It's crazy what you find when remodeling

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
How to set an electric box in a fire wall....Not.

IMG_6874.JPG

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
Whats so bad about a little hole...?

the inspector was there for the a/c, and he has seen it before. didn't even blink.
just said to get a permit for the new work

Patrick

Staff member
Not a remodel, but on the bottom of lake george.
I have a friend that dives, and they know where to looks for stuff tossed off boats, or the road.
He found "many"

this is an original issue NYS Troopers Badge 1917ish to 1926. Story has it that they were scheduled to be destroyed at a forge near fort ticonderoga,
but the guys never made it there with the badges, or the money needed to pay the forge for the work....there are a few more floating around the market
that were recovered from lk of the ozarks - which was created in 1929.

Before you ask, yes it is legal to have vintage badges.

I have no idea how to associate it with a trooper - or what the markings mean.

#212 Captain Troop C, Troy NY

IMG_3455.JPG

interesting to think about the time: prohibition, the rise of the automobile. NY WPA in the 1930s
end of ww1.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
My CR-250 was recovered from the bottom of Lake George (140ft!) by a diver also. Sorry wrong thread, belongs in the "You did what when you were young and drunk?" thread.

looking forward to that story....
we dropped a 6hp engine off the back of a boat into 50' of water. belongs in same thread.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
My CR-250 was recovered from the bottom of Lake George (140ft!) by a diver also. Sorry wrong thread, belongs in the "You did what when you were young and drunk?" thread.
Were you able to salvage it and get it running again?

Patrick

Staff member
Doing a backsplash - nice that the last person didn't seal the drywall before tiling. came off with the tile.

buried electrical box - plus undersized wire used to run to the relocated outlet.
looks like a kitchen remodel and someone created a solution.
Really dumb, cause all they needed was to have the box appear in the pantry cabinet next to it, with a blank cover.

1595985806592.png

During the remodel they ran some under/over cabinet lights, before tiling the backsplash.
could have put them a bit deeper, and maybe used a nail guard, but hell. YOLO

1595986152839.png

And in my "rig it" - the customer has central vac, and hates it. Wanted me to remove the outlet in the kitchen.
It looks like electrical conduit, but screwing a 1.5" plug into it worked just fine! Electrical connection moved into the basement ceiling and terminated.

1595987254409.png

serviceguy

Doing a backsplash - nice that the last person didn't seal the drywall before tiling. came off with the tile.
Better adhesion, the tiles did not come off the wall, did they?

He wanted the next guy doing the backsplash to uncover the shotty electrical wall.

Last edited:

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
could have put them a bit deeper, and maybe used a nail guard, but hell. YOLO
My favorite carnival game.

I found multiple buried boxes in my house, one even with the wire nuts missing and no cover. Today I replaced a couple broken tile in our entryway ( I would replace it all but we won’t be here long enough to bother). The broken tiles had the trowel ridges visible and no adhesion. I feel like I’ve been erasing all the poor contractor jobs the previous owner had done. All the older work still presents great, but the work done in the last 20 years was pure hack.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
Nothing that interesting in my parent's house, but the walls were (are?) insulated with newspaper and horse hair.

Apparently the builders were using whatever tabloid-of-the-day was available, the headline was something about Hitler's love-child.
My good friends parents have a shore house in Manasquan. It was redone after Sandy and they had the newspapers they found made into a coffee table top

Top Bottom