped when I moved here, boy was I wrong on that one! Turns out the old USofA is trailing Italian history of miserable political failure, so far...
Sadly this is a world we created. We're probably less the 20yrs away from Hunger Games.🤪
True. We (I use the word very loosely, I can't vote) should not tolerate what we blame on the opposite party when is coming from our own.

The problem lies on the road to the top. You don’t rise to the rarified air because you want to do what’s best for the US people. If so, politics would be a volunteer job. With ethics. We are too diverse a nation to even define what’s best. That’s basically what politics has boiled to, are your eyes red or blue in the morning?

Hunger Games it is.

The problem lies on the road to the top. You don’t rise to the rarified air because you want to do what’s best for the US people. If so, politics would be a volunteer job. With ethics. We are too diverse a nation to even define what’s best. That’s basically what politics has boiled to, are your eyes red or blue in the morning?

Hunger Games it is.
Isn't it supposed to be a volunteer job? I know it's far from it but wasn't that the original plan? F'n factions.

Reactions: w_b

Hunger Games it is.
In the utopia that I fantasize about every now and then in my mind, being elected to office should be a burden, not a reward. And obviously limited in time and occurrence. I could never understand how some of these fossils rotten to the core keep staying in office, terms after terms while their constituencies turn to hell.

In the utopia that I fantasize about every now and then in my mind, being elected to office should be a burden, not a reward. And obviously limited in time and occurrence. I could never understand how some of these fossils rotten to the core keep staying in office, terms after terms while their constituencies turn to hell.

just a point. Biden was not in office. His career was over, and he was just an "ordinary" citizen. Dems couldn't produce(er, um, choose) someone better?

i think the last couple elections may have been more about voting against one, rather than for the other.
:(

just a point. Biden was not in office. His career was over, and he was just an "ordinary" citizen. Dems couldn't produce(er, um, choose) someone better?

i think the last couple elections may have been more about voting against one, rather than for the other.
:(
Both very true.

Side 1: While I do not intend to jump into the political discussion any further, I encourage you all to do so. I will not seek any federal injunctions to cease discussion just because I may not like the way it's going. Ok sorry, I said no more politics.

Side 2: While there were winners and losers yesterday (and today) I awoke as the new biggest loser of my own selves in 2020, at 208.

Side 3: Did the original Zwift climb today. Did not hammer it because I just wanted to ride it at a good pace. Ended up 9th of 27 total attempts of this. I have to say I am surprised I have only ridden it 27 times.

Topic: October Movies & Books

I'll be honest that I do not have anything specific to write about today so I'm going to change gears from the last 24 hours and talk about TV and books.

As I spend more time indoors burning calories and going nowhere, it's the time of the year when I spend some quality time with the TV. I really do enjoy television as much as the next guy, but I've moved into the camp where I feel like I'm wasting my life away if I watch too much. This allows me to be a television glutton while I get some exercise. Here's some of what I watched last month...

(movie) Costal Elites. This was mostly entertaining but it was a bit on the heavy-handed side, and I can see why some of the reviews of this were a little harsh. I will say Bette Midler was f*ing fantastic in her skit. From there I think it was a little all over the place. I would say that the title of the show describes the target audience, intended or not. As precise as that might be, it sort of limits the audience.

(series) Fargo seasons 1, 2, & 3. Thanks to @capedoc for pushing me over the edge on this one. Loved the original movie and have been curious about this for a while. Season 1 is excellent, with Billy Bob Thornton doing an amazing job in his role. Season 2 is good, with solid performances by Kirsten Dunst & Ted Danson. Season 3 is decent, with nothing especially notable in terms of performances IMO - ok actually the Brit is pretty good but not as good as Billy Bob. I would highly recommend this one. I will pick up the 4th season when it is all out. They are releasing it weekly.

(series) Schitt's Creek season 6. The finale. We love this show and are sad to see it go. I'm not going to tell anyone anything they don't already know about this. So I'll move on.

(movie) Real Steel. Family-friendly movie about robots that box. Hugh Jackman and probably a bunch of B actors. Worth the watch if its on. But I wouldn't go out my way to see it. Enjoyable.

(series) Breaking Bad season 1. Still waiting for the hook. That is all.

(movie) Unbreakable. This is a slow mover by that guy with the name like Shama-lama-ding-dong - M Night Shamalayan or whatever. Bruce Willis and Samuel L operate in this one, and I think "operate" is the right word here. Pretty solid movie but also pretty slow moving. That's fine by me as action-explosion movies are not my thing. I enjoyed it, though I'm not sure I would say it's a must-see. I will watch the sequel eventually, whatever it's called.

I watched a few more movies, but those will be part of another 50 Movies list I found and am currently working my way through. I am not watching all of them.

(book) Crazed, by Ha Jin. I really enjoyed a different work of his, Waiting. That book was an excellent read but it's been so many years ago I don't recall anything about it. This book was pretty lame in comparison. These Chinese fiction works are often times loaded with a pretty heavy cultural hand that Western readers have trouble relating to. While this was not specifically the case here, I never felt a connection with much that was going on in this story. I feel that Haruki Murakami (yes I know he's Japanese not Chinese) does a much better job making you feel like you care about the characters.

(audiobook) The Splendid and the Vile, by Erik Larson. Disappointing. As excellent as The Devil in the White City was, this was less so. The story is about Churchill and his war between becoming the PM and American joining the war. While it's an interesting story, it doesn't really capture you like Devil does. I found the other work really riveting while this was a story that we have all heard facets of over the years. So in reality, there's not a lot of new, eye-opening material here. Some of this reads like a Victorian drama at times.

Like I said - topic shift. For those of you who read this I would love to hear what 1 movie I should see, what series I should check out, and what book (both paper & audio) I should give a try.

book-to-movie.jpg

Side 1: While I do not intend to jump into the political discussion any further, I encourage you all to do so. I will not seek any federal injunctions to cease discussion just because I may not like the way it's going. Ok sorry, I said no more politics.

Side 2: While there were winners and losers yesterday (and today) I awoke as the new biggest loser of my own selves in 2020, at 208.

Side 3: Did the original Zwift climb today. Did not hammer it because I just wanted to ride it at a good pace. Ended up 9th of 27 total attempts of this. I have to say I am surprised I have only ridden it 27 times.

Topic: October Movies & Books

I'll be honest that I do not have anything specific to write about today so I'm going to change gears from the last 24 hours and talk about TV and books.

As I spend more time indoors burning calories and going nowhere, it's the time of the year when I spend some quality time with the TV. I really do enjoy television as much as the next guy, but I've moved into the camp where I feel like I'm wasting my life away if I watch too much. This allows me to be a television glutton while I get some exercise. Here's some of what I watched last month...

(movie) Costal Elites. This was mostly entertaining but it was a bit on the heavy-handed side, and I can see why some of the reviews of this were a little harsh. I will say Bette Midler was f*ing fantastic in her skit. From there I think it was a little all over the place. I would say that the title of the show describes the target audience, intended or not. As precise as that might be, it sort of limits the audience.

(series) Fargo seasons 1, 2, & 3. Thanks to @capedoc for pushing me over the edge on this one. Loved the original movie and have been curious about this for a while. Season 1 is excellent, with Billy Bob Thornton doing an amazing job in his role. Season 2 is good, with solid performances by Kirsten Dunst & Ted Danson. Season 3 is decent, with nothing especially notable in terms of performances IMO - ok actually the Brit is pretty good but not as good as Billy Bob. I would highly recommend this one. I will pick up the 4th season when it is all out. They are releasing it weekly.

(series) Schitt's Creek season 6. The finale. We love this show and are sad to see it go. I'm not going to tell anyone anything they don't already know about this. So I'll move on.

(movie) Real Steel. Family-friendly movie about robots that box. Hugh Jackman and probably a bunch of B actors. Worth the watch if its on. But I wouldn't go out my way to see it. Enjoyable.

(series) Breaking Bad season 1. Still waiting for the hook. That is all.

(movie) Unbreakable. This is a slow mover by that guy with the name like Shama-lama-ding-dong - M Night Shamalayan or whatever. Bruce Willis and Samuel L operate in this one, and I think "operate" is the right word here. Pretty solid movie but also pretty slow moving. That's fine by me as action-explosion movies are not my thing. I enjoyed it, though I'm not sure I would say it's a must-see. I will watch the sequel eventually, whatever it's called.

I watched a few more movies, but those will be part of another 50 Movies list I found and am currently working my way through. I am not watching all of them.

(book) Crazed, by Ha Jin. I really enjoyed a different work of his, Waiting. That book was an excellent read but it's been so many years ago I don't recall anything about it. This book was pretty lame in comparison. These Chinese fiction works are often times loaded with a pretty heavy cultural hand that Western readers have trouble relating to. While this was not specifically the case here, I never felt a connection with much that was going on in this story. I feel that Haruki Murakami (yes I know he's Japanese not Chinese) does a much better job making you feel like you care about the characters.

(audiobook) The Splendid and the Vile, by Erik Larson. Disappointing. As excellent as The Devil in the White City was, this was less so. The story is about Churchill and his war between becoming the PM and American joining the war. While it's an interesting story, it doesn't really capture you like Devil does. I found the other work really riveting while this was a story that we have all heard facets of over the years. So in reality, there's not a lot of new, eye-opening material here. Some of this reads like a Victorian drama at times.

Like I said - topic shift. For those of you who read this I would love to hear what 1 movie I should see, what series I should check out, and what book (both paper & audio) I should give a try.

book-to-movie.jpg
Any thought on ‘the undoing’ ?

if it is tv time - Boys in the Band. there is a lot going in. might require a couple times through to get it all,
but the first time through is revealing. Emotionally brutal, yet close to home on so many issues.

What class did your daughter compete in marching band? how did they do?
weird year - please let her know it gets better. Traveling, meeting all the band kids from the other schools,
enjoying traveling to the RAC or MetLife to compete - it is awesome. I enjoyed every minute as band parent/crew.
It will be an experience that transcends her time in school. Friends made, and connections to be revealed.

On a personal note - my son quit because he is not dealing well with virtual learning, and finds standing in a field being video'd
playing an instrument uninspiring. I understand, but wish he could have hung in for a few more weeks.

Last edited:
Give queens gamut- Netflix a go, throughly enjoying this.

The other is Ratchet and for those that don't know who nurse Ratchet is, shame on you.

I dont give full endorsement as I am only a couple episodes in each but they got my attention.

ok actually the Brit is pretty good but not as good as Billy Bob.
V.M. Varga...Ugh his teeth are so gross... Took me a few episodes to realize that Emmit and ray Stussy are both played by the same actor.

series) Breaking Bad season 1. Still waiting for the hook. That is all.

Breaking Bad is a slow build but once it gets there it's pretty solid. Megan and I love the spin off Better Call Saul.

Back in 2000 I inadvertently walked in on a film shoot of Unbreakable. If I recall, I think it was Pine Street in Philly. I was just walking to class then saw all the equipment and crew...I looked across the street and was like "Holy shit that's Bruce Fuckin Willis!"

Give queens gamut- Netflix a go, throughly enjoying this.

The other is Ratchet and for those that don't know who nurse Ratchet is, shame on you.

I dont give full endorsement as I am only a couple episodes in each but they got my attention.
Ratched is awesome. A little gruesome at times, but hey, it was mental health care in the 1940s...

Back
Top Bottom