James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

It entertains me that my sleeping arrangements bother people so much. As it turns out, I may end up sleeping at the airport tonight. Ok they say that's not going to happen but at this point, the Departure board is getting incredibly short and we're on a 2 hour delay with the plane not even here yet. In fact, the plane was here, but since Newark is refusing all the flights it took off somewhere else and we are going to use another plane, which is going to land at 11:20. We're supposed to take off at 11:49 and land at 2:41. If I get to bed before 4:00 I guess I'll be happy.

Tomorrow is gonna suck.

Today was a waste. I didn't know what to expect but the Sales Rep who lives out here didn't bother. I'm not a sales guy, my role is to fill the gaps that the Sales guys leave open. But he can't be bothered to show, which is a bit of an indication on something or other. Anyway, I had another good bowl of ramen today. And I got to hang out with Tommy and see his family for ice cream. So we got that going for us. Which is nice.

I did get to link up with 3 people I used to work with when I was contracting which was pretty cool. I hung out with them at the last 2 industry conferences a few years ago. 2 of the 3 of them tried to talk me into considering coming back. Hey, you never know where life will take you.

Last day of the Kingdom blog here:
Kingdom Fall 19 Day 4: A Last Hurrah to the Vermont Mountain Bike Season

Probably I don't have a lot more to say. For the first time in a long time, I did not buy a bag of coffee beans on one of these Chicago trips. But I did drink coffee. Duh.

coffee_duh.png

Things have been pretty all over the place, in that I have been all over the place. Spent 10 straight days in Florida last week+ which culminated in my getting back home late Wednesday night. I've spend the last 4 days trying to get work done and doing shit around the house that got ignored for the last 10 days.

Florida was good, and warmer than here. I was enjoying the fall before I left. I have returned not enjoying the fall as much. It's like, really cold.

The trip was 3 phases: Melbourne, Ocala, then Orlando. I'll have 11 blog posts on this in time. I have done the first 6 which was the Melbourne trip. That started 2 weeks ago tomorrow, which is a little crazy. The whole thing came about because of a work trip in Orlando. We then rolled that into the family coming with me for the week in Melbourne. With the teacher convention week, which is 3 half days and 2 off days, we figured the kids would not miss much being out. So we took off Monday night. We were in Melbourne 6 days, 5 night.

Phase 2 was an overnight in Ocala. I have to write that still.

Then 4 days in Orlando for the conference. Orlando is ok for a family destination. But it isn't the best place as an adult. The food there sucks out loud. I'll get to that later.

Melbourne November 19 Day 0: Late Night Arrival in Melbourne
Melbourne November 19 Day 1: First Full Day in Melbourne
Melbourne November 19 Day 2: Another Day at the Beach

ZqC8WW8.jpg

I have no immediate travel plans until Xmas when we will head to Canada for maybe 5-6 days. But I have a feeling I may be on the road once more before that. They asked me to go to Boston this Thursday, and I said no to that. This was marketing so I didn't feel bad saying no. Then I could have gone to LA early December but honestly I'm not feeling that right now. That trip probably isn't going to be fun because that project is a bit of a mess. But it's not mine so I am not required to go. I was open to it a little just to help out but I can't really afford that.

Anyway, I am watching TV and biking these days. In the past whatever I have watched the following movies:

Rocketman
Roma
Ocean's 12
Mudbound
Time Trap
Earthquake Bird

Bold - you should watch. Strikethrough, not so much. Ocean's 12 is whatever. Good enough but don't go out of your way.

Life is a bit of a blur these days. Just taking 1 breath at a time.

XBlmiRV.jpg

For the past week, or more, I've been saying during the day that I was going to write something once night rolled around. Once night rolls around, the effort of sitting up and writing for some period of time seems to reek of effort - effort I just don't have.

We're watching Reprisal tonight. The media blitz on this has been hot & heavy and we both liked the girl in Timeless. So we're giving it a try. It's so riveting that I was driven to sit up and finally write this. I'll let you know if we're still watching by the end of the blog post. I really don't know what year this is supposed to be taking place in. Maybe the 1950s. In the great words of Sven Hoek, "THESE ARE BORING GAMES!"

Florida/Melbourne: Second Half

I never linked the past 3 blog posts from the Melbourne trip.

Melbourne November 19 Day 3: Sunrise and the Perfect Weather Day
Melbourne November 19 Day 4: Rain Rolls in the Afternoon
Melbourne November 19 Day 5: Sending the Family Home

Then I did a 1-off trip to Ocala, also linked below:

The Ocala Santos Double Dip

Other Things

* I went to the doctor last week and all my numbers are fine. Still not dying.

* I am driving myself to hit the 500 hours goal for the year. I think I'm at 475 hours right now so I should be able to hit it. But unlike last year I'm going to try to get as much in before we leave for Canada because I don't want to have to be riding every possible moment in the last week of the year.

* Work is busy, duh.

* Various travel plans in the next 3 months include Canada, probably some ski trips, Washington DC area (Reston), possible HQ trip again in January, Minnesota for a customer, Arizona in February to go ride Sedona, then who knows. There's some non-zero chance I have to go to Baton Rouge for a day but I have no desire to do that so I won't unless I have to.

* Been into reading again lately so this also takes up some of my free time. I am on 3 different formats now - paper, Kindle, & Audible. I reread Slaughterhouse 5 which is still awesome. Vonnegut is timeless.

Speaking of Timeless, and the actress from it - we've moved on because Reprisal sucked. We are on Frequency (Netflix) now.

For the past week, or more, I've been saying during the day that I was going to write something once night rolled around. Once night rolls around, the effort of sitting up and writing for some period of time seems to reek of effort - effort I just don't have.

We're watching Reprisal tonight. The media blitz on this has been hot & heavy and we both liked the girl in Timeless. So we're giving it a try. It's so riveting that I was driven to sit up and finally write this. I'll let you know if we're still watching by the end of the blog post. I really don't know what year this is supposed to be taking place in. Maybe the 1950s. In the great words of Sven Hoek, "THESE ARE BORING GAMES!"

Other Things

* I am driving myself to hit the 500 hours goal for the year. I think I'm at 475 hours right now so I should be able to hit it. But unlike last year I'm going to try to get as much in before we leave for Canada because I don't want to have to be riding every possible moment in the last week of the year.

* Work is busy, duh.

* Various travel plans in the next 3 months include Canada, probably some ski trips, Washington DC area (Reston), possible HQ trip again in January, Minnesota for a customer, Arizona in February to go ride Sedona, then who knows. There's some non-zero chance I have to go to Baton Rouge for a day but I have no desire to do that so I won't unless I have to.

* Been into reading again lately so this also takes up some of my free time. I am on 3 different formats now - paper, Kindle, & Audible. I reread Slaughterhouse 5 which is still awesome. Vonnegut is timeless.

Speaking of Timeless, and the actress from it - we've moved on because Reprisal sucked. We are on Frequency (Netflix) now.
@Norm I may be in AZ in February, specifically Sedona...lets meet on the trail lol

Other Things

* Work is busy, duh.

DB457E01-4502-4963-96C1-4A41AEDDDAE8.png

I started that confessions show the other night on your recommendation....looked interesting, but i feel asleep after about 3 minutes...ill have to try again on the trainer.

and hooray for ski season

It's 2020. It's a Saturday night. We don't have the kids and we pretty much have nothing going on. D is sick. The weather here is such that biking is meh and skiing is meh and being outside much at all is meh. I don't say that as a testament to how sad everything is outside. Tis the season, as they say. It's just not stokeville enough to motivate us to do much, especially with D being under the weather.

We went away for the holiday. As many of you know, that trip was up north. In all it was 6 days, 2 travel and 4 full on the ground. We kicked it off with a Christmas show in Easton, PA, and we ended it with a long Christmas day drive that ended in, well you guessed it, Easton, PA.

The blog posts from 1 to 6:
You won't read these. I mean, I don't expect you to, because I just dumped 6 links, covering 6 days, 5 states/provinces, 3 ski trips, 1000+ miles on the road, and so on. There are a bunch of pictures and words. But it's Saturday night and, unlike us, you probably have something better going on than to click the links above and read all them.

I digress. It's 2020 and with that comes various lifestyle things like, "So what are you going to do with the year?" and "What does the year 48 mean for you?" and so on. There's not a really formal answer to that. I'm going to be 50 in a few years. In fact, if I race cross at the end of the year I can race the 50+ class due to the goofy USAC/UCI rules. Point being, I don't necessarily start the year with new goals like climbing mountains, or learning the tango, or anything like that. I'm too old to wake up on January 1 and decide I want to climb Mount Kilimanjaro.

Speaking of the tango, we just finished Why Women Kill and it's a really solid watch. It's on CBS All Access which we got so my step-father could watch the Jets game last week. It was $6 for the month, so between that game and the series, it was more than worth it.

Yet again, I digress. I made some tweaks in the things I track, but nothing crazy. I could do some year end stats and projections and stuff. But to what end? I've been kicking around the idea of trying to get something published somewhere but that's super vague. I've also started the year riding with a purpose. But I did that last year, and it never amounted to anything other than being able to ride the bike in a bunch of different spots. That's not a bad thing. This year I have added it to my trackable things.

Ok I'll state this one thing. My goal is to do 10,000 pushups in 2020.

I'm going to Reston, VA on Monday for work and coming back on Thursday. The excitement is at 11. Like a Spinal Tap 11. This is not a 2020 goal.

Blogging isn't dead, per se. I just don't know what to say that I haven't said a bunch of other times before. I mean, there's always work but I don't feel like talking about that much. I'm still trying to find a good balancing point with that. If I were to state a goal for 2020 it would be to nail down that sweet spot with the job. It's only been 4 months, so it's still very new in the grand scheme. But this isn't necessarily a 2020 goal so much as it's a Q1 goal for 2020. But, there's no way for me to quantify it. Subjective goals are hard to measure. Doing 10,000 pushups? That's a Yoda layup. However, "Don't worry, be happy," is not something you can objectively put a pass/fail on. Maybe unless you write a song.

I would also like to be more involved on the site & team & community and so on, but I have to admit that I feel like I've lost touch a bit with the board as a whole. This may just be me getting older. and being around here forever. I think this year is my 15th on the site, and like 17th on the NJ MTB boards as we were all on MTBR before this. That's a lot of years, a lot of bike rides. That's 6200 days of talking about bikes and bike-related things in the state of NJ, and around the state of NJ.

According to Trailforks, there are just over 4800 miles of trails in NJ. I find that hard to believe, but assuming this is true, I could have devoted a day discussing every mile of trail in NJ in that time. Seriously, what else is there to say? I've probably done 5000+ rides in that time. What differentiates ride #2343 from ride #4502? I have no idea. Maybe it wasn't raining on 1 of the rides. But I don't know.

I may bring 1 or 2 (or 0) bikes with me to Reston, VA. I'm not sure yet. White Clay and Patapsco are between here and there. I'm thinking White Clay will be too greasy. I've ridden that place a bunch anyway. Maybe I'll hit Patapsco on Monday on the drive down. I went there once and it was fine. I also know this will be a jam-packed trip with 8-9 hour days, then people-ing, and meals, and stuff like that which I would rather not have to do. Ideally, I would love to show up at 9, do the needful, and go back to the AirBNB at 5 and go find my own dinner. I don't like the group meals because a) they always pick shitty food and b) I don't like anyone there enough to spend 12+ hours with them.

Just like the old show, Eight is Enough. Do you think they had alternate names of that show, such as Buy Some Condoms or For Christ Sake Stop Fucking So Much?

Anyway, I'll try to keep this up a bit better. As another oldie/goodie sitcom went, you take the good you take the bad you take it all and there you have...something or other.

Welcome to 2020. If I had a new blog I would name it something about Vision. But I'm getting old so I have to wear reading glasses now. See y'all around.

I also know this will be a jam-packed trip with 8-9 hour days, then people-ing, and meals, and stuff like that which I would rather not have to do. Ideally, I would love to show up at 9, do the needful, and go back to the AirBNB at 5 and go find my own dinner. I don't like the group meals because a) they always pick shitty food and b) I don't like anyone there enough to spend 12+ hours with them.

I completely agree with you on all of your points about the "forced fun" activities that always come with national/regional/business meetings/conferences. I generally try not to attend all of the functions in the evening, even though we are told they are "optional" wink wink, but recently i began standing up a new team in our organization and felt it important to get to know them, bond with them a bit, etc. In situations like this it hurts but I feel it is important, yet generally I prefer not to spend Every. Waking. Minute. With. Work. People. at meetings.

Carry on...

48=not old enough to say you're old. Trust me on this one.
Welcome to 2020 Norm, looking forward to skimming through here and maybe click on 1 link a month. That's 12 clicks and then 12 back clicks to return here so thats 24 extra clicks this year expected already. If I continue that for the next 10 years that's 2400000 clicks. Just sayin

Back
Top Bottom