It’s just a fad?! OWLS

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have them on every bike I own. While the performance gains may be minimal, it feels weird as hell to go back to round rings.

The most intriguing setup Imo is the one from rotor. When paired with their powermeter it will suggest a specific timing to match your natural power delivery.

When SRAM started making oval rings it became clear that this was not a fad. I've tested Rotor, Absolute Black, Wolftooth, Sram and Raceface. They all have slightly different shapes and power delivery. Rotor and AB are my preferred brands.

In general I don't recommend these with any bike that has a front DER. (I don't recommend front derailleurs is either btw)..

The gains are minimal at the middle of your natural cadence range. When I rode a SS bike all the time, I noted the oval much more at very a high or low cadence.

My most recent build has a oval ring paired with the New Onxy Vesper hub. This combo is pretty striking as it feel like a direct drive.

02camaro

ive ridden a oval for 2yrs, when i built my new bike i had a round one on it for a bit while the oval ring was in transit and it def felt different. im not sure if it makes me better or faster but its more comfortable i think. it may help on techy climbs. i have a absolute black and wolf tooth and i cant tell the difference between the two but they both feel different in a good way compared to round.

i think they shift better too.

szymon

I've used rotor q rings on my road bikes for the last 2 years and put them on my mtb's this year, personally I like how I can adjust where the highest part is in the pedal stroke. Never had a problem shifting with the rotor rings and di2, works very good. For CX I still prefer regular round rings for some reason.

Sven Migot

The only reason I got an oval ring was to make climbing SS a bit easier. The video didn't address climbing (maybe I missed it). Does it help with climbing? I really can't say I can "feel" the difference, but I want it to be true.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The only reason I got an oval ring was to make climbing SS a bit easier. The video didn't address climbing (maybe I missed it). Does it help with climbing? I really can't say I can "feel" the difference, but I want it to be true.
All you really need to know is:
Jim rides an oval
Climbed a mountain
In Alaska
In sub zero temps

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
So the theory is that ovals may feel better than round rings but in reality everyone’s opinion is they can’t tell if it’s any better? One thing I know for sure is if anyone takes an SS out for the first time in the woods they are guaranteed to get a PR.

one piece crank

If a 30T oval is theroretically equivalent to a 32T round, does it feel like a 32T or is it all hidden in mechanical advantage?

Sven Migot

Wolf Tooth says a 34 is like 32/36.

From WT website:
It’s like having two chainrings in one! With PowerTrac Elliptical rings, the larger-diameter section of the ring engages with the chain at the optimal point on the downstroke, or “Power Zone,” – between 1-5 and 7-11 on a clock face – to take advantage of your body’s natural biomechanical POWER: For example, during this section, a PTE 34t ring is equivalent to a 36t round ring. Similarly in the “Recovery Zone” (11-1 and 5-7), the smaller section on the PTE ring engages, maximizing EFFICIENCY in the weakest part of the pedal stroke; here the PTE 34t ring is equivalent to a 32t round ring.

Additionally, the above provides a smoother, more efficient pedal rotation, which means better TRACTION. Steadier torque on the rear wheel means less spinning out in the “Power Zone,” while pedaling is easier during the “Recovery Zone,” so you maintain momentum.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Wolf Tooth says a 34 is like 32/36.

From WT website:
It’s like having two chainrings in one! With PowerTrac Elliptical rings, the larger-diameter section of the ring engages with the chain at the optimal point on the downstroke, or “Power Zone,” – between 1-5 and 7-11 on a clock face – to take advantage of your body’s natural biomechanical POWER: For example, during this section, a PTE 34t ring is equivalent to a 36t round ring. Similarly in the “Recovery Zone” (11-1 and 5-7), the smaller section on the PTE ring engages, maximizing EFFICIENCY in the weakest part of the pedal stroke; here the PTE 34t ring is equivalent to a 32t round ring.

Additionally, the above provides a smoother, more efficient pedal rotation, which means better TRACTION. Steadier torque on the rear wheel means less spinning out in the “Power Zone,” while pedaling is easier during the “Recovery Zone,” so you maintain momentum.
I can see this backfiring on climbs as your cadence slows when in the easier gear thus u slow. With a round ring you would consistently mash?

Top Bottom