James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh hey. Today is 1000 days without a drink. Crazy, right?

Tomorrow is another day. On that topic, here's what I'm going with. I'll wake up tomorrow (Monday) and finish packing & load up the car. Then hit the road around 8:30 and head towards Burlington, where I found a coffee house about 1:10 away. I have a call at 9:00 which I can (and will) take on the road. Then the 10:00 call I'll need to be stopped because I have to show screens and shit. By 11:00 I hit the road, worst case, and head towards Patapsco. From here that's about 3 hours, plus the 1 for the call, which gets me there in the 12:30 ballpark. So figure somewhere between 12-1 depending on traffic, call length, and my hunger level.

Then ride there in the afternoon for maybe 2 hours. That puts me at 3:00 finishing up. From there it's maybe another hour to Reston. Staying here:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8384352?source_impression_id=p3_1578267533_80bnU+JKIZUQiM4H

As usual, I'm opting for the Airbnb route for any number of reasons. From there I'll clean up, head back out to hit up Whole Foods for some food for the week, hit another coffee shop, then find a ramen shop to eat for dinner. Home by 7:30 to jump on the monthly NICA coaches call, then maybe I'll watch Dolomite tomorrow night. And blog. And read.

How's that sound?

I tried to watch Dolomite today but my phone was acting wonky so I gave in and installed the new OS, which took a while. I just had a 1:20 ride on the plate this morning so when that was done I just watched S3E6 of Into the Badlands, the show that provides endless entertainment for @jmanic and myself. I'm not sure what we're going to talk about when this is done. Anyway, after the ride I took a shower and laid on the couch for an hour then we got ready for the NICA ride, which was 12:00 at LewMo. I didn't really want to do it (understatement) but D wanted to go. So I went and it was a good day. I'm glad I went.

On the way home we stopped and bought a pecan pie and some firewood, at the same place. Knowing the area, can anyone guess where that was?

Went home and finished reading Haroun and the Sea of Stories then the Sunday Times. Then built a fire.

The rest of the week after tomorrow, which we all know will not go down like I outlined above, is TBD. There are going to be 20-25 people there, 7 from my company, then the rest from 5 other orgs that are sending people. 2 of them are partners and 3 of them are customers. Unfortunately a lot of people there will need my time, from a teaching perspective or a customer-facing perspective or a design perspective. As it pertains to the client-facing stuff, I'm the guy. So, for better or worse @rottin', I more than likely will have to force some fun on this group of people. Historically, at least before 1000 days ago, I allowed myself to let the drink smooth the gap.

I guess after the new year I often feel like writing more. Last January I wrote something every day. Did I mention there's a fire? It's kind of comfortable here in front of it.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I love traveling for work and hanging out with folks. I've generally always liked my coworkers, but I also can't imagine being around most of them without alcohol. So I guess maybe they all suck.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wightman's it is. Bonus points for @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

I did all of my writing here today:
https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2020/01/07/reston-day1-2020/

I don't really know what to think of Patapsco. I've been there twice and I think it is a confused place. Every good trail ends with a shitty trail.

I have this vague thought to try to get out super early tomorrow morning but IDK if that is realistic or not. We shall see. Next 2 full days are training people. Did I mention I joined a circus? Tomorrow is lion taming. And riding motorcycles inside very small globes.

Wish me luck!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
First full day of training:
https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2020/01/08/reston-day2-2020/

The highlight of the day is the bowl of beef noodle soup I got for dinner. This was a dinner I ate alone. In the chaos of the meeting breaking apart, I slipped out and nobody really noticed. With this many people it is easy to be a splinter of the iceberg that breaks off and nobody is the wiser.

I did not get up to ride this morning. When I did the math last night, I knew it would be a long shot. With the wet snow now covering everything, that probably wipes tomorrow as well. At least I got a good dinner and found 2 decent coffee shops.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Everytime you write "Coffee Shop" I think "Brewery". Just the way my mind works I guess.
I travel like twice a year for work, once to AC and another to Orlando. I love just sneaking out as well and doing my own thing. No one really cares, its just BS talk for a few hours.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Day 3 of 4. I go home tomorrow:
https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2020/01/09/reston-day3-2020/

Today is an exercise in how I try to stay relatively healthy while I am on these trips. Without any exercise yesterday & today it's less than ideal. But it's just 2 days so not the end of the world.

Also now have a Georgia trip next week as well as California the week after. This winter is crazy with all the things. Still need to find time to ski.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Day 3 of 4. I go home tomorrow:
https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2020/01/09/reston-day3-2020/

Today is an exercise in how I try to stay relatively healthy while I am on these trips. Without any exercise yesterday & today it's less than ideal. But it's just 2 days so not the end of the world.

Also now have a Georgia trip next week as well as California the week after. This winter is crazy with all the things. Still need to find time to ski.

california would be a good place to ski. seriously good place to ski.

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome to 2020! Where life goes on (thankfully).

I completely agree with you on all of your points about the "forced fun" activities that always come with national/regional/business meetings/conferences. I generally try not to attend all of the functions in the evening, even though we are told they are "optional" wink wink, but recently i began standing up a new team in our organization and felt it important to get to know them, bond with them a bit, etc. In situations like this it hurts but I feel it is important, yet generally I prefer not to spend Every. Waking. Minute. With. Work. People. at meetings.

Carry on...
The key is to find that handful of work people you actually like, spend 10 mins at the “function” to see and be seen and then F off to a diff place with said handful.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The last of the Reston posts here:
https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2020/01/12/reston-day4-2020/

This one may be worth clicking for some slightly different content, but don't expect a new general theory of relativity. Sort of a look ahead at the year with no real aim in the discussion.

Trip was good and I got home to see another win by Zac. What's better is that the next day, Friday, Julia won the school Geography Bee and has a chance to move on to the state championship. She needs to now pass an online test which nobody has done from the school system in the 6 years they've been doing this. She's really good at this stuff so I think she has a shot. Pretty awesome accomplishment especially as she beat the Mensa kid that knows like 4 languages and was (at one point) something like 3 levels ahead in math. Also last night got to see Zac's team obliterate Readington.

Off to see the Harry Potter play with Julia tomorrow. That's her Xmas present.

Off to Georgia on Wednesday night. That is nobody's Xmas present. I opted for a hotel because this trip is like a commando mission. Late night arrival on Wednesday. Early 8 am start Thursday running all the way to 5 pm. Then the next day 8-4 then I fly out at 7:45 Friday night. I didn't want to screw around with the Airbnb for this one. This will be a 1-backpack business trip. I may only bring 1 pair of underwear just because.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
but don't expect a new general theory of relativity
A24FB5FB-2686-4768-97F6-A4599D42F425.jpeg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Things keep happening. That is said in a "the sun rises, then sets" as opposed to "bad things keep happening" sort of way. I've been around a bunch. Did that Virginia trip which I posted already then a day in Atlanta (or Alpharetta) followed by another day in Atlanta. Both of these were for work and in between I went to Broadway with Julia to see the Harry Potter play. I also just got back from California but I didn't write that one up yet. I actually have all 3 HQ trips to write up, which isn't good. We're going skiing at Gore this coming weekend.

February should be less chaotic. Right now it's just Sedona then Vegas. Plus I imagine we will go skiing at least 1 weekend in there? Actually, looking at the calendar that's probably iffy. I need to round up Julia to get her to the ski hill. That entails lessons which means we need to do it earlier in the day. Always lots of logistics involved.

I had a root canal today. Well, I had most of one today. It was pretty inflamed so she did 90% of it then I will go back in 2 weeks and finish it up. It hurt.

I also woke up at 3:33 today to bring my nephew (D's sister's kid) to the airport for a 6:30 flight. I didn't have the alarm set for that but it's one of those things where you just don't sleep that well for fear of missing the alarm. I came home then went back to bed for another hour-plus. Having said that, it is around 7:30 and I am starting to fade. I had been doing fine but after the dentist I have left a lot of steam on the table, which is not an expression but it is now.

I don't mind going to warmer places in the winter but it makes the cold feel colder.

I finished Reamde, the audiobook.

The Kalmyk

@Norm 7pm vs #9 Maryland.

Feels like the Hughes and Duncan era only a bit better (they are deeper). Im content where they are at but im really interested in how good of a recruiter this coach is.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm on a plane going to Vegas right now. This is my 5th trip this year - 4 by plane and 1 was by car. I'm cobbling along putting in the blog posts as I get time. Everything's adding up but this is life. I never posted about Gore.

Day 1 is here: Gore day 1
Day 2 is here: Gore day 2, aka The Injury

So I hurt myself on the last 100 yards of the ~65 mile weekend. I guess that was on Feb 2 and I'm sitting here on 2/23 with a screwed up left calf still. I had read that these things can take a long time to fully heal and I am seeing that this week it's been sort of just there. It swells up during the day then eases up when I sleep. As always, I'm impatient and use it too much. When I get off this plane it will feel great. That's sarcasm.

But most of you know we went to Sedona last week and did...hey how about that, the same as Gore, ~65 miles of mountain biking. If you're never been to Sedona, you should go.

So here is day 1 of Sedona. Damn this place is amazing. Thanks to @jmanic for helping make this happen.

I'm going to Vegas until late Thursday. Here is my non-work plan by day:

Sunday: Not enough time to do anything
Monday: Michael Jackson Cirque show
Tuesday: Mystere Cirque show
Wednesday: ?
Thursday: Blow off the reason I amt here and go ride Bootleg Canyon

How have you been?

rNWwrwb.jpg

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, I never tire of that ride up to Mecca there.
Phoenix strip malls give way to open land, and then you arrive to the vistas of red rocks.
Did you shoot straight up the gut, or come through Cottonwood?
Either is great, but 179 is pretty amazing for the arrival.
So missing not being there this year, wish we could have joined you.

Top Bottom