It ain't over by a long shot...

BiknBen

Do you think running short studs would be of more season-long value? I imagine that a stud just taller than the knobby would stink in hardpack, but might be good for getting some bite on ice, thin cover snow, and rock-solid frozen trail? The rocky face/stream crossing on the red trail in CR that ALWAYS ices over comes to mind.

No. I don't think it is worthwhile in our area. I've tried a number of configurations over the years and each one was good for only a certain condition.

Generally, the studded tires are heavy and not as flexible. Not something you would want to use all season just to be prepared for that occasional snow day. I always had my studded tires on a spare set of wheels. When the white stuff came down, I just had to swap wheels and go.

In reality, the studs are best on some type of hardpack. The longer the stud, the less packed it needs to be. But a long screw was less than ideal on ice.

If I were in an area that had snow covered roads all season??? Then I would have studded tires. IMO, that what these commercial studded tires are best suited for.

If you want to ride on trials, find the widest tire and run the lowest pressure you can. If the snow is over 5 inches, don't bother.

Top Bottom