Jacked up rear derailleur

mattfish11

Hey crew... trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm having rear derailleur problems - earlier this year, I jacked one up pretty bad and after 3-4 visits to my LBS to adjust, I just decided to have them replace it.

The new one lasted about a month before somehow it got busted - but this time there was a little break in the one arm that was causing it to malfunction.

Got a new Shimano Deore Shadow installed next at the same LBS and after 2 rides - I'm having issues again. it takes 2 clicks of the shift lever to shift to some gears and sometimes 3. I hope it's just an adjustment issue this time, but it has to be something I'm doing wrong?!? I haven't had any crashes with any of these derailleurs, and I don't recall any major hits on logs/rocks or the like...

Any suggestions on how to care a little better for my rear derailleur? It's kind of frustrating...

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
have you turned it off and on again?

a new cable will stretch over time and not shift 100%, and need a little adjustment. nothing major though.

mattfish11

have you turned it off and on again?

a new cable will stretch over time and not shift 100%, and need a little adjustment. nothing major though.
If you are talking about the chain stabilizer - yes I turn it off when I'm not riding and make sure it's on when on the trails.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
you haven't said anything about the hanger, are you sure thats not bent? that will make even the best tuned RD mis shift.

it may seem a little daunting, but watching a couple youtube videos could get you confident enough to adjust it yourself. May take some trial and error though. you usually have 3 points of adjustment, cable tension, low screw and high screw. tighter or looser.

watch it once, all the way through, then go in the garage/basement/living room and give it a go. i bet you get pretty damn close.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How old of a drive train meaning how many miles or hours on this first D? Worn chain and cogset plus I would have that hanger professionally aligned. Stupid question but what are you adjusting when you do adjustments. Reason I ask as rookie mistakes like try to set limiter screws.

mattfish11

you haven't said anything about the hanger, are you sure thats not bent? that will make even the best tuned RD mis shift.

it may seem a little daunting, but watching a couple youtube videos could get you confident enough to adjust it yourself. May take some trial and error though. you usually have 3 points of adjustment, cable tension, low screw and high screw. tighter or looser.

watch it once, all the way through, then go in the garage/basement/living room and give it a go. i bet you get pretty damn close.

Thank you for the link to that video... The more I take my bike into the LBS the more I want to learn how to do this kind of stuff myself. For now though - I don't feel like messing with it myself. lol

I'm actually not sure about the hanger being bent or not... I'll have to take a close look.

mattfish11

How old of a drive train meaning how many miles or hours on this first D? Worn chain and cogset plus I would have that hanger professionally aligned. Stupid question but what are you adjusting when you do adjustments. Reason I ask as rookie mistakes like try to set limiter screws.
I haven't done any adjustments on the hanger or the D myself... I've taken it in to my LBS to do all adjustments. I think they just did derailleur adjustments, not sure they did anything with the hanger.

Any recommendations on a good LBS that take a look into this? I'm in Manville, work in Basking Ridge... So Somerset Co would be my ideal choice but will travel farther for quality.

Thanks!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I haven't done any adjustments on the hanger or the D myself... I've taken it in to my LBS to do all adjustments. I think they just did derailleur adjustments, not sure they did anything with the hanger.

Any recommendations on a good LBS that take a look into this? I'm in Manville, work in Basking Ridge... So Somerset Co would be my ideal choice but will travel farther for quality.

Thanks!

Go to Halters. Not far at all.

qclabrat

try the micro adjustments first, before messing with anything else
I also find it odd that the problem is reoccurring, may be worthwhile checking out another LBS

mattfish11

Just an update on my D - Took it back into the LBS that installed and they adjusted it. As he was looking at it, he saw the rear cog on the D was not aligned. He took it apart, re-set the bearing inside and re installed. Did 8 miles on LM and 5 miles at Chimney Rock since and so far so good... Knock on wood.

Thanks for all your help guys!

njmark

Professional Cyclist
Just an update on my D - Took it back into the LBS that installed and they adjusted it. As he was looking at it, he saw the rear cog on the D was not aligned. He took it apart, re-set the bearing inside and re installed. Did 8 miles on LM and 5 miles at Chimney Rock since and so far so good... Knock on wood.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Hey, I'm in Manville too I would recommend Halters in Montgomery on 206.

Robson

If you replace derailleur cable should be replaced as well. Learn how to do it yourself or find new bike shop...

Top Bottom