Its too cold for bike frames!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Joe, unfortunetly I'm driving to florida at the moment and my blackberry does not let me post pictures. But it was a very clean, stright through break. Vertical shear stright through. No signs of bending or twisting that I noticed. Ill have to get so better pics when I get back

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
It seems most of the bikes that break are FS:hmmm: good thing I ride a rigid:D

If I road a rigid all the time, my body would break instead of the bike. :)

My Monocog 29er SS is a rigid ride right now -- there is no way I could ride that all the time.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So a specialized rep got back to me and told me that the chainstay is no longer under warrenty.

The warranty on the main front triangle of that frame is a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturers defects for the original owner. However, There is only a one year warranty on workmanship, and materials on chain stay, seat seat stay, and shock links.

I already had a new one on order. My friend at marty's tells me thats its on the way. However, specialized could not get me one in the original silver so it will now be black. I could care less about colors on a bike, but since I plan on selling this frame I would have liked to have it the original color.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
wasnt the 2 tone silver and black stumpjumper the xtra special limited edition??:hmmm:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
wasnt the 2 tone silver and black stumpjumper the xtra special limited edition??:hmmm:

yes, im going to call it the "Utah" special.....did I do good enough in sport this year to have my own frame? ;)

I honestly just about forgot about this whole thing if not for the color. That is the one thing that has pissed me off. Ok, you dont warrenty your shit product when it breaks....fine, I pay the $100 for a new part. $100 is not the end of the world. But my bike is a 2009, and its still 2009 and you can't even get me the correct replacement? Now if it shows up at my door and I have to press new bearings into it, then im really going to be pissed.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There is a 100% chance you'll have to press the bearings into it. I'd be surprised if it even came with bearings.

Mike679

Shit, I must have gotten lucky when I cracked my chainstay (at one of the welds) on my '06 Stumpjumper a year and a half ago, because I got it replaced gratis by Specialized inside of a week through my LBS. Granted, I am the original owner and this may have been one of those "just this once" situations that Bike N Gear mentioned in an earlier post.

Either way, $100 ain't bad.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
wtf? they never even made a black 29er did they? I thought it was silver or green.

Nope, my color, army green, blue, and that wooden looking demo. From what I'm told specialized's generic replacement parts are painted are painted a generic black.

Maybe ill get lucky and it will come pre tig welded together :)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Little update.

So I was able to get a spec. rep on the phone. I again asked him how the chainstay is not considered part of the frame. He repeated what was written to me. Its not as far as they are concerned. No suprising. However, what I really pressed him on was the fact that I could not get the correct color part for the frame, but he said they just didnt have them available. So I settled for the all black replacement. It did actually come new bearing already pressed in which was nice. Part was $110, thankfully I still had $75 in gift certifcates left from my h2h wins, so it only cost me $35. Got everything swapped over while watching the Jets game. Looks fine to me, so whatever.

here are some pics of the carnage and repairs

broken chainstay
misc+002.jpg

misc+003.jpg

misc+004.jpg

After looking at the two pieces it seems to me that the lower portion of the chainstay failed first. I remember on the ride prior to it breaking that I could not get the derail. cable to stop rubbing on the tire. It was dark and I was not sure of the problem during the ride. Thought the cable just got pulled by a branch or something. Now looking at the broken pieces, it def. looks like the part bent before it finally completely failed.

Anyway, all fixed

misc+005.jpg

misc+006.jpg

misc+008.jpg

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Glad you got your bike running again, joe. Specialized are a bunch of shady d-bags. I've heard almost nothing but good stuff about the way their bikes and equipment work, and my BG gloves fit better than any glove I've had before, but they definitely come off as a really shifty company.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh, so it's part of the suspension then? Because that has a 5 year warranty

Maybe they did that with the brain because it fails so often, but not on regular suspension parts....as I posted before I got this response from the spec. rep.

The warranty on the main front triangle of that frame is a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturers defects for the original owner. However, There is only a one year warranty on workmanship, and materials on chain stay, seat seat stay, and shock links.

I think they will fix your brain for 5 years, but not the suspension links. As I read the warrenty anyway

I do find that to be bullshit, I mean how is it not a piece of the frame? In addition as I said to the rep on the phone. "Dude my bike is a 2009, it was only made in 2 colors, why is the only a chainstay available not in a color that spec. even made the bike in?"

In the end, it was not a major deal and I think the bike looks fine. Plus it didnt cost me much to fix. But it certainly gives me reservation about buying another spec. product. If I had spent the $5000 that some of my other friends who own this same bike did (at a shop new) I would have been far more pissed.

gtluke

The Moped
They will fix any specialized branded shock for 5 years. The front one's that come on the higher end epics and the spec brand rears.
I thought it woudl cover links as well.

The heim joint on my brain is worn out now, I wonder if they will fix that. It's part of the shock but not really part of the shock.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
They will fix any specialized branded shock for 5 years. The front one's that come on the higher end epics and the spec brand rears.
I thought it woudl cover links as well.

The heim joint on my brain is worn out now, I wonder if they will fix that. It's part of the shock but not really part of the shock.

Ya thats a good question. I know they would not warrenty something like the suspension bearings that you and I had to replace this year. So my guess is that it would fall under that. However, I think given the what? 5 or 6 failed brains you have had, you might get lucky.

mfennell

I doubt this will make you feel any better but the swingarm on my Asylum OCD (a Titus Racer-X 29er) was $300. It's kind of narrow in front so if your dish is off and it's out of true AND it's muddy you can actually wear all the way through the aluminum. Who knew? :D

MST.ESQ

Wait a second...

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you order a "frame only" the chainstay comes with it, correct? I would be interested in knowing how they define the part. If not part of the frame, is it part of the suspension as Luke suggests? Considered a "consumable" such as the tires and brake pads? Just curious.

MST.ESQ

Not to derail the thread on you Utah, but if someone from Specialized reads this hopefully they will consider two particular experiences I had as a consumer.

1. Burned out inner o-ring on Delta shower faucet assembly while admittedly soldering a joint without removing the assembly. Result: Delta sent a new assembly the same day. A week later, I returned all the other fixtures not yet installed and replaced them with Delta products.

2. Basically blew apart a Tasco red-dot scope using .357 rounds handloaded with steroids. Called for replacement lens that was 2 years out of warranty. Result, Tasco apologized that the lens broke after being abused by very hot ammo and sent me a new unit with all updated accessories. I now have several Tasco scopes and binoculars.

Moral of the story???

Top Bottom