It's Upgrade Time

Glancing Aft

After having countless issues with my bike over the past few months and dumping a ton of money on replacement parts I have decided that it is time for a new bike. I think I’m going to be like M3Tim and join the cool kids in the 29er crowd.

I’m looking for a hard tail that I can primarily use as a race bike at H2H and MASS races. I think for any endurance races I do, I’ll still stick with my full squish for now, but that remains to be seen. Anyway, my budget is a bit limited in that I’d like to keep it under $2,300 and upgrade the bike over time. Right now the two bikes that are on the table are,

- Niner AIR 9 - I'd have to skimp on some of the build options for now but I think I could build it up within budget.

- Gary Fisher Paragon

I’ve had very limited ridding times on both bikes but I do like the way they both handle, however I hope to get on them more. I guess I’ll probably be making my purchase late July early August. Anyone have any suggestions? One of these two bikes, another bike in the same price range?

xc62701

I love my fisher and the paragon is pretty sweet but the niner is very tempting... Best bet is to ride em both if ya can.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm going to say the Paragon because I hate the Niner. It's the worst bike I've ever ridden. I'm also thin, tall dark & hansome, and I have a full head of hair. I'm independently wealthy, speak 16 languages, and shit golden eggs every day at 11:17 am. Oh hey, gotta run to the toilet...

xc62701

How about a Kona? They've got some sweet bikes that will fit the budget. I think the Kona Kula Deluxe has xt/x9 level components and could fit the bill.

Glancing Aft

BiknBen

...Right now the two bikes that are on the table are,
- Niner AIR 9 - I'd have to skimp on some of the build options for now but I think I could build it up within budget.

The Niners have a 29er specific geometry (According to Niner). The Head Tube Angle (HTA) is very steep which makes the bike handle different than others. Some would say very precise. Others may say too twitchy.

I happen to love it cause it leads to some very precise steering. Although at times when I was tired or getting sloppy, the handling has surprised me. Just for reference, I'm riding a rigid One9.

I had a conversation with Chuck-E-Chillout and he did not like it. He has a geared HT frame w/ a susp. fork. The compression of the fork steepens the HTA further. The combo of an obstacle slowly the bike down and the increase in HTA, could lead to the rider feeling as if they are about to get launched over the bars.

I suggest you take one of your teammates bikes for a ride to compare.

Glancing Aft

I suggest you take one of your teammates bikes for a ride to compare.
Is that an Offer? ;) I'll let you ride Alyssa's bike :D I'll note the HTA concerns. I'm sure once I'll have to spend some time getting the fork pressure and rebound just right. However, I'm sure in making the transition from FS back to HT I'll have some OTB experiences. Hopefully you'll be there to laugh!

I'll toss in the Cannondale F29, in your range.
I hate to say it, but I think I'm going to swear of C-Dale :(

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You can ride mine too, as I think my bike would be almost exactly like something you'd build up. You and I are closer in height as well.

Shaggz

A strong 7
You can ride mine too, as I think my bike would be almost exactly like something you'd build up. You and I are closer in height as well.
If go this route, we will change you from "Single Pivot Fury" to "No Pivot Numb Nuts".

I saw Norm's whip up close and personal today, really sharp looking, with a nice component spec and pretty respectable as far as weight goes. Trails were too slick, or else I would have asked to take it for a spin.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Would that be before or after you lay your golden egg for the day?

You can take it while I'm "producing", as it does take some time to get that puppy out. It's 3-4 metric tons.

Also something to remember is that a guy like Chuck has been riding a bike a long, long time. So he may notice thing that guys like us don't at this stage. I generally use the Booger Ski Advice method of riding: Go that way. Really fast. If something gets in your way, turn. Or crash.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
GA,

As much as loved trying out Spenser's Niner (now I'm really spoiled), sadly I have re-checked my finances after a few home "emergencies" and it looks like I'll be on the 26er for awhile longer:mad:. I might be able to scrape up enough to upgrade my wheels but even that's going to be pushing it.

I don't know what size you are, or your feelings about used bikes, but I was looking at this before I realized how poor I really am (with my wife's help:getsome:) :

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/720113198.html

Looked like a pretty sweet deal and ride to me.

Tim

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
GA,

As much as loved trying out Spenser's Niner (now I'm really spoiled), sadly I have re-checked my finances after a few home "emergencies" and it looks like I'll be on the 26er for awhile longer:mad:. I might be able to scrape up enough to upgrade my wheels but even that's going to be pushing it.

this site is getting to you when riding 26ers makes you mad...

what is this world coming to!

still sorry to here no new bike though...

ArmyOfNone

I was talking to Chuck yesterday about his bike and he has completely changed his view on the bike. He did some work to his position, tweaked his fork and has been totally digging it.

I quote "I should be riding my mary today bc I will be racing it on sunday, but this bike is so much fucking fun to ride."

I dont think he wasnt digging the bike but something for him was not right about it. Seems to be all good.

Also there isnt anywhere that you can get a kermit green frame. Sexy

ArmyOfNone

Not true! I saw a built up Kermit Green one with a Reeba and X.9/X.7 componentry for $2,300 just the other day. I'm not saying where it was :D:D:D:D

I wasnt saying YOU couldnt get one, but niner i think are the only guys with that kind of sexyness.

Dood go buy that sucka!

Top Bottom