James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Will revisit the Airbnb later. My next Airbnb plans are not firmed up yet but I'm hoping to do something later in November.

I just got back from California, which most of you know by now. I'll get to those blog posts later but here is the first of the 4 Kingdom Trails posts I am just getting around to:
Kingdom Fall 19 Day 1: Showing 26er the Highlights

Woke up Friday early, flew back, saw Julia briefly before she went to her mom's. Then we went to the Chester theater to see A Doll's House Part 2. No, we never saw part 1 and it's ok. It was good, interesting, and makes you think. @seanrunnette was supposed to go but at the last second they implemented a No 6'6"-plus rule and he was excluded.

On Saturday we did the CR group ride then had lunch with a bunch of people. It was a solid day, lots of good friends. Weather could not have been better. We had originally planned on going to Sterling that day. But we decided that we should support the cause once we heard the group ride was happening. We are both glad we did, as it was a good time. My leg has been healing rather slowly, and this helped. It seemed to have been reverting to a sort of "not wanting to move at all" state and the trip west made this worse. I am looking forward to being done with this.

Today was an early Zwift ride then we went into the city to see a show and grab dinner, which was my present to D as our first wedding anniversary. Went to see Come From Away which was fantastic. I highly recommend this. D has been talking about this for a few years now and we finally got to see it today. Really great, and it was a perfect day to spend in the city as the weather was total crap.

I'm off to Chicago this week Tue/Wed. Seems like every fall I travel a bunch. But I think in between Thanksgiving & Christmas it may be quiet. Maybe.

40ED0023-BFDF-4294-AE44-292A60FD2307.jpeg

2D655851-15EA-460C-BBFB-3724D336853D.jpeg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bike stuff 1 would be the 2nd day of KT blog post. The Flower Brook Trail addition is a great add to the system. Very cool day there. Always sad when the season ends but I look back on it fondly.
Kingdom Fall 19 Day 2: Moose Alley & Haven and the New Connector

Bike stuff 2 is Chimney Rock Gravel Grinder Fun Monday with @Dominique @jklett and @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST. Solid ride tonight, and thanks to Glenn for putting it together and pushing us to get out there. I will be away for the next 2 Mondays but maybe after that we can try to extend this into the dark. Also saw @Mare45 but she was done with her ride. Next time!

Bike stuff 3 is that I have secured a...let's say unique Airbnb outside of Ocala, Florida and rented a Tallboy for 2 days of riding down at Santos on the 2nd weekend of November. More to come on that front but we'll be down there with the family on the week of 11/4 then on Saturday everyone else goes home and I go to Orlando for a trade show that starts Monday morning. In between I'm renting a bike and riding Santos. Looking to @JimN as well as @V-Dub for ideas of how to spend about 26 hours on the trails there.

Work stuff 1 would be that I fly to Chicago at 1:15 tomorrow afternoon then get home on Wednesday 10:45 pm.

4009FFBA-15CD-44C6-A53F-6BE5A22E374F.jpeg

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looking to @JimN as well as @V-Dub for ideas of how to spend about 26 hours on the trails there.

Ride the Vortex loop 52 times? I was there in like 2011 and don't really remember too much, other than it was really fun and Vortex was the best part. Mancuso did 46 miles and didn't even come close to hitting all of the Greenway stuff. https://www.strava.com/activities/1330791568

@WickedSistahEast might also be able to give you some intel.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Bike stuff 1 would be the 2nd day of KT blog post. The Flower Brook Trail addition is a great add to the system. Very cool day there. Always sad when the season ends but I look back on it fondly.
Kingdom Fall 19 Day 2: Moose Alley & Haven and the New Connector

Bike stuff 2 is Chimney Rock Gravel Grinder Fun Monday with @Dominique @jklett and @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST. Solid ride tonight, and thanks to Glenn for putting it together and pushing us to get out there. I will be away for the next 2 Mondays but maybe after that we can try to extend this into the dark. Also saw @Mare45 but she was done with her ride. Next time!

Bike stuff 3 is that I have secured a...let's say unique Airbnb outside of Ocala, Florida and rented a Tallboy for 2 days of riding down at Santos on the 2nd weekend of November. More to come on that front but we'll be down there with the family on the week of 11/4 then on Saturday everyone else goes home and I go to Orlando for a trade show that starts Monday morning. In between I'm renting a bike and riding Santos. Looking to @JimN as well as @V-Dub for ideas of how to spend about 26 hours on the trails there.

Work stuff 1 would be that I fly to Chicago at 1:15 tomorrow afternoon then get home on Wednesday 10:45 pm.

View attachment 109247
Will be curious to know how you like the new Tallboy compared to your 429.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok so where were we? I think Chicago. But before that:
Kingdom Fall 19 Day 3: Second full day with a Complete Highlight Loop

So that post is the last full day we will wake up and go to sleep on a bike trip in Vermont this year. I think. I mean I know you never know anymore with us. Last night we did the gravel ride, and tonight I am in a hostel in downtown Chicago (* I'll get to that, Pat). Things change. A week from now I will be elsewhere. 2 weeks later, somewhere else. And for 1 night in between those 2 dates, I'll be in the best Airbnb ever. All 3 of those places are in Florida where I will be on the lookout for bonji bowls, or whatever @rick81721 has in store for me.

I was supposed to fly out to spend most of the day with my old boss and current coworker Tommy but he got pulled to Austin and as I sit here at 8:15 CST, he's still there as his plane has been delayed. He offered his place but it's almost an hour away, and while I know his family I'm not that comfortable that I want to go out and hang with them. IDK it just feels weird. So I scraped up $28 for a pretty damn fine hostel. I know this will make @Patrick nuts but this is pretty comfy and only 1 of the 3 other spots in the room seems to be taken.

My ramen dinner cost more than my room. There's something awesome about that. I think I want to stay in a yurt one day. I bet it costs more than $28.

Tomorrow I do some trade show type thing at McCormick Center here. I am told the building is big but it's old and sort of like a dump now. I will get 2 decent meals out of it, assuming Tommy a) makes it home tonight and b) makes it into the city tomorrow. Actually I am sure I will get 2 meals out of it, either way. Then I fly home at 9:45 CST. Last night I thought that is when I got home but no, this is when I fly.

Seriously this was worth more than the room in every way. And this room is actually pretty nice.

ramen.jpeg

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Ok so where were we? I think Chicago. But before that:
Kingdom Fall 19 Day 3: Second full day with a Complete Highlight Loop

So that post is the last full day we will wake up and go to sleep on a bike trip in Vermont this year. I think. I mean I know you never know anymore with us. Last night we did the gravel ride, and tonight I am in a hostel in downtown Chicago (* I'll get to that, Pat). Things change. A week from now I will be elsewhere. 2 weeks later, somewhere else. And for 1 night in between those 2 dates, I'll be in the best Airbnb ever. All 3 of those places are in Florida where I will be on the lookout for bonji bowls, or whatever @rick81721 has in store for me.

I was supposed to fly out to spend most of the day with my old boss and current coworker Tommy but he got pulled to Austin and as I sit here at 8:15 CST, he's still there as his plane has been delayed. He offered his place but it's almost an hour away, and while I know his family I'm not that comfortable that I want to go out and hang with them. IDK it just feels weird. So I scraped up $28 for a pretty damn fine hostel. I know this will make @Patrick nuts but this is pretty comfy and only 1 of the 3 other spots in the room seems to be taken.

My ramen dinner cost more than my room. There's something awesome about that. I think I want to stay in a yurt one day. I bet it costs more than $28.

Tomorrow I do some trade show type thing at McCormick Center here. I am told the building is big but it's old and sort of like a dump now. I will get 2 decent meals out of it, assuming Tommy a) makes it home tonight and b) makes it into the city tomorrow. Actually I am sure I will get 2 meals out of it, either way. Then I fly home at 9:45 CST. Last night I thought that is when I got home but no, this is when I fly.

Seriously this was worth more than the room in every way. And this room is actually pretty nice.

View attachment 109333
So to confirm, you are on a business trip, paid for by your company and you are staying in a
$28 hostel? I mean I the airbnb, ok, but a hostel?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
are you wearing sandles?

will you submit an expense report?

the marriott on the magnificent mile is $150/night - that includes taxes. nobody sleeping in the other spot, or sharing the bathroom.

safe travels.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Watch out for the party girls. They'll drug you, and next thing you know you're in a basement dungeon in Romania getting tortured.
If @Norm can get this for less $ then Hostel he is IN!

Last edited:
Reactions: rlb
Top Bottom