James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

thegock

Usually, when I leave a contract, I make them suffer for at least two months, @Norm.

Gotta school you to step up yo' game.
TIM2 NUTP MVIMG_20200504_201140-01.jpg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Transition: Day 2 (of 26) - Happy Place

Early morning and I find myself in my happy place again. I work on U-turn Tree (newly named) and clean it out for future projects. You can see the area below, with some notes as follows:

* The big tree is U-turn Tree because it's where the U-turn goes around
* The bench is a newish addition, final location TBD
* I burn stuff in the chiminea in the morning when I rake
* Sideshow Bob is off to the right
* That's the swimming pool location

Now that I have the tree area clean, I need to get this pool out of here. This will give us a pretty big canvass to start doing some stuff. We talked it out tonight and it looks like we're going to have edge trais, a crossover jump or structure, and maybe a wooden skinny in there. Lots still to work out.

I finished Seveneves this morning. I enjoyed it in the end. But the book did just sort of end unceremoniously.

1111.jpeg

Ed called and we talked through the onboarding. Nothing earth shattering but we discussed some loose future plans. The org is small, yet financially very stable, which is a huge draw for me. They're also a lot more structured than where I am now and I really look forward to this role, as it gives me a much better opportunity to grow and be challenged. Much more to come, I am sure. Well, until it gets boring then I won't talk about it anymore.

I'm looking forward to more East Coast travel. This flying across the country may sound fun & exciting but it gets old. We were talking about this last night (or this morning) and the idea of getting on a plane and flying to the PST sounds terrible to me right now. A lot of the customers are New England-based, with the furthest one from them in Philly. The company is based outside of Boston.

2222.jpeg

I went for a road ride today, just an hour, as I told Zac we could start working at 2:00. Again, the enthusiasm is great, though when I got back I took a few minutes to rest, and then I got out there at 2:15 he was burning in a brand new trail. In the end, instead of letting him go it alone, I helped and enforced the new process of rake-rocks-sift-shape to make it better from the door. In the end it seems like a bit more work but it's not really, and the results are solid.

The picture above is where we ended today. The turn-berm is where this started, and Zac dug out a dip to land in, then we built a mound of dirt to roll over then it comes towards you in the picture above and gives you a fairly straight drop off of about a foot. This is crossing you over another trail which, at this stage, looks like garbage compared to all the other stuff we've done.

Simon and D came out and were somewhat shocked at what we built in that time. I will say that Zac doesn't shy away from putting in hard work to make this stuff good.

After that he rebuilt the logover from the other day and I added some dirt and visual cues to the berm-jump that starts this run.

3333.jpeg

Meanwhile in Santa Clara, there's a bit of chaos at the news I'm leaving. It turns out that my boss did nothing with my complaints about The Big B, and management is somewhat perplexed that this wasn't addressed. I was asked point blank today if he was a contributing factor of my leaving, and I said yes.

Honestly all this nonsense justifies my decision to move on.

4444.jpeg

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have to admit, I'm somewhat perplexed The Big B issue wasn't addressed either. I thought you and your (former) boss had a better communication system set up...hadn't you been with him on another project with another firm at one point? Why would he not bring up these challenges with the CA crowd when you made it known that this was a problem?

thegock

I have to admit, I'm somewhat perplexed The Big B issue wasn't addressed either. I thought you and your (former) boss had a better communication system set up...hadn't you been with him on another project with another firm at one point? Why would he not bring up these challenges with the CA crowd when you made it known that this was a problem?

Doesn't surprise me at all. There are employees all over the world who are incompetent and remain year after year in client organizations. A few years ago, I witnessed physical sexual harassment by "The Big Z" a widely reviled incompetent, then heard him get loudly reprimanded by the CFO. The Big Z is still there, taking 2 hours lunches and reading the NY Post at his desk at home, no doubt, as of last month.

I can name more than 10 of these that I have seen over two decades. I don't understand it, but I suppose the 99% of the people, who do great work, carry these "others" on their back. It is one of the most frustrating parts of work for me.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Transition: Day 3 (of 26) - The Rain in Spain

@rottin' - the current boss and the former boss are different people. Former boss is still my coworker but we're peers now. That's the guy who was at the wedding with his wife & 2 kids that came in from Chicago. My old boss is the one who brought me in to this org, and he was this close to getting another job 3 weeks ago. He wants out of there as much or more than I do. We both realize it was a mistake learning experience that's now best left in the rear view mirror. Current boss is a guy totally new to me.

Also, to be fair, a guy I met at this job is who brought me into the company that just hired me. So it hasn't been a total miss.

@thegock - I once worked with a guy at NYSE that would literally fall asleep at his desk every day after 2:00. He was probably 1 step from retirement (and the grave) so nobody cared. As a general rule, I don't care if you're incompetent so long as you don't make my life worse. The Big B made my life considerably worse.

But this is soon to be in the past.

IMG_8310.JPG

Instead of raking & burning stuff this morning, I built the wooden ladder you see above. I wasn't able to finish because I ran out of screws. However, as you can see above, it did eventually get finished later in the morning after I ran to the hardware store in town and picked up a 5 pound box (which should last me a while). In between the start & finish was the standard morning of breakfast, waking up people, review school work with Julia, some work meetings, the hardware store, getting milk, and so on.

The ladder will extend the end of the currently active trail and will bring it up atop the middle log of the 3-log log roller (the one that ends with the I-beam). After I get this done we'll move the smallest/starting log and replace it with some sort of wood structure. Because wood structures are cool.

IMG_8312.JPG

But the order of the day today was rain, and it came earlier than I was expecting so I wasn't able to install the ladder. Thus, it sits askew waiting to be implanted properly. This will be a combination of wood grinder, chainsaw, and drill. And more than likely swearing and throwing things.

Towards the end of the afternoon I did a Zwift crit in the Bs and officially came in 10th. At the end of the ride it told me my FTP went up to an even 300w. That seems reasonably solid for an indoor number.

IMG_8311.JPG

Lo and behold when I went outside after the race Zac and Simon had continued the trail work from yesterday and built the berm above. This is by far the best work Zac has done on his own, and I was really stoked to see such a solid first cut. His high side on the left is a tad tight but that's easy to cut down and will give us more free dirt we can use elsewhere in the system.

They built another connecting trail plus 2 more berms at the end. His end of trail is...curious, to say the least. We'll have to review how that works at a later time.

Then the weekend was here.

IMG_8313.JPG

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Transition: Day 4 (of 26) - Miserably Cold

The morning is cold, far too cold to go outside when I wake up. I stick indoors and have espresso, read a bit, fix a drawer in the laundry room, change a light bulb, and do part of one of the learning modules I've been working on. I take it easy this morning because I just don't have it in me to go out in this cold after having worked outside in shorts all week. I'm soft in this regard and I could care less. It'll be warm soon enough.

Later in the morning, I would finally get outside and mow the rest of the lawn so we have a fully mowed lawn for the first time this year I believe. With the weather as it is now, this should last about 4 days. It's ok, I'll listen to my audiobook, which is a new. I started The Goldfinch today. Maybe a bit different than my usual but it's very easy to follow because it is told as a narrative from a single character's perspective.

I think I'm realizing this is what makes it easier to follow. Single character narratives are easier because when you tune out then tune back in, you always know you're in the head of that same character. Objective narratives that switch between scenes & characters are harder in that regard. General statement, since Reamde was super easy to follow and it was not a single narrative voice. Maybe it's just the vocal narrator that makes all the difference here.

IMG_8314.JPG

Later in the morning I spend almost an hour sculpting the ladder bridge into the log. I was going to mostly just slap it on top, but Zac suggested I sink it in so it merges with the log better. I had done this at the end of the boardwalk a bit, but this would prove to be a far, far larger effort. The results would eventually be worth it but we'll get to that.

Wrapped up the first part of the day closing out the learning module then making a salad for lunch.

IMG_8315.JPG

We were supposed to go to Jungle today, then we changed to Stephens when we saw the snow in West Milford, then changed back when @JimN texted me he was there and the conditions were great. But in the end, the cold temps combined with the whipping wind gave us no reason at all to want to leave the house. So we didn't. I hopped on the trainer and did an easy ride for 90 minutes while I wrapped up season 5 of Letterkenny, which may be the best of the 5 thus far. - paging @jmanic. Then I finished up the next-to-last episode of Westworld.

And this guy hung out on the fat block for a while. I saw it earlier this week but wasn't able to get a picture. Rose-breasted grosbeak.

IMG_8327.JPG

D rode after me, and while she did her hour I finished up the ladder bridge woodworking art project, with the results below. The real challenge here is that this will be 2-way at some point. Currently the trail is being built from the bottom coming up to the top, then it transitions onto this log ride. We'll keep going forward with this but at the end of this log we're going to do some more woodwork, which will make the image below 2-way. That means you'll either be able to drop down the ladder or stay left onto the huge segment of the log ride. So Zac was right in that it'll all flow better if we sink the wood into the plane of the log. I dropped 2 boards into the log to help the transition.

All told, the building plus the installation probably took 3 hours of time. But the result is pretty solid, and to be honest, this was pretty fun. There's a 4x4 that you can't see supporting the top of the ladder on the right corner. The 2 footers are also buried in the dirt so this thing is about as stable as you can get short of adding cement.

IMG_8332.JPG

After the rides & work we showered up then went to Shop Rite to pick up some lobster on sale. We were still chowing down on this while the weekly Saturday night Zoom call started.

And that's a wrap for our Saturday. Even though it was cold is was a pretty solid day.

IMG_8333.JPG

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That ladder bridge onto log reminds me of something you'd see at Millstone trails. Maybe you can find some granite boulders to add to the back yard trails, we can put them in the back of Utah's truck and drive them over.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Transition: Day 5 (of 26) - Happy Mother's Day

Wake up today feeling like I drank a 12 pack last night - these allergies are rough right now. Thankfully, since I no longer drink, the feeling doesn't last too long. After I get some espresso and breakfast and more espresso in me, I do the morning walkthrough of the grounds (we need a name for this) as well as watering Iggy's grass and the tree we transplanted a week ago. I slept in today so my morning walkthrough is pretty short. I rake a small patch of trail that I want to regrade, knowing I won't have time to do it today. I guess it's sort of like picking up a baseball bat and swinging it just because it feels good to do so.

The morning is breakfast in bed for D, as the boys show up around 9:30 and we hang out for a little bit. Mid-morning, we go outside and work on the trails because Zac follows me on Instagram and sees everything I post. He goes out and works on his trail a little bit while I decide to put in the effort to get this damn pool out of the way. Zac then joins me and we put in a huge effort on U-Turn Tree, and we groom the right side of the picture below and build a roller. I also cut a small bit of trail to connect the entrance to this trail.

This is turning into another main run and it's getting pretty close to being a full circuit. The right side runs into a log pile that rolls into the berm-jump, to another roller, to the new drop, to Zac's newest trail. Then it rolls into Outer Banks and up the table top and merges into the end of the Boardwalk and up onto the tree. This is where we currently are in the forward progress.

The below pic is the Swimming Pool - unofficial name.

IMG_8334.JPG

After lunch we went to Nassau and I'll be damned if they haven't added some great stuff here. After some initial hesitation I did hit the big drop and the doubles after that are just so damn well built. That new trail is incredibly fun. They've also spent a lot of time rebuilding a lot of the jumps in the park and so much of this flows far better than ever. We ended up spending an hour on Springside alone. A really great day to be out on the mountain bike.

Came home and moved 2 trees so we can properly roll out the trail Zac's been working on, right before the transition to Outer Banks.

Word from Zac is that we're going to need to add a few more boards to the ladder-to-log transition. The log is super narrow after the planks. I suspect I may plank the whole length of it to the next project, which is going to be a different wood structure of some sort. Because wood.

Zac hits the new jump:

IMG_8335.JPG

Stopped at Acme on the way home and grabbed some salmon, which we ate while talking to D's family, the new Sunday tradition. Did an evening walkthrough and watered the grass and the tree. Tomorrow this will be grass and 3 trees. I do feel better about moving the trees as opposed to just cutting them down. But damn this is a lot of work.

Called my mom for the second time and then did some non-outside busy work in the house before calling it a night.

IMG_8336.JPG

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I do the morning walkthrough of the grounds (we need a name for this)

In the spirit of continuous improvement discussed earlier in this thread, maybe this is appropriate? You have most likely been through it at some of the orgs you have been through as I have in mine...it can be applied to this morning endeavor...Gemba?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Transition: Day 6 (of 26) - Just a Monday

Can we go with Gumby Walk?

Woke up and had an espresso before my Gumby Walk this morning. I like the concept, @rottin' but I'm going to fudge the name a bit and go with the @pooriggy influence here. I think he would approve. Today ended up being a boring day on the trails front. I spent the morning leveling off the bench so you can sit and not feel like it's going to tip you forward. That said, after I looked at the logistics of the chiminea placement I realized there's a tree branch above it. I really want to avoid burning that tree down. This is U-Turn Tree, by the way.

IMG_8337.JPG

I used the day to clean stuff up. No grunt workers boys here today so I took the chance to clean up things a bit. I think I've mentioned this before, but now and again I need to spend a chunk of day removing the messes we make. I started a fire to deal with the mounds and mounds of brush and wood we had lying around. I also filled up 2 garbage cans with swimming pool liner and put them out at the curb. I think we're maybe 4 more cans away from having it gone entirely.

Here's the bench in front of U-Turn Tree. I think this general area will be known as The Swimming Hole.

IMG_8340.JPG

Finished up the fire and drove to CR to do an hour there before the sky opened up and I ran away. Was looking for 90 minutes but the weather went from 60 and clear to 45 and pissing - have to say the weather right now is batshit. I got to the car just as it started to open up. Trails were in pretty good shape, a little mud but nothing crazy. It wasn't as overgrown as I was expecting, but it probably won't take long for it to get to that point.

IMG_8341.JPG

Built the first of 5 Adirondack chairs that D had bought me last fall. Pretty easy to put together but we need to stain it with something. I'll try to build 1 per day this week and then we'll stain them all at the same time. Maybe this weekend. Maybe I'll let Simon do it.

Also started building a kicker jump tonight. This is all experimental. Not sure if this is going to work exactly. I'm still working this out. I kinda know where I want to put this but I have to dig up a stretch of trail to level it out in addition to getting some dirt to build up one of the mounds Zac and I built last week.

In all today was just a Monday.

IMG_8342.JPG

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Transition: Day 7 (of 26) - Kicker Time!

Ok, today I just face the facts that I'm not going to work anymore unless someone asks me a specific question. It's remarkable how much better my day was because of this.

The Gumby Walk this morning is pretty quick. I know what I'm going to work on today so I do a quick passthrough after I water the grass and the trees. The first tree is probably close to being able to handle itself. I may start watering it just once a day to see how that goes. I don't stay outside too long because as pretty as the morning is, it's cold. The Allergy Tax is also really high right now. So I need to choose wisely when I spend time outside.

I go back in the house and finish up the first part of my daily homework, which is the self-inflicted learning I've taken up. I'm really trying to be diligent about re-engaging my brain and I think it's been good so far. But you know, let's not go overboard here. I've hardly taken on a massive load when I'm half done for the day by 8:00 am. In general I find it's better for my brain if I do this early, but it's also a great time to be outside as it's so quiet and peaceful.

After breakfast with D I go outside for 1.5 hours and work on a berm that's been bugging me for a while. The berm itself is ok, though these things can always use some work. It's the exit that's really bothered me. The low point of the berm's base didn't flow smoothly into the trail. Instead, it rose up a solid 3" and kind of killed the flow a bit. I wanted to groom this trail, cut the bed of it down to make it level, and use that dirt in other parts of the park. Yes I said "park."

I added the dirt to the 4-way jump (and soon to be landing) at one of the intersections. This needs a name.

Below you can see how the berm exits now. Nice and smooth transition.

IMG_8345.JPG

All the while I do this, I listen to The Goldfinch in 1 ear. This book is really, really good.

Late morning @rottin' stops by for his GU order. We kept our distance which is just kind of weird, right? I wanted to ask you in for a cup of coffee but I guess we're not allowed to do that sort of thing anymore. I feel bad as a human being but I guess this is life now.

After he left I finished up my homework for the day, which is module 8 of 17. Then I ate lunch. Like I said above, just giving up on the idea of pretending to work makes my day so much more full & rewarding. After lunch I built the 2nd Adirondack chair. @jmanic - D said she would stain them but she wanted them built first. So there's that.

Here's the 4-way mound (in need of a name). Behind it I think you see what I'm going to work on next. Zac cut this the other day and while it's decent, the edge of the trails are walls and we both keep hitting that log in such a way that we're just on that right edge and your momentum goes to shit. That whole turn needs work to make it better. But I haven't yet put my finger on exactly what the main culprit is. This is the berm-turn and it's always been ambitious so it may take a while to get just right.

IMG_8346.JPG

Early afternoon and I decided to do a workout inside. I wanted to get in something tight & focused, so I picked a 1.25 hour interval session from the Hunter's Challenge set. This is typically what I opt for with intervals because he and Coggan are the ones that wrote the book (literally) on power training. I was able to hit the workout 100% today without dropping to 90%, which is what I often end up doing. So that was a good thing. I watched the end of Westworld, season 3, while I rode. And yeah, so I'm still not sure what's going on. I'll need to read the Wikipedia article on it someday. Or not. I don't think I care that much.

After I sat with D for a bit and had an espresso I went back out for more. Finished up the kicker and then got on the bike to try it out as well as session the trails a bit. It came out much, much better than I was expecting and I fast tracked this thing and added it to the trails today. Took some time to properly anchor it then let it fly and it flowed like absolute butter. This is an exceptional addition to the trail and I may produce 3 more of these over the next few days.

I rolled around for 15 minutes moving, taking stock of what needs to be done, some of which I described above with the narrow trail. The trails are almost session-able at this point, but there are some rough spots and as the trail builder, I constantly find myself wanting to ride it 2-3 times then get off and spend an hour fixing something because it's not quite right. I guess this is probably normal.

But now I know what I need to focus on in the next few days. The slave labor boys come back tomorrow and we have 5 days to work on these. I expect some good stuff by the end of Sunday.

The kicker and the mound:

IMG_8347.JPG

After a shower D and I went on a late afternoon walk to the park & back. When we got home it was about 6:00 and I was pretty much done with all the things I needed to do for the day. I don't really know what to do with that much time. So I ate some leftovers, read a little, watered the grass, wrote this, laid on the couch, etc. And here we are.

Tuesday was a damn fine day. Damn fine, I tell ya.

IMG_8348.JPG

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jmanic - D said she would stain them but she wanted them built first. So there's that.
Say no more.

Glad to hear it was a good day- same here. Proper mix of wfh, ride time with E, then the afternoon chores (I pretend I live on a farm), dinner and beers.
Can’t ask for much more.
Also working on building the skill set, because why TF not?
Sadly I built no kickers as part of the chores. Send plans.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh, and on the naming: 4 Way Street?
F79E602A-F385-405A-A1FC-DEC46F07548A.jpeg

Many years ago I used to buy catnip from a guy (Gonzo) who would present his wares in this gatefold. Take your pick.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Transition: Day 7 (of 26) - Kicker Time!

Late morning @rottin' stops by for his GU order. We kept our distance which is just kind of weird, right? I wanted to ask you in for a cup of coffee but I guess we're not allowed to do that sort of thing anymore. I feel bad as a human being but I guess this is life now.

Here's the 4-way mound (in need of a name).

You should feel totally bad as a human...christ I drove 3/4 of the state today, and you practically threw the GU at me from the porch...I kid i kid...just an unfortunate sign of the times. I'll grab the coffee from you when I ride the bike park in your backyard.

You should name the 4 way mound The Barkley (as in Charles). I mean, he was the

DynamicImageHandler_e16aae15-ad06-47a6-8171-d7b1ec73edf1_2000x.png

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Transition: Day 8 (of 26) - Charles Barkley

I think Charles Barkley is the winner. Hard to refute that one.

Gumby Walk is short again this morning. I know my aim of the day, and I'm going to repeat yesterday and do some homework early. Today is the bottomless pit of reporting, which is a gorilla in every enterprise room. I've done a lot of this before but it's a good review as some of the tools have changed over the years and I do end up picking some things up. While I'm working through this, Julia shows up and we review her homework, and she's already in good shape for the day.

At 9:30 I go out and work on that narrow trench we saw yesterday and I take that dirt and build up the high side of the berm-jump to help drive the turn better. I talkd a bit with @stb222 yesterday and he gave me some pointers. You can see the new dirt closest to the camera and the older stuff behind. We'll need to eventually let those rocks fall out and replace that with some better shaping but when I rode this later in the day, it flowed far better than yesterday. I do have plenty of dirt to remove & work with here, but this is not a priority right now.

IMG_8354.JPG

After 1.5 hours outside I went back in to finish up my homework module for the day then I decided to go for a late morning road ride. I opted for shorts & short sleeves and it was pretty cold out. The wind was moving faster than I thought so depending on my direction it was either ok or chilly out there. The days have been really nice to look at but it's colder than it looks.

Got home and D made us some lunch, I took out the recycling, sat with Julia while she ate, then built Adirondack chair #3.

I love this bush. What is it?

IMG_8349.JPG

Late afternoon took Julia down to the municipal building where we walked the loop that's up in the woods there. Pretty chill day and it was a nice day to be out. This loop is a jogging path that I believe some high school kids did a few years ago. We occasionally walk it and it's a decent little loop. We've done the geocaches in the area though it's been so long that there may be new ones.

Our goal was to see a new bird but there are so few here it's hard to see anything.

IMG_8350.JPG

In case you weren't sure, an arrow clarifies.

IMG_8351.JPG

Below is the Warren Grotto, which you can read about here. It's not in the shape that it used to be in.

IMG_8352.JPG

When we got back from the walk the boys had shown up and the first thing Zac said to me was how awesome the kicker addition was. To say he was stoked is an understatement. After a brief stop inside I head back out with the boys and we put in another hour and change working on the trails. Zac works on a sort of turny-berm-jump thing that's hard to describe but works well with 1 approach but not so much another. This is a prelude to the kicker and this run is going to be a blast when all is said and done. We're going to probably put in a second kicker after the first this weekend, as well as trenching out a pretty deep berm as this blasts you into a 90 degree left onto Original Spin (backwards) at the end.

I work on grooming the landing of the kicker and then we fix a rock drop that's a crossover to this trail. That's the other cross of Charles Barkley which is where you land when you ride the berm-turn, also in need of a name. We also discuss some work needed for tomorrow. We're going to need to move some dirt on the south side of Charles Barkley as well as fill in Zac's construction of today, pictured below.

IMG_8356.JPG

IMG_8355.JPG

I also built a kicker for Simon so he can practice in the grass. There's a fair chance this ends up in the park soon, but we'll see. I let Simon ride the one in the trail and he was pretty sketchy, almost crashing. So I want him to be able to practice a bit before he hits this with any regularity.

Then dinner and then Acme because we're out of food.

Top Bottom